Ulu Cafe has none of these....

No doubt. From what I've heard, the Makahiki 3 course dinner is still worth the price even without all-you-can-eat, but I don't think I'd do the character meal until it's back to normal.

I've also heard this from several reviews. The characters aren't there but the food quality is great, and it's comparable to a similarly priced meal at other restaurants in the area.

I've also heard this from several reviews. The characters aren't there but the food quality is great, and it's comparable to a similarly priced meal at other restaurants in the area.
Now you're making me wish we'd gone! Oh, well, a reason to schedule another Aulani visit, I suppose!

We are here now. There is POG juice everywhere. Ulu has it in the cans and so does the Island Country Market across the street. As does every single store that we have been to. There are different brands, but it is still POG juice. No malasadas here, but the food truck is in Pearl city. They do sell some at the Island Country market but have not tried them. I think the variety of food is just severely lacking at Aulani. You pretty much get the same few options no matter where you order from. Disney, in general, has gone down on their food options and quality.

I think the variety of food is just severely lacking at Aulani. You pretty much get the same few options no matter where you order from. Disney, in general, has gone down on their food options and quality.
Are you making a statement regarding COVID, or do you feel that way about Aulani generally?

I strongly disagree if you're talking about Aulani even in "normal times."

Are you making a statement regarding COVID, or do you feel that way about Aulani generally?

I strongly disagree if you're talking about Aulani even in "normal times."
We were here 3 years ago and also thought that the variety of food was lacking. Maybe it was the type and variety of foods that they had that was the issue. They have a few local foods that are good but after a few days, you get pretty sick of the same thing. We are here now and walked over to the Marriott and we were surprised to see the variety of foods that they had. They also had huge portions for a decent price. I am a huge Disney lover but the food variety has gone down dramatically in the last decade. Especially considering the size of the resort and how many international visitors they get.

We were here 3 years ago and also thought that the variety of food was lacking. Maybe it was the type and variety of foods that they had that was the issue. They have a few local foods that are good but after a few days, you get pretty sick of the same thing. We are here now and walked over to the Marriott and we were surprised to see the variety of foods that they had. They also had huge portions for a decent price. I am a huge Disney lover but the food variety has gone down dramatically in the last decade. Especially considering the size of the resort and how many international visitors they get.
I must say, in most other respects, I'm a "sing-it-from-the-rooftops" Aulani advocate, but yeah....I also feel like the food situation is not what it needs to be. In fact, that's pretty much my only complaint about Aulani. With the exception of Ama Ama, which isn't even open right now (and not reopen????), most of the food is only meh, and it's pricey. I mean, i don't mind pricey if the food is superb, but I'm generally unimpressed with Aulani's food. For us, it's no biggie, bc we own at Aulani, so we always stay in a villa with a full kitchen, in order to be able to buy groceries and cook, but I think for one-and-done folks, it would be disappointing and frustrating. I will admit, we are kind of foodie people, so perhaps we are pickier than some or even most.

I must say, in most other respects, I'm a "sing-it-from-the-rooftops" Aulani advocate, but yeah....I also feel like the food situation is not what it needs to be. In fact, that's pretty much my only complaint about Aulani. With the exception of Ama Ama, which isn't even open right now (and not reopen????), most of the food is only meh, and it's pricey. I mean, i don't mind pricey if the food is superb, but I'm generally unimpressed with Aulani's food. For us, it's no biggie, bc we own at Aulani, so we always stay in a villa with a full kitchen, in order to be able to buy groceries and cook, but I think for one-and-done folks, it would be disappointing and frustrating. I will admit, we are kind of foodie people, so perhaps we are pickier than some or even most.
I did not find Aulani food to be pricey at all. It's Hawaii-expensive, or Disney-expensive, but I don't find it to be Hawaii-Disney-double-expensive.

Do you guys spend loads of time at the resort? Off the top of my head, you have Ulu, AMA AMA, Makahiki, The Olelo Room, the pool menu, Little Opihi, and Mama's. You could eat one meal per day at the resort for a week without repeating a single restaurant.

I did not find Aulani food to be pricey at all. It's Hawaii-expensive, or Disney-expensive, but I don't find it to be Hawaii-Disney-double-expensive.

Do you guys spend loads of time at the resort? Off the top of my head, you have Ulu, AMA AMA, Makahiki, The Olelo Room, the pool menu, Little Opihi, and Mama's. You could eat one meal per day at the resort for a week without repeating a single restaurant.
I think probably part of our issue is that 3 of the 4 of us are vegetarians (or at least pescatarian). Veggie fare is extremely limited on-property. I suppose if we were big meat eaters, it might feel like there was more variety available? Dunno.

I’m heading there in July and would love to have all those options. But I’ve seen here people staying at the resort now say they can’t get into breakfast b/c it’s a character day. The food at (RIP?) AMA AMA and Olelo room were always really excellent, but the rest is just Ok.

The biggest proof of this mediocrity is the status of Monkeypod - which is two steps up from a Limited menu Cheesecake Factory — but takes on a mythical status (they make a good Mai Tai though). We got rained out of the Luau Christmas 2019 and it was a mess - I will never leave important dining dates to them. And things are always fully booked — doesn’t that signal - hey let’s have another option or 2?

That said - I love the atmosphere (especially at night), their rooms are still great, there is value in the villas if you are traveling with family/group, their staff are great and I think the overlay of Disney on Hawaii is very nice.

The biggest proof of this mediocrity is the status of Monkeypod - which is two steps up from a Limited menu Cheesecake Factory — but takes on a mythical status (they make a good Mai Tai though).
We never saw Monkeypod not completely full with a long line waiting in all the 10 days we were there. Didn't even dream of trying to get in. There's a mediocre pizza place in the same little strip mall that was also always packed.

We never saw Monkeypod not completely full with a long line waiting in all the 10 days we were there. Didn't even dream of trying to get in. There's a mediocre pizza place in the same little strip mall that was also always packed.

Good to see confirmation, thank you, I saw they weren’t taking reservations and assumed it would be some stressful and unpleasant experience.

The food at (RIP?) AMA AMA and Olelo room were always really excellent, but the rest is just Ok.
You don't like Makahiki dinner? That buffet was incredible.

Regardless, I don't know what people expect. You conceded that there are two "always really excellent" options. What resort anywhere has many more than two "always really excellent" options? I feel like Aulani's variety is being compared to the entirety of Walt Disney World rather than what it is, a SINGLE hotel. You mentioned Monkeypod like it's somehow surprising that a restaurant across the street from three giant hotels is... busy?

And can we stop with the "AMA AMA is closed forever" nonsense? That's based on absolutely nothing, but everyone here keeps repeating it.

I saw they weren’t taking reservations and assumed it would be some stressful and unpleasant experience.
Yeah, that was one weird thing about the pizza place - the online ordering didn't work, and they didn't answer the phone. If we hadn't walked over there we would have assumed it was closed (like a lot of other restaurants). Never tried to get into Monkeypod so I can't speak to it whatsoever, nor the coffee shop next to it.

Never tried to get into Monkeypod so I can't speak to it whatsoever, nor the coffee shop next to it.
Monkeypod has really great happy hour specials, so I like to go early in the trip before I've adjusted to the time change and have an early dinner.

Island Vintage Coffee has the best breakfast in the area IMO.

SmartSelect_20210525-211719_Chrome.jpg

Monkeypod does take reservations. We went there twice and I both times I walked alone to countertop while the rest of my group stayed at Aulani, got a pager, told them I am at Aulani and gave them my number. I walked back to Aulani and after about 45 mins, they called me and I went with my party of 4 to excellent seats.

The food was very good, but perhaps not as spectacular as I remember pre-covid. The mai tai is the best.

Overall, we found Minas Fish House to be the best restaurant in KoOlina

D
Monkeypod does take reservations. We went there twice and I both times I walked alone to countertop while the rest of my group stayed at Aulani, got a pager, told them I am at Aulani and gave them my number. I walked back to Aulani and after about 45 mins, they called me and I went with my party of 4 to excellent seats.

The food was very good, but perhaps not as spectacular as I remember pre-covid. The mai tai is the best.

Overall, we found Minas Fish House to be the best restaurant in KoOlina
Did you call for reservations? Their Opentable is not accepting reservations currently.

AMA AMA is showing no signs of opening, so I don’t think it’s outsized to be concerned that it is not coming back for some time. And it’s ludicrous to go into a full summer season with ONE sit down restaurant for hundreds and hundreds of rooms (many of them Villas).

And Olelo room is a bar with bar food. Like every halfway decent hotel has. It’s very good - but you can’t make a reservation and if you are planning a trip with a family you want a guaranteed place to eat each night.

Oh, I’m not surprised Monkeypod is busy. Aulani is underserved with respect to dining - so it’s not surprising at all. I’m just surprised people think it’s particularly good

edited to fix formatting

You don't like Makahiki dinner? That buffet was incredible.

Regardless, I don't know what people expect. You conceded that there are two "always really excellent" options. What resort anywhere has many more than two "always really excellent" options? I feel like Aulani's variety is being compared to the entirety of Walt Disney World rather than what it is, a SINGLE hotel. You mentioned Monkeypod like it's somehow surprising that a restaurant across the street from three giant hotels is... busy?

And can we stop with the "AMA AMA is closed forever" nonsense? That's based on absolutely nothing, but everyone here keeps repeating it.

All of what I'm about to say is based on pre-pandemic experiences...

No, I don't like the Makahiki dinner. I thought the buffet was "meh", and even though we tried it a few times over the years we always came away feeling ripped off.

On the other hand, we've really enjoyed our times at the Olelo Room. Their sushi was surprisingly, shockingly, amazingly good. Otherwise I guess I'd agree that it's a typical "upscale hotel lobby bar" kind of place.

I'm surprised a previous poster called Monkeypod "two steps up from a Cheesecake Factory". Maybe I'm overrating the Cheesecake Factory based on personal experiences, but I'd put it one or two steps above Monkeypod. Don't get me wrong, I've had some very enjoyable dining experiences at Monkeypod, but everything from the ambiance to the food quality to the service standards are nothing to write home about.

And I know Roy's gets mixed reviews here, but it's a consistent "must-do" on our Aulani trips. Our meals there have ranged from merely amazing to downright spectacular, and that's over about a dozen visits. I'm not trying to say others haven't had poor experiences, but just want to say our family has never had anything approaching "poor" there.

Finally, when it comes to 'Ama 'Ama, it is our favorite place for a meal in Ko Olina. On a typical 10-night stay at Aulani we'll have 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 4 dinners there. It is honestly one of the highlights of any of our trips and one of the reasons we bought into DVC in the first place. Yes, it is expensive, but no more expensive than any other wonderful restaurant on the islands or in any other big metro area, to be honest. And the location/view is incredible--truly spectacular. Even if 'Ama 'Ama does not return, there is no way in hades that Disney will not put a fine dining restaurant in that location. It's simply a money printing machine.

Did you call for reservations? Their Opentable is not accepting reservations currently.

No, I did not use Opentable.

As I said before, I physically walked over to Monkeypod, went to the checkin counter, said I am a party of 4, got a pager, left my cell phone number, and walked back to Aulani. They called me 45 mins later when my table was ready and we walked back to Monkeypod. Very easy and efficient.

Also, we felt the food was very good and were happy there.

AMA AMA is showing no signs of opening, so I don’t think it’s outsized to be concerned that it is not coming back for some time. And it’s ludicrous to go into a full summer season with ONE sit down restaurant for hundreds and hundreds of rooms (many of them Villas).
You'll get no argument from me regarding the pace of reopening. It's absolutely unforgivable, even with the 30% discount they've been running, to be so far behind the 8 ball. They should have *everything* open right now, with full menus and offerings, unless it's absolutely forbidden by the State of Hawaii. That means housekeeping, valet parking, restaurants, normal shop hours, AMA AMA, all of it.

But since you mention villas... Disney's philosophy across the board seems to be that villas require less restaurant support because some people will cook for themselves. Aulani is about the same size as Old Key West and I don't think anyone will argue that it has way more offerings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter