US ridiculous age requirement

DizneyFamof4

DIS Veteran
My 19 year old daughter and 3 of her friends earlier this year reserved a room at WDW and spent 4 days there. They had such a great time that they decided to try and do this 1-2 times a year and do both WDW and US. Well they went to schedule US for their next trip only to find out that they have to be 21 to stay at US:sad2: So they will be going back to WDW and US will lose out $ for at least the next couple of years.

While unfortunate for your daughter, it's quite common that there are age restrictions. We faced this when a friend's son and DIL tried to rent a car on their honeymoon and were not old enough (early 20's) for the car rental agencies.

I'm sure the restrictions are there for a reason even though your dd and her friends would have been wonderful guests for US to host.

While unfortunate for your daughter, it's quite common that there are age restrictions. We faced this when a friend's son and DIL tried to rent a car on their honeymoon and were not old enough (early 20's) for the car rental agencies.

I'm sure the restrictions are there for a reason even though your dd and her friends would have been wonderful guests for US to host.
If there really was a good reason then I believe WDW would also have the 21 requirement. Plus, majority of hotels in FL is 18, I totally understand 21 at hotels that have alcohol in the rooms but other then that no, especially places like WDW and US etc. To me renting a vehicle is apple to oranges compared to a hotel room, because insurance rates for drivers under 25 is sky high. I know a lot of car rental places in Florida will rent to 21 and older but they charge an extra fee for drivers under 25. Sorry but I cannot agree with the 21 for a room.

Your DD is lucky they can go to WDW. I'm surprised WDW is willing to take the risk but I guess they figure with so many other hotels taking 18+ in FL they aren't on the top of the list for party wrecked hotel rooms.

If there really was a good reason...
Seriously? I did convention traveling in college, saw numerous wrecked hotel rooms by 18-20yo's. Congrats you have a DD with friends who want to spend their money on Disney instead of partying but like, c'mon. The risk profile is working for Disney but I absolutely get why Universal isn't willing to risk it.

I'm actually surprised it is as low as 21 as I would guess that that age would be even more prone to get wasted and trash a room. I'm so used to it being 23 or even 25 to rent that 21 sounds low. My junior always has trouble trying to find rooms and condos or houses to rent when she goes on trips, but it sounds like Orlando is lower than the average US city. Still, I can see Universal not wanting to take the risk.

It is ridiculous that hotels will not rent to 18 year olds. I'm surprised to hear that Disney does. I don't know what people do who are on their honeymoon and are under 21. My daughter is in the same boat. She had concert tickets about 3 hours from her college. I couldn't find anywhere for her to stay so she and her friend were stuck driving back that night. She didn't get home until 4am.

She loves to travel, but it's almost impossible to find a place where she can stay. It's not right since she is a legal adult. She has a valid credit card. When I was her age, I was travelling around Europe without difficulty. I get that some kids are bad and will trash a place, but I think there are a lot of responsible young adults out there. It seems like 18 isn't a true adult in the US anymore. You have to be 21 or older for everything.

She has found that some AirBnBs will rent to 18 year olds. The other thing we have considered doing is having me rent a room at the Hampton Inn or other Hilton property with online check-in. I would list her as the second guest. Then I would check in on my phone and she could use her phone to open the door. It's risky because the phones don't always work and if she flys somewhere and she can't get in, then she would be stuck without a place to stay.

I will also add that the age restriction on hotel rooms (most big chains will not rent to under 21) is quite problematic for college kids. My daughter's college kicks them out on a certain date for Christmas break right after mid-terms. She has friends who cannot get flights out that night after finals, but they cannot find a hotel to stay for that one night. Her college will not let the students stay in the dorm for the extra day. I've heard of the same problem at other colleges. When they have to leave the dorm for spring break but they can't fly home for that week, they have no place to stay. It's a real problem. Motel 6 does rent to 18 year olds but I don't feel like it's a super safe solution.

I will also add that the age restriction on hotel rooms (most big chains will not rent to under 21) is quite problematic for college kids. My daughter's college kicks them out on a certain date for Christmas break right after mid-terms. She has friends who cannot get flights out that night after finals, but they cannot find a hotel to stay for that one night. Her college will not let the students stay in the dorm for the extra day. I've heard of the same problem at other colleges. When they have to leave the dorm for spring break but they can't fly home for that week, they have no place to stay. It's a real problem. Motel 6 does rent to 18 year olds but I don't feel like it's a super safe solution.
That is an issue definitely. What about checking in on the app (like Hilton, etc.) and doing the digital key so that you don't need to go to the front desk at all.

I would look at the hotels right outside Universal. It would be a relatively short walk or rideshare to the park. A lot of them also have shuttles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter