UY choice-Teacher

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
My niece is a teacher. She and her husband are considering buying resale. Since she's a teacher she has to travel in July or August for the forseeable future. Am I right in suggesting a use year of Feb, Mar, Apr, or June? Don't want to steer her wrong.

We went with June to start, as I was a teacher. We then decided that going for a quick trip for Memorial Day was something we wanted, so we added on more points with a Dec UY…

But the other UYs you mention work.

Any of those would work, if I were in this situation I may opt for March (to encompass Spring Break) or April (to encompass Christmas trips). But Feb and June work just fine as well.

Last edited:
I am a teacher in the northeast. We go to school until the end of June. We travel typically in August. Our use year is June. Once I retire though, I am thinking May is going to be a great time to go to Disney (along with September) so we may add on with another use year strictly for the spring trip. Having the June UY allows us the opportunity to try and use the points throughout the year if any of our August trips had to be cancelled. Good luck.

Any of those would work, if I were in this situation I may opt for March (to encompass Spring Break) or April (to encompass Christmas trips). But Feb and June work jusf fine as well.
I second this for similar reasoning. I think March is ideal as it ensures no issues with a spring break trip (even in years it might be early) and also covers most of the Christmas/winter break. The only period it doesn't cover is "ski week" and any days in January your winter break might extend into (but in reality even those January are likely safe as you'll always want to do your best to cancel trips at least 30 days ahead of time to avoid "restricted points" which would mean you'd be cancelling in December and still able to bank).

My daughter is a teacher and granddaughter is just starting school in NJ so we figured we would travel in August. Our use year is August.

I am a teacher with a Feb and August use year, and we just plan our vacations according to what we want to do, not worrying about the use year. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but we always have the points we need, when we need them. 🤷‍♀️

I am a teacher with a Feb and August use year, and we just plan our vacations according to what we want to do, not worrying about the use year. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but we always have the points we need, when we need them. 🤷‍♀️
You're probably doing it all right; in general, use year's should only matter when something goes really wrong. The idea being it only matters if you have to cancel a vacation rather last minute and occurs during the final two months of your use year (when you're unable to bank the points forward to be used in the future). In reality, it should hopefully never matter much to you.

As above, UY doesn’t matter when booking. It only matters if/when you have to cancel close to the time of the reservation.

I like my Aulani March UY as a teacher. Spring, summer and fall breaks are all before the banking date of Halloween, which is fairly easy to remember. Winter break gets dicier so that’s the risk.

My VGC contract is September which isn’t quite as smooth, but I think of the UY as a school year.

We are both teachers and our contracts are both April UY’s. It is perfect as the only times we really have to worry about are times we can’t really travel: Dec-March.

We are both teachers and our contracts are both April UY’s. It is perfect as the only times we really have to worry about are times we can’t really travel: Dec-March.
I own an April UY for this reason. Something I took into consideration was when my kids would be able to go. Right now we like going in early May and in the fall but I knew our kids would most likely only be able to go during summer and in December for winter break. April UY covers December as well because as long as you cancel before the holding period for your trip in December you can still bank your points in November.

Personally I think December could be one of the best choices for a teacher. Covers Christmas/winter/spring break and summer. It covers August because if you didn't cancel your trip and bank your points by July 31st they would be in holding with any other use year anyway.
My niece is a teacher. She and her husband are considering buying resale. Since she's a teacher she has to travel in July or August for the forseeable future. Am I right in suggesting a use year of Feb, Mar, Apr, or June? Don't want to steer her wrong

I also have an April UY. My only issue with it has been the difficulty of finding small add ons via resale. There don't seem to be a lot of April UY points out there.

I also have an April UY. My only issue with it has been the difficulty of finding small add ons via resale. There don't seem to be a lot of April UY points out there.
Oh Lord, you are not kidding. We were literally one of the last few people that added on before the price crash. We ended up paying a huge premium over the current prices to get our CC April Use Year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter