UPDATED: MagicBands will NOT be coming to Disneyland

Yes, the doors all have to be retrofitted with magic band readers. I can't fathom for the life of me though how this is supposed to make much difference with such a small percentage of guests staying onsite compared with WDW.

Agreed.

And if they have to retrofit all the hotel doors, and add wifi to the parks...how exactly is this supposed to make more money? The bands are cute, and as the FP collector I'd love to not have a bunch of FPs I'm always afraid of losing. But I HATE wearing stuff on my wrists! Can't they just add the RFID into my AP or ticket & link everything that way? (And no, the "new" APs at DLR don't necessarily have a chip; mine & dh's were purchased 11/19 & they're just a "regular" PAP with an expiration date.)

Forget this Magic Band + business, man! like I've said before, just place all pertinent information into a tiny microchip and then a CM will just quickly inject it under your skin, maybe somewhere near your right wrist. Then upon entry, your scanned with a hand held device, and hopefully all is good. That sure will combat fraud too. :) Now, if Disney would just finally get on board with my idea that will be great.

We did a little bit of preplanning took about 5 mins and we had it all set up and then when we were in the parks and discovered wait lines that were short for those rides we had passes for we jumped on the app and changed them around or kept them for 2nd ride.

See, this is what I don't like about it. Get online 2 months in advance (BTW, DL can't even get an hourly schedule up that fast). Book a ride. Get to the parks and realize that you wasted one of your Top Tier FPs for a ride that has a 5-10 minute line. So instead of just riding on it, you look down at your smart phone, spend 5 minutes changing some stuff. Meanwhile, 2 characters just walked by... and you've managed to spend a quarter of your day looking at a phone. How Magical.

Holy Cow, this seems like a stupid idea! It's exactly why we've switched over from our family fave of WDW to DL. To avoid the FP+ mess.

I hope FP+ never gets to Disneyland. It would stink. I don't like to make plans. We just wander and if we want to go on something, we do. The whole thought of planning what ride I'm going on and when two months in advance is ridiculous.

See, this is what I don't like about it. Get online 2 months in advance (BTW, DL can't even get an hourly schedule up that fast). Book a ride. Get to the parks and realize that you wasted one of your Top Tier FPs for a ride that has a 5-10 minute line. So instead of just riding on it, you look down at your smart phone, spend 5 minutes changing some stuff. Meanwhile, 2 characters just walked by... and you've managed to spend a quarter of your day looking at a phone. How Magical.

Holy Cow, this seems like a stupid idea! It's exactly why we've switched over from our family fave of WDW to DL. To avoid the FP+ mess.

That's a really good point. They like to post park schedules a lot later in the game at DLR. That could be problematic. Although it certainly does not stop WDW from making last minute changes late late in the game after everyone already made all their plans.

It will make a difference(potentially) because of the way you can link your credit card to the band. Can offsite guests do this? Not sure. Will they ever be able to? If so, the potential for people to spend more money in the parks is there. I just hope they leave alone the many attractions that don't need FP.
I don't think everyone can link a credit card to a MagicBand at WDW. My understanding is that you can use your MagicBand for room charges, so it can only be used to make purchases by guests staying at a WDW hotel. At least when I was there in October, we had to have a credit card on file at the hotel and have room charging enabled befre we could use our MagicBands to purchase items.

I don't like FP+ and the need to pre-plan even more aspects of your trip, but in WDW's defense, most of the top tier rides (assuming you're referring to the tiered system at Epcot and DHS) aren't going to have 5-10 minute lines in most cases (at least, I rarely saw rides like Soarin', Test Track, TSMM, and RnR have lines that are only 5 to 10 minutes, even before the implementation of FP+).

In your example, if the FP was not yet active, I would just get in line and then spend a few minutes while in the line, moving the FPs around (I did that a few times). You aren't going to miss seeing characters that way (not that characters randomly walk-by as much at WDW) and you're basically multi-tasking! :rotfl:

I do think it's important to remember that the article did mention that Disney is aware that DLR and WDW are different parks and it's unlikely that the system would be brought over without any changes from WDW to DLR.

Yes, the doors all have to be retrofitted with magic band readers.

I can't fathom for the life of me though how this is supposed to make much difference with such a small percentage of guests staying onsite compared with WDW.

It should be awsome for ALL DVC members that probably make that small %
of guests staying ON site (including those with hotel point ressies) such as myself! :cool1:
Also a LOCAL AP holder !!! :cool1:

This is great news! I loved the Magic Band system at WDW when we used it in August 2014.

Did you dislike the MagicBands or the FP+ system? Those are two different (albeit linked for most folks) things. The MagicBand is the actual band that store your park ticket, room key, etc. information. The FP+ system is the one that requires you to pre-plan and use the in-park kiosks. You don't need a MagicBand in WDW to use FP+ and you don't have to use FP+ even if you have a MagicBand. I'd actually be okay with DLR adding MagicBands, but I'm more hesitant about FP+

I meant the FP+ system. Magic bands with room key and ticket are fine. Even if they eliminate paper fastpasses, I'm ok with that. Just the way that they make it so that you have to plan 2-3 months in advance for rides is what I hate the most. Many of our trips are last minute and so we might get the shaft this way. Big thumbs down. BIG.

I also think it's a good news but most of all, not really a surprise.

Even if I think it's a good news, I think Magic Bands and My Magic + are more appropriate and useful at WDW...

I meant the FP+ system. Magic bands with room key and ticket are fine. Even if they eliminate paper fastpasses, I'm ok with that. Just the way that they make it so that you have to plan 2-3 months in advance for rides is what I hate the most. Many of our trips are last minute and so we might get the shaft this way. Big thumbs down. BIG.

Even if DLR does implement FP+, it won't be as bad as WDW if they do the 60 day thing for on site guests only like at WDW. There are A LOT less on site guests at DLR, so less FP would go ahead of time for a given day, meaning more would be available at the kiosks at park open. At WDW there are so many resorts that most people visiting the park on a given day probably could have made their FP+ picks 60 days in advance...

I always buy hoppers when I go to DLR. :confused:
I think Eclectic Goddess meant that they should make all ticket park hoppers (and eliminate the one-day/one-park ticket). Otherwise, as you said, there is already the ability to park hop and the implementation of MyMagic won't have impact on that.

I meant the FP+ system.
Got it...I was just checking because you said you "disliked the bands" which I took to mean the MagicBands. I'm like you; I liked the MagicBands, but wasn't a big fan of the pre-planning needed for FP+.

Even if DLR does implement FP+, it won't be as bad as WDW if they do the 60 day thing for on site guests only like at WDW. There are A LOT less on site guests at DLR, so less FP would go ahead of time for a given day, meaning more would be available at the kiosks at park open. At WDW there are so many resorts that most people visiting the park on a given day probably could have made their FP+ picks 60 days in advance...
I agree that WDW has more on-site guests with access to the FP+ reservations at 60-days, but don't forget that reservations open up to anyone with a ticket linked to the MDE account at the 30-day mark. It was my experience that you could get plenty of FP+ reservations on fairly short notice (day before, day of), but not for the headliner rides (e.g., TSMM, 7DMT, A&E, Peter Pan, etc.). I don't know that having fewer onsite guests is really going to help day guests get the FP+ reservations for the most popular rides, unless they opt to withhold some percent of the FP+s for in-park selection.

I think Eclectic Goddess meant that they should make all ticket park hoppers (and eliminate the one-day/one-park ticket). Otherwise, as you said, there is already the ability to park hop and the implementation of MyMagic won't have impact on that. Got it...I was just checking because you said you "disliked the bands" which I took to mean the MagicBands. I'm like you; I liked the MagicBands, but wasn't a big fan of the pre-planning needed for FP+. I agree that WDW has more on-site guests with access to the FP+ reservations at 60-days, but don't forget that reservations open up to anyone with a ticket linked to the MDE account at the 30-day mark. It was my experience that you could get plenty of FP+ reservations on fairly short notice (day before, day of), but not for the headliner rides (e.g., TSMM, 7DMT, A&E, Peter Pan, etc.). I don't know that having fewer onsite guests is really going to help day guests get the FP+ reservations for the most popular rides, unless they opt to withhold some percent of the FP+s for in-park selection.

So I'm curious, having never been to WDW, is MDE limited to those with an actual ticket? And if so, does that mean all APers are left with whatever FPs remain when they get there?

Obviously I haven't experienced FP+, and I'm not sure what a MB will do for us, other than give ds access to exclusive content on his Infinity game :). But right now dh & I have APs, and we get the kids' tix whenever we get around to it. Not necessarily 60 days in advance. So in theory, I could get mine & dh's FPs 60 days ahead, but not my kids? Crazy! And I know I'm not the only family in this situation.

But what DLR lacks in onsite guests it makes up for spades in local AP holders. And it remains to be seen how they would impact a ride reservation system. How many of them would book RSR "just in case" they decide to pop in after work?

But what DLR lacks in onsite guests it makes up for spades in local AP holders. And it remains to be seen how they would impact a ride reservation system. How many of them would book RSR "just in case" they decide to pop in after work?

Can you imagine the mess that would cause? Not only on RSR but on any headliner that has FP+.

So I'm curious, having never been to WDW, is MDE limited to those with an actual ticket? And if so, does that mean all APers are left with whatever FPs remain when they get there?
No, you don't even have to visit WDW to have a MDE (My Disney Experience) account (just sign up for one at waltdisneyworld.com). In terms of FP+, you just have to have a valid ticket (including AP) to make FP+ reservations. Guests staying onsite (at one of the WDW hotels) can make FP+ reservations starting 60-day in advance, while everyone else can make them starting 30-days in advance (everyone has to have a valid ticket regardless).

So if DLR were to copy WDW system, then anyone staying at DLH, GCH, or PPI would be able to make FP+ reservations 60-days in advance, while everyone else (including AP holders) would be able to make reservations 30-days in advance. Folks that do not know about FP+, do not make reservations in advance, or do not have tickets purchased and linked to their accounts, would be able to make FP+ reservations once they get to the parks. By then, the most popular ones are usually already long gone.

Obviously I haven't experienced FP+, and I'm not sure what a MB will do for us, other than give ds access to exclusive content on his Infinity game :). But right now dh & I have APs, and we get the kids' tix whenever we get around to it. Not necessarily 60 days in advance. So in theory, I could get mine & dh's FPs 60 days ahead, but not my kids? Crazy! And I know I'm not the only family in this situation.
Assuming DLR uses MagicBands in a way similar to WDW, then the MagicBand would essentially become your park ticket (assuming you link your park ticket to your MDE account and then link your MagicBand to your MDE account), you would use it to redeem your FP+ reservations, scan it for your PhotoPass photos, etc.

Yes, in your case, you would have a problem. You'd be able to make FP+ reservations for you and your DH, but you would have to wait to make the kid's reservations until you have their ticket. Whether you could get FP+ times to match yours later, that all depends on what is left in the system when you link their tickets. While I don't think you're unique in this, I don't know that it's as big of an issue at WDW. I do think more folks go for big family vacations and end up buying everyone's ticket either as part of a package through Disney or all at one time through a ticket broker. I can see it becoming an issue at DLR.

Well duh!

I live in the Sacramento area, and I'd be booking FP+ "just in case". Heck we've already talked about when we want to try & go back. So of course I'd book our FP+ if we thought we might make it down on a given day, whether we actually went or not.

Well duh!

I live in the Sacramento area, and I'd be booking FP+ "just in case". Heck we've already talked about when we want to try & go back. So of course I'd book our FP+ if we thought we might make it down on a given day, whether we actually went or not.

I think the way it's set up at WDW is that AP holders can book up to 7 days worth of FPs and they have access 30 days out (unless staying onsite).

I would love to see them change the system to allow access to the system only after people are within the park. But given that Disney has stated that the goal of the system is to get people to "lock in" their Disney days, I just don't see that happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter