• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using Disney gift cards then transferring to Costco

They could have a placeholder that they used when they booked their current cruise. I know that if you don't use a TA and get a placeholder, you have 30 days to move it to a TA, if not, you have to book your cruise through DCL to use the placeholder.

Psy

Does placeholder mean reservation/deposit? I think I am missing something. I guess if you didn't know you could transfer to Costco and get the additional benefits but if you plan to transfer, why go through DCL (or any TA) at all?

They could have a placeholder that they used when they booked their current cruise. I know that if you don't use a TA and get a placeholder, you have 30 days to move it to a TA, if not, you have to book your cruise through DCL to use the placeholder.
But if it's past that 30 days they still can't transfer it to a TA.

Does placeholder mean reservation/deposit? I think I am missing something. I guess if you didn't know you could transfer to Costco and get the additional benefits but if you plan to transfer, why go through DCL (or any TA) at all?
That is correct. The placeholder is a reservation number and must be transferred to a TA within 30 days.

Some folks simply prefer to book directly online themselves and then transfer the reservation. Though I believe when you book through Costco, at least on the advanced booking dates when itineraries are released to CC levels, you might need to do it by phone. Or maybe that's only if you have a placeholder to use. In the OP's situation, I believe they didn't realize they could use gift cards to pay through Costco and thus wanted to book direct, make most payments with gift cards, and then transfer.

But if it's past that 30 days they still can't transfer it to a TA.

That is correct. The placeholder is a reservation number and must be transferred to a TA within 30 days.

Some folks simply prefer to book directly online themselves and then transfer the reservation. Though I believe when you book through Costco, at least on the advanced booking dates when itineraries are released to CC levels, you might need to do it by phone. Or maybe that's only if you have a placeholder to use. In the OP's situation, I believe they didn't realize they could use gift cards to pay through Costco and thus wanted to book direct, make most payments with gift cards, and then transfer.

Great information. Costco must follow DCL policies such as the current 10% (instead of 20%) deposit? How would you even pay via Giftcard? You give the operator the 4904094320940949 digit/pin in $500 increments? :) How would that be refunded? Another Giftcard?

Great information. Costco must follow DCL policies such as the current 10% (instead of 20%) deposit? How would you even pay via Giftcard? You give the operator the 4904094320940949 digit/pin in $500 increments? :) How would that be refunded? Another Giftcard?
Costco follows DCL's policies -- though I believe Costco imposes and earlier PIF date. TAs may have additional fees involved (change fees, cancellation fees, earlier PIF, etc.), though I don't think Costco has additional fees.

Standard DCL deposit is 20%. That's what Costco will charge unless you are booking with a placeholder and qualify for a 10% discount. OR right now there is a current promotion for a reduced deposit so be sure to ask for that as it may not be "standard."

Yes, you'll give the Costco rep the gift card number. I recommend consolidating them (up to $1K max) so you have fewer card numbers. Be sure to keep track of those because any refund is returned to a used gift card (but it can sometimes be a challenge to figure out which).

Costco follows DCL's policies -- though I believe Costco imposes and earlier PIF date. TAs may have additional fees involved (change fees, cancellation fees, earlier PIF, etc.), though I don't think Costco has additional fees.

Standard DCL deposit is 20%. That's what Costco will charge unless you are booking with a placeholder and qualify for a 10% discount. OR right now there is a current promotion for a reduced deposit so be sure to ask for that as it may not be "standard."

Yes, you'll give the Costco rep the gift card number. I recommend consolidating them (up to $1K max) so you have fewer card numbers. Be sure to keep track of those because any refund is returned to a used gift card (but it can sometimes be a challenge to figure out which).

This is a good reason to book via DCL and transfer. You don't have to worry about them not giving those benefits.

What would be the benefit for booking via DCL and transferring to Costco? Why not just book through Costco if the benefits are the same? I assume you are buying Disney Gift Cards via Target 5%. Does that mean you would get 8.5% (appox) Gift Card, 5% off Target Gift cards, and 2% via Executive Membership?
I noticed Costco doesn’t have the same or as much availability of specific staterooms as you booking direct with Disney.

I usually assign my placeholder to Costco and then when cruises come out book through them. The only downside for me is if I’m booking on opening day. I have to wait for Costco to open. However it is still worth it to me. This holiday, Costco offered a reduced DGC and I was able to use my earned shop card from my cruise to pay for it.

A placeholder is what you purchase while you are on a cruise. It is $250 and then after your cruise you can book another one using the placeholder and receive a 10% discount (some cruises are not eligible), then the $250 is applied as your deposit (you may have to leave more depending on the cost of your cruise).

When you book a placeholder onboard, the only options are assigning it to the travel agent you used for your current cruise or using no travel agent. If you want to use a travel agent that you didn’t use for your current cruise, you need to transfer the placeholder to that agent/agency within 30 days.

Costco will take dgc as payment, you just have to call it in, there's no need to wait to pay it almost down before transferring. Much easier to designate them as the TA in the first place when you buy the placeholder onboard, if you can. The only benefit I can think of not to is if you already have all the gift cards and want to avoid a phone call reciting strings of numbers.

Costco limits 2 per 'deal' but you can snag 2 orders if you book immediately right after each other and if you have another email linked. I snagged $2K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter