• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using DVC points for “hotel room”

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
So just returned from a cash stay at Boardwalk Inn. In the bathroom they had a sign hanging about towel service and it said something to the effect of “if staying in a hotel room on DVC points “ and it explained the towel service. So I was hanging in the lobby and asked the DVC guides there if points could be used to book an INN room and he said no. The. I asked one of the front desk people if we booked a DVC villa and wanted to stay in a hotel room on the INN side could we? She said yes and we may end up being refunded a few points.
Has anyone done this? Certain shorter trips we prefer the Inn side as we always stay in studios but sometimes just don’t need the toaster and microwave and like having the two queen beds.

If you purchased direct or are grandfathered resale, you can change your points to reservation points that can be used on the hotel side. However, note, it will cost more points

Was the sign there because people who booked the Boardwalk Villas on DVC points have been moved to the Boardwalk Inn because of the refurbishment?

Was the sign there because people who booked the Boardwalk Villas on DVC points have been moved to the Boardwalk Inn because of the refurbishment?
I don’t think so. It was a standard sign in the bathroom hanging on the towel rack that explained the towel service for all types of stays, cash, DVC and staying in hotel room on DVC points

If you purchased direct or are grandfathered resale, you can change your points to reservation points that can be used on the hotel side. However, note, it will cost more points
This is what confused me that’s what I thought but the person I asked she appeared to be a manager, in a blue suit not hotel costume, and I said we are coming in two months on a DVC stay, if we want to stay on the hotel side can we. And she said yes but there will be a price difference and we will probably have to refund some points to you so make sure if that happens you will be able to use the refunded points and they don’t go to waste. So she seemed like she knew what she was talking about

I’m not doubting what you’re saying. I’m not talking about booking the hotel with DVC points I asked if we had a DVC reservation and showed up and asked to stay in a hotel room can we and she said yes but would get points refunded.

I’m not doubting what you’re saying. I’m not talking about booking the hotel with DVC points I asked if we had a DVC reservation and showed up and asked to stay in a hotel room can we and she said yes but would get points refunded
i don‘t see how points would be refunded. Hotel rooms are more points than studios. Unless you are going to pay cash. Points would probably go into holding.

Maybe this is a temporary thing because of construction? DVC members complaining about noise on the DVC side, for example.

I’m not doubting what you’re saying. I’m not talking about booking the hotel with DVC points I asked if we had a DVC reservation and showed up and asked to stay in a hotel room can we and she said yes but would get points refunded.

You can’t stay in an inn room on DVC points if you booked a DVC room, unless there is an issue and they move you.

Plus, hotel rooms costs more points, not less, so that alone was not correct.

As mentioned, only points purchased direct or resale points purchased before 2012 can be traded into the hotel rooms.

You received incorrect information from both the DVC Guide and the front desk. You can use points to book, through MS, the "Disney Collection" hotels, which include the Boardwalk Inn. However, you cannot switch to an Inn room using the points for a villas room when you arrive. Moreover, what the front desk told you was obviously false, because if you switched to a hotel room you would not get any points back because the number of points required per night for a Boardwalk Inn hotel room averages about 65, far more than a BWV 2BR villa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter