Two weeks of YUM!

DisneyDotty

Oops, no more!
Just returned from two weeks at WDW (with a Clearwater Beach appetizer). First, for anyone venturing to Clearwater Beach--Frenchy's is a must-eat. The fried fish sandwich is excellent.
Now, here is what I can remember of WDW...Cast includes me (41), DH (also 41), DD (12) and DS (8). We were NOT on the DDP (though I highly recommend the plan).
Artist Point --not at all crowded--we did have an ADR, but if dining there before 7 p.m., you probably wouldn't need it. I had the bison sirloin--tender and sweet. DH had the chef's selection--mushroom soup-delish, salad, salmon, blueberry cobbler--very tasty. DD is a vegetarian, and chef made a nice pasta with mushrooms and broccoli for her. Also good. Both kids enjoyed their special Mickey white chocolate puzzle they could paint for dessert.
Bluezoo --what a treat! DH and I did this while kids were in Camp Dolphin (2 hours free with dinner at Bluezoo!). We split the seafood sampler appetizer--interesting dipping sauces (red wine, a cucumber, French cocktail and traditional cocktail) for our lobster, shrimp, mussels, clams and oysters. I had the fried Cantonese lobster (a lot of meat--2 lbs!) and DH had the surf and turf. Both excellent. Shared the molten chocolate cake with lemon grass filling dessert--amazing combination of tastes.
Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea --a lovely break from the crowds and heat. I actually had hot tea--some of the finest dejarling I've ever had. The sandwiches were tiny but tasty--a good lunch size. And the scone with Devonshire cream--out of this world. I could eat that stuff everyday!
Lovely dessert selection, too--I had eclairs, kids had chocolate covered strawberries.
Sci Fi Drive In --Hadn't expected much of this one--only booked it because DD had requested it--but we all enjoyed ourselves. DD and DS, especially. DH and I had the ribs--a generous portion, a bit dry. But nicely washed down with excellent shakes!
1900 Park Faire Breakfast --made ADR for later in morning (maybe 11:10) and place was empty. Excellent omelettes and bacon (nice and crispy). The food tasted fresh and was the right temperature. I really enjoyed the place--maybe because there were so few people that the buffet never had a line and the characters came around at least 3 times!
Garden Grille --Love the return of the new-old menu! Catfish was fresh, beef was juicy, potatoes garlicky and yummy. Too bad DH still gets nauseous with the revolving restaurant... Great character interaction here, too. I love Chip and Dale.
Pinocchio Haus (or is it Gepettos) at Fantasyland --Don't get the antipasto salad unless you love sour salad dressing. Way too much dressing on this one!
Pecos Bills --Do get the chicken salad here. Dressing is light and just right.
Columbia Harbor House --What a great place to get a tuna sandwich! Very tasty and filling. Also, go upstairs--lots of seating and not as crowded.
Funnel cake stand on the Boardwalk --ohhh my---heaven. Get it drizzled with chocolate. Won't be able to move for an hour after eating it.
Plaza Restaurant --Another great break from the heat and crowds at Magic Kingdom. Get a shake--it can be the meal!
Boma --One of our family's favorites for its variety of unique foods. I really hope TPTB never mess with this one. We enjoy sampling just about everything, which never leaves us room for desserts--which is okay, because the one time I tried them, I thought the zebra domes to be highly overrated!
Tusker House --Yum! Loved the salmon, the rotisserie chicken, the garlic green beans, the veggie wrap sandwich. Some of the best counterservice food in WDW.
Fresh at the Dolphin --We had breakfast and lunch here, and enjoyed both meals. Kind of a buffet/sit down combo. Good salads/sandwiches. Bonus--DS ate free.
San Angel --DH loves the chicken mole. I had the tilapia--very good. Excellent margaritas!
Rose and Crown --excellent fish and chips, although DH could have done without the peas. DD loves the potato and leek soup. Wonderful beer--very refreshing!

Some overall observations: Restaurants in the parks were crowded. Go earlier during the meal hour (11-11:30 for lunch, 5ish for dinner) to beat the crowds. Have an ADR for sit downs. Out of the parks, restaurants weren't nearly as busy the times we went. Resort restaurants provided a nice break for us.
Disney has done a fine job of providing a varied menu in it CS places. Try several. You don't have to eat hamburgers for every CS (unless you really want to!)
My DS and I shared a lot of meals, and never received any complaints/raised eyebrows from the servers.
:sunny:

Thanks for the great reviews!! Blue Zoo sounds like heaven, maybe I need to fit it in somehow. ITA there's no need to eat burgers for lunch every day, I'm sooo looking forward to the tuna sandwich at CHH!!!! :thanks:

You had some of my favorites - Buffalo at AP & the Tuna Sandwich at Columbia (What is it with that tuna??? Yum!)

DH dreams of the Lobster Cantonese at BZ. It's our new fav & must do. In fact, I know we'll be splitting that lobster our first night in the World in Nov (and the littleneck clam flatbread, and the shrimp with creamy polenta....)

As far as burgers at the CS restaurants - never had one since I went as a kid in '73. Too many good things to be had. And I heartily agree with the dressing issue at Pinnochios. That would have been a good salad if it wasn't drowned in dressing. I think there must have been at least a full cup of it on ours in April.

Thanks for the reviews!

Thanks for the reviews. Can you tell me more about the veggie wrap at Tusker House. When we were at WDW in January, they had just changed the veggie sandwich at Tusker House to a pita sandwich and I'm just curious if they are still serving that sandwich. I didn't care for the pita sandwich and don't really want to get it again, but if they have switched to something new, I may want to give it a try.

Thanks!

I'd love to hear more about the Afternoon Tea @ GF. I have scheduled an ADR for this on our trip and I am actually excited about getting to try this place.

Thanks for your reviews. How was the service and atmosphere at Blue Zoo?

Hi again! :wave:
Re: Veggie wrap at Tusker House--sorry--it was the pita stuffed with veggies. DH liked it enough to order it twice.
Afternoon Tea--available in the Garden View restaurant (really, a little room off to the end of the GF lobby--overlooks the gardens). A menu can be found around here somewhere--look under the Dining tab at the top of the page. I had a pot of tea, and DD had a pot of hot chocolate. Although everything was petite, we were full enough that the tea counted as both lunch and dinner. Everything is quite gracious and refined, but my DD ordered 3 PB and J's, and DS stuffed a whole sandwich half in his mouth with no problems. :sunny:
Bluezoo--service was attentive, quick, and gracioius. Liked how servers cleaned off table (with that scraper thing) between courses; were quick to refill our wine and water glasses. Never once was addressed as "You guys" and never once heard "No problem." Here's something I've never experienced before (and I've eaten at several nice restaurants in Chicago)--I was wearing black pants. When we were seated, the hostess asked if I'd like to have a black napkin to match my pants. Interesting...
Atmosphere at Bluezoo was quiet--not very crowded at 7 pm on a Thursday night. Like the decor--like we were underwater. :sunny:

Hi! Thank you for the wonderful reviews. Would you mine telling what characters were at 1900 Park Faire breakfast? We have an ADR booked here in Oct. Thanks! :goodvibes

At Park Faire breakfast, Mary Poppins was at the door to greet us as we went in. Alice and the Mad Hatter and Pooh and Tigger came around to the tables. Enjoy! :sunny:

You're welcome, Heather! A lot of these were new for us, and I gotta say we weren't disappointed (except for that antipasto salad). Maybe it's just the pixie dust, but I think Disney has some really good restaurants. :sunny:

Thanks for the great reviews...you reminded me that I have to try the tuna at Columbia Harbor House!

Wow, Frenchies in Clearwater Beach :sunny: ........I love this place. Did you go to the one on the beach? Actually I really love all of the Frenchies (in Clearwater beach). We go to Clearwater every year. What a place. Did you dine anyplace else? I will be there in Feb. and can't wait! :wizard:

Thanks for the great Disney dining reviews as well. :teeth:

Hi! We pretty much ate at Frenchy's and the breakfast place--maybe it's called the Islander? We didn't eat at the Frenchy's on the beach--we ate at the one across the street from the Hilton/through the bank parking lot--past the breakfast place. (Can you tell I'm not real clear on directions?!)
DH, DS and I loved Clearwater and would definitely add that on to our next WDW vacation. DD thought it was too sandy. :rolleyes: :confused3
Oh--and we did Captain Memo's Pirate cruise. Great fun! :sunny:

I understand your directions:) That is a nice Frenchies too but my favorite is about 4 or 5 blocks from the Hilton on the beach. Great location! The Italian restaurant, Capri, I think that's it's name, directly across from the Hilton is wonderful too! We stop every year! We love the white sand beaches but maybe they are too powdery for you DD:) Hope ahe had time to collect shells! :sunny:

DisneyDotty said:
Hi again! :wave:
Re: Veggie wrap at Tusker House--sorry--it was the pita stuffed with veggies. DH liked it enough to order it twice.
Afternoon Tea--available in the Garden View restaurant (really, a little room off to the end of the GF lobby--overlooks the gardens). A menu can be found around here somewhere--look under the Dining tab at the top of the page. I had a pot of tea, and DD had a pot of hot chocolate. Although everything was petite, we were full enough that the tea counted as both lunch and dinner. Everything is quite gracious and refined, but my DD ordered 3 PB and J's, and DS stuffed a whole sandwich half in his mouth with no problems. :sunny:
Bluezoo--service was attentive, quick, and gracioius. Liked how servers cleaned off table (with that scraper thing) between courses; were quick to refill our wine and water glasses. Never once was addressed as "You guys" and never once heard "No problem." Here's something I've never experienced before (and I've eaten at several nice restaurants in Chicago)--I was wearing black pants. When we were seated, the hostess asked if I'd like to have a black napkin to match my pants. Interesting...
Atmosphere at Bluezoo was quiet--not very crowded at 7 pm on a Thursday night. Like the decor--like we were underwater. :sunny:

Thanks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter