• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacation 2022 Questions (ABD or Cruise)

BeachQueen

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am asking for suggestion/opinions for our 2022 family vacation. I want to do one of the following two things:
1) an Adventurers by Disney trip or
2) a Disney cruise (ideally to Greece)

At the time of travel, our children will be 14, 12, 6, and 8. So based on the two options I listed above,
1) can someone recommend an ABD trip that might be fun for all ages I mentioned? I prefer Europe or Asian (not Japan)
2) does anyone know if Disney plans to cruise to Greece in Summer 2022?

Thanks!

I suggest the Greece ABD!! It is an amazing trip! I've taken 11 ABDs, and Greece remains my #2 favorite trip. (It was #1 until I did the Japan ABD). Greece is really amazing, and the ABD trip is just a superb combination of fabulous sights, wonderful activities, fascinating history, INCREDIBLE food, and amazing hotels/resorts!

You won't be sorry!!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Something to consider is that with 4 kids, you'll be limited to 2 rooms, each with 3 beds, on an ABD from what I hear. On a cruise there will be rooms that hold 5, so if you get two connecting rooms, there's more room total for the family. If you're able to bring another adult, you can get 3 rooms on the ABD (or the cruise for that matter though that might be less an issue with the connecting rooms.)

Not sure that matters to you, but as a mom to 4 myself, I've weighed these options too.

Something to consider is that with 4 kids, you'll be limited to 2 rooms, each with 3 beds, on an ABD from what I hear. On a cruise there will be rooms that hold 5, so if you get two connecting rooms, there's more room total for the family. If you're able to bring another adult, you can get 3 rooms on the ABD (or the cruise for that matter though that might be less an issue with the connecting rooms.)

Not sure that matters to you, but as a mom to 4 myself, I've weighed these options too.
That is generally true that they'd need 2 rooms for 6 people (depends on the trip as to the exact configuration). However, the cost is the same, as you pay per person, not per room. Having 2 bathrooms could be a big advantage.

For example, here's the configurations they list for the Greece ABD:

(Most aren't as complex as this, but the Greece trip stays in some pretty nice resorts.)

Note on Accommodations (Subject to Availability):

Parties of 3:

• In Athens: 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 sofa bed or rollaway or 1 room with 2 twin beds and 1 sofa bed or rollaway.
  • In Santorini: 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 rollaway or 2 twin beds plus 1 rollaway.
  • In Crete (2 adults/1 child): 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 sofa bed or 1 room with 2 twin beds and 1 sofa bed or 1 room with 2 queen beds and 1 sofa bed
  • In Crete (3 adults): 2 rooms with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds near 1 queen/single bed
Parties of 4 booked as a quad:
  • In Athens (2 adults/2 children): 1 room with 2 twin beds, 1 sofa bed and 1 rollaway or 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds
  • In Athens (3 adults/1 child or 4 adults): 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds
  • In Santorini (2 adults/2 children): 1 family room with double bed upstairs and 2 sofa beds downstairs
  • In Santorini (3 adults/1 child, or 4 adults): 2 adjoining double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds
  • In Crete: 2 connecting double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds
Parties of 4 booked as 2 doubles (2 reservations):
  • In Athens: 2 rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
  • In Athens (3 adults/1 child or 4 adults): 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds.
  • In Santorini: 2 adjoining double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
  • In Crete: 2 double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
Sayhello

We are expecting that DCL will go to Greece in 2022. Last year's cruise there was cancelled and I expect the 2021 Med cruise will be too.

Yes, I didn't make that clear. It's not the cost but the size of the third bed, the size of the room, and just more space in general. Hence it not being quite as big an issue on DCL with those 5 person family rooms. We did that with an adjoining room and it worked nicely.

Most hotels don't really care who sleeps where. We would usually put one of the younger kids with one of the older teens in hotel rooms, depending on configuration.

Definitely take the bedroom issues into consideration. Also note that you are not guaranteed connecting rooms. For instance, on the Italy trip (Rome, Tuscany, Venice), the Tuscany hotel didn't have connecting rooms. We did get connecting rooms the other two cities.

I suggest the Greece ABD!! It is an amazing trip! I've taken 11 ABDs, and Greece remains my #2 favorite trip. (It was #1 until I did the Japan ABD). Greece is really amazing, and the ABD trip is just a superb combination of fabulous sights, wonderful activities, fascinating history, INCREDIBLE food, and amazing hotels/resorts!

You won't be sorry!!

Sayhello
Thank you! I have been looking at that one and it looks incredible!

Definitely something to think about. We have taken Disney cruises before and we get to adjoining rooms. Our travel agent said that if we do an ABD, we could book two rooms, with one adult and two kids in each. No guarantee that they will be connecting rooms, but they can request next-door to one another if adjoining is not possible

That is generally true that they'd need 2 rooms for 6 people (depends on the trip as to the exact configuration). However, the cost is the same, as you pay per person, not per room. Having 2 bathrooms could be a big advantage.

For example, here's the configurations they list for the Greece ABD:

(Most aren't as complex as this, but the Greece trip stays in some pretty nice resorts.)

Note on Accommodations (Subject to Availability):

Parties of 3:

• In Athens: 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 sofa bed or rollaway or 1 room with 2 twin beds and 1 sofa bed or rollaway.
  • In Santorini: 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 rollaway or 2 twin beds plus 1 rollaway.
  • In Crete (2 adults/1 child): 1 room with 1 queen bed and 1 sofa bed or 1 room with 2 twin beds and 1 sofa bed or 1 room with 2 queen beds and 1 sofa bed
  • In Crete (3 adults): 2 rooms with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds near 1 queen/single bed
Parties of 4 booked as a quad:
  • In Athens (2 adults/2 children): 1 room with 2 twin beds, 1 sofa bed and 1 rollaway or 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds
  • In Athens (3 adults/1 child or 4 adults): 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds
  • In Santorini (2 adults/2 children): 1 family room with double bed upstairs and 2 sofa beds downstairs
  • In Santorini (3 adults/1 child, or 4 adults): 2 adjoining double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds
  • In Crete: 2 connecting double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds
Parties of 4 booked as 2 doubles (2 reservations):
  • In Athens: 2 rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
  • In Athens (3 adults/1 child or 4 adults): 2 adjoining rooms, each with 1 queen or 2 twin beds.
  • In Santorini: 2 adjoining double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
  • In Crete: 2 double rooms, each with 1 queen bed or 2 twin beds.
Sayhello
Thank you for all of this information! We would most likely have two separate rooms with one adult and two children in each. Preferably, they would be adjoining but nearby would work as well.

You won't be sorry!!

Sayhello
Have you done Norway? If so, did you enjoy it? I’m curious to know which others you have done and how you would rate the rest of them. So many good decisions. I can’t decide!

Have you done Norway? If so, did you enjoy it? I’m curious to know which others you have done and how you would rate the rest of them. So many good decisions. I can’t decide!
No, I have not done Norway yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about that trip.

Here's what I've done, in a vague order (3, 4 & 5 are EXTREMELY close, and after #5, they're all kind of tied, with different things that make them each special)

#1 Japan, #2 Greece, #3 Scotland (but it was the old itinerary, which was amazing. The current itinerary is VERY different), #4 Arizona/Utah, #5 China, #6-11 London/Paris, Danube River Cruise, Prague Short Escape, Iceland, DCL Med cruise add-on, Alaska.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Ah, that's what I get for posting before my full cup of morning coffee! :)
They merged the threads instead of deleting the duplicate. At least it's all together now! :) And I'm with you about the coffee! :D

Sayhello

No, I have not done Norway yet, but I've heard a lot of great things about that trip.

Here's what I've done, in a vague order (3, 4 & 5 are EXTREMELY close, and after #5, they're all kind of tied, with different things that make them each special)

#1 Japan, #2 Greece, #3 Scotland (but it was the old itinerary, which was amazing. The current itinerary is VERY different), #4 Arizona/Utah, #5 China, #6-11 London/Paris, Danube River Cruise, Prague Short Escape, Iceland, DCL Med cruise add-on, Alaska.

Sayhello
Now you have me really leaning towards Greece! I was leaning towards the Danube River Cruise at one point. I am also interested in the cruise to Greece/Italy if they decide to do it in 2022.

You won't be sorry!!

Sayhello
We've already decided on the Italy ABD next (or more like I have, since it'll be a milestone bday present for me). We were thinking China, Egypt (if they actually do it), S Africa, in subsequent years, but maybe we'll move Greece up the list. The only problem is DH's family is *very* Greek (his grandparents emigrated from there, dad lived there), but DH and I can't stand most Greek food. (His gpa was a caterer in Greece and then again when he moved to the US.) The trip does sound amazing though.

I would highly recommend doing Greece as a land tour (ABD or otherwise) as opposed to doing a Greece cruise that only stops in major ports. We did the Central Europe ABD the first year it started (I believe it now also includes Poland) when my DS was 6 and it was incredibly kid-friendly. We also did a DCL starting in Denmark that took us to Norway/Iceland/Scotland when DS was 7 and that was extraordinary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter