• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ukraine

Because before their independence it was commonly referred to as "The Ukraine" as a region. Now that they are a sovereign state they prefer the proper Ukraine. It was so often referred to using "The" that is is difficult to break the habit for those of us who were around then.

Because before their independence it was commonly referred to as "The Ukraine" as a region. Now that they are a sovereign state they prefer the proper Ukraine. It was so often referred to using "The" that is is difficult to break the habit for those of us who were around then.

Ah Ha! Thanks for the enlightenment!

ETA: But, basically, you're saying I'm old.....

Last edited:
Do you live in LA? cuz we LA ppl like to call all the freeways with "The"... :P

maybe that carried on to the Ukraine...

Do you live in LA? cuz we LA ppl like to call all the freeways with "The"... :P

maybe that carried on to the Ukraine...

I learned to talk like that Saturday Night Live skit "The Californians" when I lived in LA. Take the 405 to the 101 to the 134 to the San Fernando Blvd. exit. It was very rare to say the names the San Diego Freeway, the Ventura Freeway, etc.

Why do I keep wanting to call it "The Ukraine"?

Because you do not speak Ukrainian. You speak English which is a language which has a part of speech called "articles". English articles are words like "a", "an" and "the".

Ukrainian language has no articles and never has had them. BTW my husband is Ukrainian and speaks it fluently however he speaks an almost forgotten language as many Ukrainians there today were Russified and speak more Russian than Ukrainian. His family escaped in the 1940's and therefore the speak Ukrainian without Russian influences.

Because you do not speak Ukrainian. You speak English which is a language which has a part of speech called "articles". English articles are words like "a", "an" and "the".

Ukrainian language has no articles and never has had them. BTW my husband is Ukrainian and speaks it fluently however he speaks an almost forgotten language as many Ukrainians there today were Russified and speak more Russian than Ukrainian. His family escaped in the 1940's and therefore the speak Ukrainian without Russian influences.

But I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't say "The Mexico" or "The France".

Surprised to see a thread on Ukraine! All of my grandparents were born there. Tonight we celebrate Christmas (Nativity) Eve in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Cooked up a storm for traditional family dinner tonight!

Also while we are on the topic, Happy Christmas Eve to everyone. Tomorrow is Christmas day! And here in the N GA mountains we are going to have a white Christmas!

Our children loved having 2 Christmas days and many times 2 Easters. It is such a rich culture and a very proud group of peoples.

Adding the country or Ukraine to Epcot would be incredible!

Surprised to see a thread on Ukraine! All of my grandparents were born there. Tonight we celebrate Christmas (Nativity) Eve in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Cooked up a storm for traditional family dinner tonight!

I see you are celebrating too! We were posting at the same time! Don't you love the food traditions? I miss the cheese filled blintz my mother-in-law use to make. I learned how to do her soup (Borshch), cabbage rolls (Holubtsi), and potato pockets (Varenyky). I wish I had paid better attention to the rest of the delights!

There are recipes for Cheese-filled Nalysnyky on various web sites -- try google! Enjoy your Sviati Vechir, Twende!

There are recipes for Cheese-filled Nalysnyky on various web sites -- try google! Enjoy your Sviati Vechir, Twende!

Дякую (Diakuju) Thank you and Sviati Vechir to you and yours too!

My husband is the native speaker. I understand the language a bit but speaking it is so very difficult! LOL! Hubby came to the US when he was about 4 and his family spoke Ukrainian in the home but were encouraged to speak English every where else. They lived in a predominately slavic neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio. Their family history is incredible and it is really a miracle that anyone survived at all. I bet your grandparents had a very similar background.

We are also due to have a huge, for the south) snow storm so we are going to have a White Christmas to boot!

With the war in Ukraine, a lot of people discuss this country and how to name it properly.
I pray for Ukrainians every day. They deserve a better life.
They definitely don't deserve such an insane neighbours...
Me and my family keep all Ukrainian people in our hearts and even took part in cartodonate project https://cartodonate.com which transformed our old vehicle into fully functioned military car.

Last edited:
Just read your answer, sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for the info on the Ukrainian projects. I think even talking about them can help more people about them and thus help Ukrainians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter