Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

And I'll also say, as somebody who has struggled with their weight their entire life - the scale ain't the only # that's important either. I recently lost 40 lbs. this year, 80 since Nov. '14, but actually did it to improve my labs (triglycerides, Hba1c, glucose, etc.), more than anything, and I did, so that made me very happy, since I was in danger of having to start even MORE meds.
Congrats on the weight loss Heidi!

I don't know which of you is right because unfortunately it's been my experience that a lot of my fellow doctors don't really give great advice in this department. That said, just make sure you are setting a realistic goal for yourself. Also, whatever goal you set, don't be disappointed or feel you've failed if you lose weight and get into a regular exercise routine but don't reach that target number. Better to lose 20 and be in better shape than to lose nothing and be sitting on the sofa every night.

Thanks. 20 would be fine and puts me back into the healthy BMI range. 40 would just give me wiggle room before I have kids.

I was in danger of having to start even MORE meds.
This is something I try to make my patients understand, unfortunately to no avail almost always. You (generic you - not you personally Heidi) wouldn't need to take most of the meds I'm prescribing for you if you would get off your rear, exercise regularly, and stop stuffing your face with crap.

And I'll also say, as somebody who has struggled with their weight their entire life - the scale ain't the only # that's important either. I recently lost 40 lbs. this year, 80 since Nov. '14, but actually did it to improve my labs (triglycerides, Hba1c, glucose, etc.), more than anything, and I did, so that made me very happy, since I was in danger of having to start even MORE meds.

Congratulations! You are right labs are important too.

Congrats on the weight loss Heidi!
Thanx, Ryan. Still keepin' on, still tryin' to get less of me (and forestall the "more meds" some mo'"). :) You know I'm DEFINITELY in awe of what YOU plan to do in Jan!!! :worship:

This is something I try to make my patients understand, unfortunately to no avail almost always. You (generic you - not you personally Heidi) wouldn't need to take most of the meds I'm prescribing for you if you would get off your rear, exercise regularly, and stop stuffing your face with crap.
Yep, totally agree, Steve. That's my next "ask" and "try" - to maybe be able to STOP some of the meds I ALREADY take!

They were able to fix my car...so it should be a nice trip to Florida on Thursday! I can't believe I'm going back down there. Can't wait. I know it's only been a few weeks since I was there, but these few weeks have been stressful and crazy and too busy and hard. I need a break. And I'm excited to look at more apartments.

I'm doing the 5K during the Wine and Dine weekend in November! Can't wait for that either!

@rteetz Good luck with moving to school and getting started with that! It will be amazing. College was the best 8 years of my life. LOL. NO really. I had 5 knee surgeries in college (had to withdraw several times for medical reasons) and transferred 3 times so that really led to things dragging out a bit. Or a lot.

@disneysteve Good luck getting ready for 5K season. You can do it!

You kids all behave tonight. :)

I'm doing the 5K during the Wine and Dine weekend in November! Can't wait for that either!

@rteetz Good luck with moving to school and getting started with that! It will be amazing. College was the best 8 years of my life. LOL. NO really. I had 5 knee surgeries in college (had to withdraw several times for medical reasons) and transferred 3 times so that really led to things dragging out a bit. Or a lot.
Good luck with the 5K!

Thanks!

Oh how fun! I saw the North American Premier in New Jersey with Michael Arden and was so happy that the man playing Quasimodo happens to be a deaf actor! The update to the stage production (I believe the change was made for the American production and was not the case in the Berlin production) makes so much sense and it speaks volumes that this venue cast John McGinity. Please report back on how the production went as I've been interested in this since it was announced. I answered my own question and see Mr. McGinity is not verbal so there will be a shadow singer onstage. It will be interesting how that is handled. If it is like Spring Awakening or something different.
This was the production. His "voice" was incredible. And Mark Jacoby from Ragtime was Frollo. Just amazing!

Oh I almost forgot to share what I started today! If you guys remember from the megameet I made some little crochet Disney dolls. Well today I started to make the most complex one I've ever made. I'm making a Wall-E!
I'd love to see that when it's finished. My wife loves Wall-E. Here's a pic of her Wall-E collection. You might have a customer for that doll when you're done.

UEIGJpL.jpg

We really need to do a RunDisney race one of these years. DW did her first 5K last year at GKTW but she hasn't kept up with it. I'm sure a RunDisney race would motivate her.

We really need to do a RunDisney race one of these years. DW did her first 5K last year at GKTW but she hasn't kept up with it. I'm sure a RunDisney race would motivate her.
I was blown away by the princess 5K in February. It was so well done and so well organized and so much fun. Even for a 5K it felt like such a huge production to be a part of. And being in the world showcase at 6AM was worth it alone! The November one is through Animla Kingdom. That should be fun!

I was blown away by the princess 5K in February. It was so well done and so well organized and so much fun. Even for a 5K it felt like such a huge production to be a part of. And being in the world showcase at 6AM was worth it alone! The November one is through Animla Kingdom. That should be fun!

In your view(s) is it worth it to go to a RunDisney event if you only do the 5K? I've been starting back up at the gym and "running" a bit - but I still haven't figured out this whole "runners high" thing yet and after 30 mins I am hating life so not sure even Disney could motivate me to run for multiple hours to do a 1/2 marathon - but I could do a 5K I think

In your view(s) is it worth it to go to a RunDisney event if you only do the 5K? I've been starting back up at the gym and "running" a bit - but I still haven't figured out this whole "runners high" thing yet and after 30 mins I am hating life so not sure even Disney could motivate me to run for multiple hours to do a 1/2 marathon - but I could do a 5K I think

I definitely think it is worth it. 2 of my friends and I planned our trip just to do the 5K. I walked the entire thing at a brisk pace (I can't really run anymore due to knee issues). I used to LOVE to run though. Before all this knee stuff started 14 years ago, I was obsessed with running. I was even on the track team in college for awhile, but competed in field events. I miss it all terribly.

I've signed up for the 10K next Feb and plan to mostly walk it but slightly jog just enough to be able to do it a little faster.

runDisney encourages a run/walk approach. If you check out the website the trainer they have on there (Jeff Galloway) with tips and all has a whole program you can follow for run/walk for half and full marathons. Maybe something to look into! If I were able to do the bigger races I would so do it and would follow his training.

But I do think it's completely worth it to only do a 5K. Arrive on Wednesday night so you can have plenty of time to do the expo on Thursday (which is really fun) and then the race Friday morning.

The nice thing about the 5K's too is that you can do it that morning and then go play in the parks and not be wiped out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter