UK-US travel, 2021/2022

I know the masks mandate was expiring on May 3rd, until the court case threw that out, but does anybody know what date the Covid testing for entry expires? I can't find anywhere where it defines an end date for this.

I know the masks mandate was expiring on May 3rd, until the court case threw that out, but does anybody know what date the Covid testing for entry expires? I can't find anywhere where it defines an end date for this.
I suspect it doesn't have an expiry date, much as the 'ban' on European visitors didn't.

The mask thing is/was a domestic USA thing whereas the international entry requirements probably come under a different purview. As such it may be a 'decree' or suchlike that has to be actively revoked.

Unfortunately I don't think there ever was a review or end date for the tests.

I was just reading on another popular UK forum that some people checking in for their flights this morning were told that "all these checks will be stopping soon" . But as always, take these comments with a pinch of salt, but a lot of hope!

Unfortunately I don't think there ever was a review or end date for the tests.

I was just reading on another popular UK forum that some people checking in for their flights this morning were told that "all these checks will be stopping soon" . But as always, take these comments with a pinch of salt, but a lot of hope!

any chance they can stop before our flight on Thursday 🤦‍♂️

There’s a recent article that quotes Delta as saying it may be relaxed soon but who knows. It's the Indie and that's largely clickbait these days.

There’s a recent article that quotes Delta as saying it may be relaxed soon but who knows. It's the Indie and that's largely clickbait these days.

That article is almost a month old so "soon" to them clearly isn't the same as to those of us in the real world :D We flying in a week so prob testing will go in about 2 (rotfl)

We flew yesterday from Manchester and stayed at the Radisson the night before, got to the terminal for check in around 5.30 (thought we were far too early) but there were already at least 50 folks in line.

They started moving the line around 5.45 and we went into the Premium line then and check in took less than 10 minutes with four families in front of us. All documents checked, we had paper copies of vaccine status and negative covid test and they did look at everything, but it was very efficient.

Security, the regular line looked long on both sides of getting your boarding pass scanned. We had Fast Trak and it was the best £10 we had ever spent! Fast Trak lane is clearly visible as you walk up. It took us less than 10 minutes from walking up to security with boarding passes, putting all our stuff in trays, scanned (extra check for me as usual) and walking through the other side. Again, they are being very efficient, the guy we had was very friendly and not abrupt as they sometimes can be, so we were impressed.

We spoke to one family who were in the regular line and waited 40 minutes to scanning their boarding pass and then another 45 minutes getting through.

But it’s nothing like the mayhem T1 were showing a few weeks ago on the news channels.

We used Randox in T2 the day before for our test, can’t fault them. We arrived very early and asked if they could take us and it was fine as it was very quiet. Results came through in about 20 minutes…….longest 20 minutes ever, but both negative.

Now happily in Orlando and wide awake at 3am!

@schumigirl Random question since we’ll be staying at the Radisson again the night before we fly out next month - Is the main restaurant in there open again now by any chance?

@schumigirl Random question since we’ll be staying at the Radisson again the night before we fly out next month - Is the main restaurant in there open again now by any chance?

Yes, the main restaurant is open for dinner from 5pm. We didn’t use it as we had a late lunch and enjoyed the appetisers from the Executive Lounge. I think they still have a limited menu, but seemed to be a decent choice on offer.

Little M bar is back open serving food from lunchtime again which makes a difference for us as we always had lunch there when we arrived.

We flew yesterday from Manchester and stayed at the Radisson the night before, got to the terminal for check in around 5.30 (thought we were far too early) but there were already at least 50 folks in line.

They started moving the line around 5.45 and we went into the Premium line then and check in took less than 10 minutes with four families in front of us. All documents checked, we had paper copies of vaccine status and negative covid test and they did look at everything, but it was very efficient.

Security, the regular line looked long on both sides of getting your boarding pass scanned. We had Fast Trak and it was the best £10 we had ever spent! Fast Trak lane is clearly visible as you walk up. It took us less than 10 minutes from walking up to security with boarding passes, putting all our stuff in trays, scanned (extra check for me as usual) and walking through the other side. Again, they are being very efficient, the guy we had was very friendly and not abrupt as they sometimes can be, so we were impressed.

We spoke to one family who were in the regular line and waited 40 minutes to scanning their boarding pass and then another 45 minutes getting through.

But it’s nothing like the mayhem T1 were showing a few weeks ago on the news channels.

We used Randox in T2 the day before for our test, can’t fault them. We arrived very early and asked if they could take us and it was fine as it was very quiet. Results came through in about 20 minutes…….longest 20 minutes ever, but both negative.

Now happily in Orlando and wide awake at 3am!
Good to hear, we fly out from Manchester at the end of June and are staying at the Radisson. 👍

Yes, the main restaurant is open for dinner from 5pm. We didn’t use it as we had a late lunch and enjoyed the appetisers from the Executive Lounge. I think they still have a limited menu, but seemed to be a decent choice on offer.

Little M bar is back open serving food from lunchtime again which makes a difference for us as we always had lunch there when we arrived.
That’s great to hear! Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Can highly recommend ExpressTest at Heathrow. Tested in the car, and results through within 20 minutes.

Can someone help me with the travel recovery documentation? The CDC website says that if you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19. My doc said he would provide me with a signed letter, but he would need me to provide him with a template since he has never done that before and none of his patients ever requested this until now. My doc usually provides people with a covid recovery document (which I will get as well) but not with a letter that says that the patient is “cleared” for travel. Does anyone know where I can get a reliable template that will be accepted? I know that the process is standardized in the UK but unfortunately not in most of the European Countries. TiA 😊

a letter that says that the patient is “cleared” for travel.
I assume you mean this section in the CDC website:
A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

Did you show that to your doctor?
I'm not sure you can really make a template as most of the information is specific to you and the doctor. The template would be a one line "[name] is fit to travel." I'd add my passport number as well.

As you've probably seen there are a lot of places offering letters for about £50, but I found one that actually has a sample on display here:
https://www.medicspot.co.uk/recovery-certificate/travel-to-usa
Seems a bit OTT to me, but they may want you to feel you are getting your money's worth.

This is a screenshot in case the link fails anytime:
Screenshot_20220513-104020_Chrome.jpg

I assume you mean this section in the CDC website:
A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

Did you show that to your doctor?
I'm not sure you can really make a template as most of the information is specific to you and the doctor. The template would be a one line "[name] is fit to travel." I'd add my passport number as well.

As you've probably seen there are a lot of places offering letters for about £50, but I found one that actually has a sample on display here:
https://www.medicspot.co.uk/recovery-certificate/travel-to-usa
Many thanks :) Since I am based in Germany I do not qualify for the uk offerings for travel letters.
My German doctor was a bit clueless on what to write or how the letter should look like and therefore, he was asking me if there are any "templates" as he did not want to do any mistakes. It is actually a good idea to provide him with the linkt to the CDC website.

Since I am based in Germany
Oh yes, I forgot that, though I wasn't suggesting you get a commercial one. (There must be German equivalents.)
That medicspot example was just meant as a potential template for you/your doctor.

I'd think the letter would be best in English anyway, for ease of immigration.

That medicspot example was just meant as a potential template for you/your doctor.

I'd think the letter would be best in English anyway, for ease of immigration.
Absolutely! I think that was also one of the reasons why he asked if there are any templates since it has to be in English ;)
Thanks again :)

Regarding posts #694-#698 above I thought it might be worth highlighting an aspect of this as it's easily missed.
The CDC website mentions this:
People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

This means that if you have tested positive in the 3 months before travel you absolutely should use the 'recovered' exemption from pre-flight testing, even if it would be easier/cheaper just to do the test. The reason is of course that you might get a 'false' positive on the pre-flight.

I think there is a case for testing earlier even if you aren't aware of having had covid. The UK has just dropped to having 'only' about 1 in 35 of the population being infected from a couple of months where it was about 1 in 20, so an awful lot of people have probably had it without knowing - the LFTs are 80% reliable at best, so aren't a good indication of negativeness.

It's obviously more cost and effort but one way to reduce the risk of a pre-flight fail would be to get a PCR test 2-3 weeks before flying. (CDC:- Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.)
If the test is negative then (unless you catch it in the next couple of weeks) it's likely your pre-flight test will be OK.
If the test is positive you can use it to get the exemption and you're bomb-proof to fly 👍

Regarding posts #694-#698 above I thought it might be worth highlighting an aspect of this as it's easily missed.
The CDC website mentions this:
People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

This means that if you have tested positive in the 3 months before travel you absolutely should use the 'recovered' exemption from pre-flight testing, even if it would be easier/cheaper just to do the test. The reason is of course that you might get a 'false' positive on the pre-flight.

I think there is a case for testing earlier even if you aren't aware of having had covid. The UK has just dropped to having 'only' about 1 in 35 of the population being infected from a couple of months where it was about 1 in 20, so an awful lot of people have probably had it without knowing - the LFTs are 80% reliable at best, so aren't a good indication of negativeness.

It's obviously more cost and effort but one way to reduce the risk of a pre-flight fail would be to get a PCR test 2-3 weeks before flying. (CDC:- Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.)
If the test is negative then (unless you catch it in the next couple of weeks) it's likely your pre-flight test will be OK.
If the test is positive you can use it to get the exemption and you're bomb-proof to fly 👍
Good point.

I've had lots of experience of this, because of my job working offshore which requires testing before each trip. If you have had Covid within 3 months, don't get the PCR test definitely - they are throwing up positive results quite often. For offshore anybody who has tested positive within 3 months of a trip would have a LFT instead. Haven't heard of any issues so far where LFT have been used. So my advice would be to get a LFT not a PCR test if you do go down the testing route. But safer to get the medical exemption.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter