Universal Orlando (Portofino Bay on-site hotel) refusing to return Child’s soft toy accidentally left in hotel room

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought was customs issues. Shipping within the U.S. different story but international may either be a no-no, too much issues, or location dependent reasons.

I would think they have said why they were unable to ship internationally. Have we gotten the full story here?

I think the reason they can't ship it back is for liability reasons. They don't know what it is stuffed with. If there's a little cocaine etc in it, then that opens a world of liability from customs for them. In addition, they don't know if it's picked up some insects like bed bugs in which case it would open up liability from you.

My daughter had a favorite stuffed toy that she lost several times. I had a closet where I hid new ones for that occurrence.
Domestically I don't think places worry about things like "is this guest a drug mule/harboring drugs" if we opt to ship them a lost or forgotten item...so I'm not sure they would worry about that exact scenario internationally. People do have items shipped to them (sometimes at their expense sometimes at the hotel's expense) enough times in the U.S. by a variety of hotels, restaurants and the like that I just don't think that's Loews policy of wondering about drugs (regardless of the fact that I'm not denying that is a potential way of smuggling drugs there's thousands of other ways)

However I agree customs stuff in the general sense.

There is an almost identical thread in a UK parenting forum at the moment that was posted a day before this post. I can’t post links but I’m not sure this thread is legit.
Why would that mean it's not legit?

I think the reason they can't ship it back is for liability reasons. They don't know what it is stuffed with. If there's a little cocaine etc in it, then that opens a world of liability from customs for them. In addition, they don't know if it's picked up some insects like bed bugs in which case it would open up liability from you.

My daughter had a favorite stuffed toy that she lost several times. I had a closet where I hid new ones for that occurrence.
Could be possible. :scratchin
I would contact Loews directly and find out what their policy for lost items is. If there is no policy stating the do not or cannot send items in the mail overseas then I would contact PB on social media. Companies usually are quick to respond with a solution when their poor customer service is highlighted
:rolleyes: Not satisfying every request under the sun a customer can make isn't poor customer service. Also, not getting what you want all the time isn't the end of the world, either for this OP or her daughter. They should both just get over it.

Domestically I don't think places worry about things like "is this guest a drug mule/harboring drugs" if we opt to ship them a lost or forgotten item...so I'm not sure they would worry about that exact scenario internationally. People do have items shipped to them (sometimes at their expense sometimes at the hotel's expense) enough times in the U.S. by a variety of hotels, restaurants and the like that I just don't think that's Loews policy of wondering about drugs (regardless of the fact that I'm not denying that is a potential way of smuggling drugs there's thousands of other ways)

However I agree customs stuff in the general sense.
“Is this guest a drug mule” has me cracking up! :rotfl:

I had a friend who, when having to fly to his vacation destination, would ship his weed to the hotel in advance. :scared1: (This was back when weed was largely still illegal everywhere.) So, lots of ways hotels could tighten up their policies if they were really concerned about inadvertently being involved in the drug trade.

OP, I think your best bet for getting the plush returned is to take up the DISer on their offer upthread to pick it up for you and have them mail it to the UK. You can make a public fuss afterwards if you must, but my priority would be to get the item out of the hotel’s possession first. They aren’t going to hang onto it forever.

“Is this guest a drug mule” has me cracking up! :rotfl:
lol, it was my first response in my head when I saw the poster say "If there's a little cocaine etc in it." I might have thought something different to match that response if it was weed given how common that is on a personal usage level but cocaine, 'nother story.

I have contacted a few newspapers in the UK and shared my experience with them, hopefully this will be enough to get Loews to return the soft toy
I'm not sure international newspapers hold much sway over Loews which is not an internationally owned company. Have you actually contacted Loews themselves? Or contacted Lowes Portofino Bay again?

And def. under no circumstances follow the advice of demanding the toy. Catch more flies with honey here..

Are they willing to ship with in the US? I left a blanket and a mattress pad in a room at Disney, and totally just excepted to never see it again, they called and shipped it back and even included Mickey Stickers….

I left a couple of keys in the safe at Royal Pacific last December and they shipped them back to me by 2 day mail. So it must be something about what the object is or shipping overseas. It does seem odd on the surface.

I have family in Ireland and some things my sister sends to her grandkids there get refused, wait for months in customs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter