TSA pre-check or global entry? WWYD?

LadyBeBop

DIS Veteran
I was just approved for my second credit card that includes either TSA Pre-check or Global Entry. That way, both my husband and I can get either or. But not both.

I know the GE includes pre-check. It’s the wait for the GE interview that worries me.

We fly domestically, maybe about 3-4 times a year. So pre-check would help tremendously. We’re planning a few international trips, but nothing for the next 18 months.

If we go the GE route, I’m assuming we won’t get our pre-check KTN until we are approved for GE. Or am I wrong?

Pre-check or GE? As always, many thanks.

Your GE number serves as your Pre KTN and you'll receive it upon conditional approval, but I would still opt for GE regardless to save yourself the extra hassle and money--chances are pretty good that card will only give you a statement credit for one or the other, and you'll end up paying out of pocket to "upgrade". Wait times vary wildly depending on the enrollment center, even within the same area if you are fortunate to have multiple sites. The center in Lower Manhattan was booked up for months back when I applied for GE but the one at JFK airport was wide open and I was able to get one literally the next day, and walked out of the office with my number. Granted this was pre-covid but it's pretty much back to that now if my sister's very recent experience in the DMV area is any indicator. There's an unofficial appointment scanner site you can use to check availability.

GE is pretty nice to have. Id highly recommend it.

Getting an appointment may be a little more effort - but you can also opt to do the interview on reentry to the United States if conditionally approved. I did not do that, but was planning on it when my wife's renewal required an interview.

If you have zero plans for international travel, TSA pre-check is fine. Even without GE, you would likely stand in the regular line so have to ask if the cost/time/effort to get that is worth it to you if you mostly travel domestically.

When I signed up for TSA pre-check a few years ago, it also included a brief interview but was no big thing. I just renewed mine online so there is no need to appear somewhere in person for renewals not sure how GE works since we have no plans to travel internationally.

... I just renewed mine online so there is no need to appear somewhere in person for renewals not sure how GE works since we have no plans to travel internationally.
Apparently for pre-check renewals they can make you do the in-person thing again. But like you I was able to do it online a couple years ago.

I would go for Global Entry since you do plan on traveling internationally in the near enough future. Even if you aren't traveling for a while that may help ease the stress of finding an appointment but would pay off in the end having that when you do go international in a year and a half. While you may end up flying domestically before you get that Global Entry appointment (thus not having TSA Pre-Check yet) it's the better route to go in the end.

Also Dulles now has interviews for Global Entry before you leave for conditional approved individuals. I imagine if this is successful enough they will expand, depending on staffing levels of course, to other airports.

Apparently for pre-check renewals they can make you do the in-person thing again. But like you I was able to do it online a couple years ago.

Yes, makes sense. I would suspect that if something in your profile is flagged, then the in-person renewal is required.

If you have zero plans for international travel, TSA pre-check is fine. Even without GE, you would likely stand in the regular line so have to ask if the cost/time/effort to get that is worth it to you if you mostly travel domestically.

When I signed up for TSA pre-check a few years ago, it also included a brief interview but was no big thing. I just renewed mine online so there is no need to appear somewhere in person for renewals not sure how GE works since we have no plans to travel internationally.
I was able to renew my GE online without any interview required. Same for DH and my DD.

When we flew back from the Caribbean last year the line for regular entry was so long at Charlotte they held us on the plane for 30 minutes. Having GE saved us at least an hour (probably more) in line after we were allowed off, once we found out where it was because the crowds were blocking it from sight.

It comes down to how much international travel you'll be doing IMO. If only one international trip over multiple years, is GE really worth it? DW & I went to the Dominican Republic last year. We came back through Atlanta. We did not have GE. Not sure if it was Customs or Immigration, but we used the Mobile Passport app, and was able to go to a MUCH shorter line (like a 10 minute compared to guessing 45-60 minutes).

I am considering upgrading to GE when it's time to renew Pre, but only because it would be free and I can hopefully judge better (keep using Pre until GE comes through).

I ended up being similar predicament as you and chose to just get TSA pre-check. I had domestic trips in the near future vs down the road international trips.

But my factors also included that all my international travel includes my kids and we weren’t going to get GE for all of us, so I wouldn’t really be able to take advantage unless we all got it, whereas TSA pre-check applied to my kids also.

That being said, I also used the Mobile Passport app that PP mentioned when I re-entered with my kids last year. My husband had GE and he only beat me by a few minutes but we both beat the regular line by a lot!

How far is your nearest GE interview location? And when is your next domestic trip? I have had Pre for almost 5 years, I got another card with a GE/Pre credit last year so I applied for GE. 381 days later I received conditional approval. Then it was finding a GE interview center. The nearest one to me is 75 miles, but couldn't find anything, next are two more at about 150 miles, no appointments available. The nearest one I could find with available appointments was 250 miles away, but at least it's where my mother lives. In three weeks I'll be driving to see my mother for the weekend and staying an extra day to do the interview, then driving the 4 hours home.
To correct @kylenne when conditionally approved you get your GE number, but it does not become active until after you do your interview and are fully approved. That's in the information I just received along with my conditional approval.

So we had four renewals for GE recently - three of us were immediate and got our cards very quickly.

One got a conditional and had to do an interview - but there were no interviews available.
Online was an options but we did not want to do that.
Because of the delays the current one was extended and we planned to do the interview on reentry to the county.
After a month or so we got a card in the mail and it had magically approved and the card sent.
That seemed very odd to me but I am not going to complain.

Even if I only went every couple of years I find GE very useful - especially in Dublin.
When you do customers in Ireland it is convenient, but the timing is very tight - even when you get there 3 hours before you flight.

Even if I only went every couple of years I find GE very useful - especially in Dublin.
When you do customers in Ireland it is convenient, but the timing is very tight - even when you get there 3 hours before you flight.
I’m curious. How does Global Entry work in Dublin? I thought it was for re-entry into the US only.

I’m curious. How does Global Entry work in Dublin? I thought it was for re-entry into the US only.
Pax preclear US customs and immigration in Ireland. GE works the same as it does when you clear customs in the United States.

I’d go GE. If you plan any Alaska sailings through Vancouver, then definitely Global Entry. While TSA precheck does not get you into shorter lines in foreign countries, GE can help at times. At Vancouver airport, if you have your physical GE card with you, you are able to use expedited security lines similar to our TSA precheck same as those with a Nexxus card. It can save quite a bit of time and was an unexpected GE bonus,

I’d go GE. If you plan any Alaska sailings through Vancouver, then definitely Global Entry. While TSA precheck does not get you into shorter lines in foreign countries, GE can help at times. At Vancouver airport, if you have your physical GE card with you, you are able to use expedited security lines similar to our TSA precheck same as those with a Nexxus card. It can save quite a bit of time and was an unexpected GE bonus,
Pax pre clear US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver. Global Entry works.

Global Entry card will let you use nexus lanes driving FROM. Canada to the United States.

As others said you go through customs and border control in Ireland which is very convenient. When you get to the states you arrive in a domestic terminal and just grab your bag and go.

The time issue is that even when you get to Dublin Airport - even 3 hours in advance you feel rushed.
You go through Airport security and then duty free and maybe grab a drink and they are calling you to go through customs pretty early.

The line there can be long and there is also a second round of security that has the TSA rules (May even be TSA).
The line for GE is much shorter - I also think you skip that second round of security when you have GE - I'm not 100% sure on that. I may have just been lucky but every time they have us skip that second round of security - which is good since its take your shoes and belt off etc...

I prefer to stay in the main terminal as long as possible as once you get through customs there is pretty much nothing to do but wait for your flight. There is one bar and I think Delta is putting in a lounge - but its all very limited and I don't fly with Delta.

I may consider Delta in future though - since this is a pre check thread - going to Ireland - Aer Lingus is not part of the TSA Pre-check which is very annoying. I'm not sure why, but its been enough of a reason for me to fly with Air Portugal the last few trips and only return through Ireland.

Jet Blue is now flying to Ireland- so I'll probably use them in future - I have no doubt Jet Blue has a much better flight experience. Having Pre Check just seals the deal for me.

I would recommend going with Global Entry. Both GE & Pre-Check are good for years, so if you're planning any international travel, then I think it's worth it. I got mine through a credit card as well and got my conditional approval within a few days, maybe a week. The interview part is tricky right now, but if you're able to be a tad flexible then can be done easily. I ended up having to drive about 3 hours, but got an appointment just a few weeks after my conditional approval. The key was checking the website as much as possible. The office I went to said it only adds appointments one week at a time, so I got lucky finding it right after the schedule was released.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter