Universal has lost our business.

jade1

I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.
I hate to say it because we really like having Universal near WDW and we love IOA but the rates of the onsite hotels are just too high now. Have been checking for 2 nights in early August and they are still $200 plus. HRH which is really the only hotel the kids want is $250 plus. FOTL is great but AllStars are around $59 for AP. There are 15 of us going and we would have spent a huge amount of money at Universal (2 nights of 4 rooms, 15 2 park passes, food etc). Now everyone is just saying lets just stay at Allstars and really only about 7 of us will drive over one day and do what we want and come back. I know its supply and demand so why would US care I guess. Bummed.

Sorry about that, but there are numerous offsite hotels you can consider. The discount hotel section on www.usfinfo.com has some great offsite hotels that are less than a mile from Universal. I think there are free shuttles from the hotels too.

I have to say though, even though you won't pay it, someone else will. Someone, like me, knows it is worth the extra money, especially in August, to stay on site to get the front of the line passes. August in Orlando is hell. Everyone is trying to get their last vacation before the kids get back to school. Places are packed, and people will stay on site. I agree it is a lot, but I just paid 240 a night to go on May 21, opening of the mummy. I won't stay anywhere else in Orlando but at Universal.

I have to agree with palmbeachguy... I posted a similiar topic regarding high rates but many people here really do feel that the high cost is worth the front of the line access. Coming from Canada, paying over $200US a night is just too much for me, I cannot justify it right now. However, that said, I imagine the perks of front of the line access are terrific.
One day!!

I agree with the other posters. I would NEVER pay such high rates for a hotel room anywhere else. Granted I have never paid over $200 for a Universal hotel because I am always able to get discounted rates, but I will gladly pay more to stay in Universal hotels for the FOTL perk. It is worth every penny. Plus the convenience to the parks and Citywalk can't be beat.

Coming from the UK.....we stay for 2 weeks....have to agree the rates have gone up a lot since our last stay at the HRH. We really wanted to stay at one of the on-site hotels again, but for us it is £1500 more - even getting front of the line doesn't justify the cost for us. If you are without kids then the whole thing is affordable, but once the kids are 12 and over (when they have to pay full adult price for everything), it just is too much. Last time we got the park entry included as well if you stayed on-site, but they don't do that anymore either!

Have you asked for all of the discounts?

AAA
Fanclub
Annual Pass (one could buy one and it would be worth it)
Entertainment card
Loews club

also check expedia and hotelkingdom.com for cheaper rates.
good luck

I can understand that you believe the price may be too high at HRH, but there is no way to compare the accommodations with the AllStar. These are in no way the same type of hotels. Plenty of nice hotels are over $200.

Believe me, I still think US Resorts with FOTL is still a good deal and have tried to convince the rest but when 15 people love WDW and only 1/2 (mostly kids) really want to go to US/IOA it takes some real incentive (like $129 HRH last year, or $99 RP) to get them to make that choice. When they heard the latest prices they thought I was crazy to even consider that. Allstars does not compare to HRH to me either, but it actually does to them, especially when its $200 a night more (times 4 rooms at 2 nights is $1600 more), plus Wilderness Lodge is only $124 AP for July and believe me THAT does compare for 1/2 the price. Someone will pay it and I wish it were us, but the point of this thread is for many of us that were getting on board the US train, are now riding it back to WDW.

I understand your concern, but as your dates get closer, keep checking. You may be able to find a cheaper rate.

I haven't yet paid less than $200 a night (primarily for the room types we have booked -- PBH Deluxe and RPR Club). I think it's worth every cent. Would I pay rack rate? No way! Well, probably I would. I just wouldn't go as often or stay as long.:D

You are right about Wilderness Lodge as a good comparison ~ We love WL, and have stayed there 3 times. Of course, the main advantage to HRH is the FOTL. When we were at US and IOA, while staying at HRH this April, the wait times for Jimmy Neutron and Shrek, (DSs favorites,) were up to 2 and 3 hours. The FOTL could allow us to walk to the park and see both attractions within an hour. If you are going in July, you may not have waits that long, making the FOTL less important.
Have a great trip.

Originally posted by jade1
Someone will pay it and I wish it were us, but the point of this thread is for many of us that were getting on board the US train, are now riding it back to WDW.

It's a lot like the old Yogi Berra-ism. "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

I had always paid between $99 and $119 for Royal Pacific. My times at Hard Rock and Portofino were just when they opened at $129 and $159 respectively. Yet, earlier this month I was trying to squeeze in a night at any of the three and two were sold out and I had to pay $209 for Royal Pacific.

The economy has turned. Tourism has picked up. Disney will always have discounts because they have so many rooms to fill, but now that FOTL has spoiled so many into ONLY staying on-site at Universal Orlando it's going to be hard to milk those great rates.

By best advice is to keep trying or to book at least one night stay and use it for two whole days of FOTL fun.

It's early August. The summer heat will be brutal. You do NOT want to be cooking in line for too long. Book it at the end of your All Star stay and, comparing the long hot lines of Disney, the small room at All-Star and the convenience of being just a short walk from the parks as opposed to waiting on Disney busses and I think the other 14 in your party will come to appreciate the difference.

I will keep trying, you all make good points. Maybe the group will cave in yet. I think our family of 4 will be back some other time so US has not lost OUR business. I wish they had a little more room to expand and add another park and some more hotels and I DO NOT blame them for increasing (Or not discounting) hotel prices when folks are willing to pay it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Price out a stay at a Universal Studios on site hotel. Then price out a stay somewhere offsite of your choice. What is the difference?

That is the cost of front of the line access.

Are expres pass coupon books still available for less?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I can see what Jade1 is saying, the rates have gone up.
This year we're staying at HRH for 2 nights at $174 using the entertainment rate. We're doing this as a splurge for the Mummy opening, and we've never stayed on site before. Usually, it's the cheap hotels, or All Stars at Disney.
I sound like a broken record, but the way you beat the system is to arrive to the park early. The parking garage opens at 8am. You take a lap at whatever park you want to visit, hit the big rides first, and then leave at noon when the sun is hot. You come back to the All Stars, swim in the pool, rest, then go to a Disney park for the evening.
It can work, you just need to drag the people who are going out of bed early. If they're not up, leave them behind and don't be late.

Sounds good. About 8 of us are going for sure and if I assume we are not on site we are thinking we will arrive early and go in US and do the Mummy and Shrek right away, then hopefully buy the 1 time FOTL coupon? if they still have it for IOA. I will be sure to point out the folks staying on site going to the front all day. It will still be a great day.

About 8 of us are going for sure and if I assume we are not on site we are thinking we will arrive early and go in US and do the Mummy and Shrek right away, then hopefully buy the 1 time FOTL coupon?

That's a good plan -- though Shrek will eat up a good chunk of your time even early in the day (between the wait, the long preshow, the actual show). My advice would be to grab a Shrek Universal Express Pass on your way to Mummy -- because you WANT to hit Mummy first and by the time you're done Shrek is congested from the very beginning because it's the first attraction folks see once they enter the park (well, that and Neutron). Then just do the park clockwise (hitting Men in Black before the crowds get back there) until it's time for your Shrek ride.

One thing on the FOTL pass. They run $20-25 for one park, $25-30 for two parks. A party of eight will mean $200 -- or the equivalent of one night onsite at Royal Pacific (for one room). If you were going to that for two days, buying FOTL tickets the second day it would equal the amount you spend on all eight of you in two rooms for the night inbetween. Subtract out a night at All Stars, and, well, you get my drift. The half that is going to Universal might be better off skipping a night from All Star to do the one night, two day trek of Universal onsite.

Either way, you have the right attitude in getting there early and you have a good plan if you do it your way.

Interesting. That does reduce our room rates by $25 per night on average. Probably worth $200 though since we will save about $1500 by staying at the Allstars (maybe $800 to $1000 less than RP) for 4 rooms and 2 nights. But I do see your point about splitting up. Whats worse is if you could get RP for $99, I could have 2 rooms and 8 FOTL room keys and not even go to the room. But at that point I could convince them all to stay at RP.
ARE YOU SAYING even first thing in the morning, SHREK FP line will be the best bet-then head to the Mummy before that line gets too big, and we should have enough time to make it back to Shrek (maybe even do MIB first)? Would Shrek FP be around 11AM already that early? Or what would you guess? Thanks for all the help on here.

When we were there in Jan., it was very crowded, and the FP line for Shrek was 40 min. long first thing in the morning. The line for the ride was about 2 hours. Yeah, grab a fast pass quickly and have the rest of your party get in line at Mummy. Then join them. Sounds like a good plan.

Originally posted by jade1
ARE YOU SAYING even first thing in the morning, SHREK FP line will be the best bet-then head to the Mummy before that line gets too big, and we should have enough time to make it back to Shrek (maybe even do MIB first)? Would Shrek FP be around 11AM already that early? Or what would you guess? Thanks for all the help on here.

Yes. Keep in mind that you get two windows of time to choose from. When the park opens at 9am I'm guessing the you will have a 10am to 11am option and something like a 12:30pm o 1:30pm option.

Stopping to get the Express Pass should take no more than a minute -- and it's on the way to Mummy. The amount of people that will lap you in that time should be minimal.

And, yes, if you don't have FOTL you will want an Express Pass for Shrek because I've seen that line hover between an hour to well over 90 minutes on a busy day.

Incidentally you can probably go through Mummy THEN get back on through the single-rider line with practically zero wait (assuming everyone in your group is brave enough to go single-rider for a quick reride).

It's all about staying ahead of the crowd. Yes, many will flock to Mummy first but Shrek is a family magnet. And even if you're first in line you will have to wait a good 5-10 minutes before they open up the pre-show room -- another 10-12 minutes in there -- and then another 10-12 minutes in the actual theater. Do that and it's already 9:45am and the crowd has caught up with you. That's why you want the Express Pass for that to tackle it late in the morning or early in the afternoon when the crowds are at their worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter