Vacation Village at Parkway

CLEO Z

Mouseketeer
My wonderful parents are RCI timeshare members and used their points to book a stay for the entire family of 14. Our stay was from 6-12 to 6-21-09. They booked 2 full units. Each unit has an "A" side and a "B" side. The units were across the hall from each other. My parents stayed in the A side with 2 of my nieces and DH, DS, DD and I stayed in the B side. Across the hall, one brother, wife and two kids were in A and other brother and my niece stayed in B.

The A side is bigger than the B and includes a king size bed, full stove, whirlpool tub. The B side has a queen bed, smaller kitchen w/no stove, and a standard tub/shower. Both units have microwaves, a pull out couch, balconies (A's bigger), 2 TVs, and dining table. The B side had a hot plate w/2 burners and a electric fry pan to make up for the lack of stove. You can do a search to find photos from other threads -I found them to be still accurate. There is also a floor plan on the website for Vacation Village. We were lucky enough to be in a building where each of the A & B units had a small washer/dryer unit in them. I understand that this is not the case for all of the building groups.

We were in building 12 which is in the Magnolia grp with bldgs 10 & 11. The buildings in this group and most others we saw are set out in a triange of the 3 bldgs, with the pool in the middle. Parking was good except late at night when a decent spot was hard to find. One night DH had to park at a different set of bldgs. The pool was well maintained. They have pool towels you can sign out and return with each trip, but I highly recommend bringing your own if you are driving. Sometimes the attendant isn't right there and the towels are small and thin. The bath towels in the room for showering are similar, so bring some large bath sheets from home if 4 scrawny towels won't do you for the week.

They have natural gas grills you can use along each cluster of bldgs. Grill tools can be checked out from the pool attendant. We did this one night when my mom cooked pork tenderloins -yummmmmy! Did I mention I love my mom??? When we arrived we went to Sam's Club, which is only around 5 miles or so to the east on Irlo Bronson. Its on the north side of the road. This was a huge money saver for breakfast foods, water and snacks. We supplemented with a trip to Publix for some stuff we didn't need in bulk.

The location of this property is EXCELLENT! Easy and quick to get to all Disney properties and SeaWorld. Our travel times to the TTC, DHS, Epcot and AK parking lots were all about 10 minutes or less. My brother took his older kids to the Universal properties and it was a bit more of a drive. There are two close by publix stores, Sam's, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. There are tons of standard restaurant chains too.

I would stay here again and highly recommend it. This was our first off property stay and we were kind of nervous about it. For large families or families with older kids, Vacation Village really works well. For short stays or families with younger kids, I'd still recommend staying on Disney property. While Disney does a good job of managing parking lots, its still a bit of a pain compared to jumping on the monorail with a cranky little one in the middle of the day.

If you plan to stay here I suggest bringing the bath and pool towels as mentioned earlier AND a nice non-stick pan. The pans provided aren't non-stick and believe me, stuff will stick!!! I also suggest picking which side of the building you prefer: pool side or non-pool side. The pool is open until 11 pm and is LOUD ALL DAY LONG! If you have little ones in need of afternoon naps or are someone that goes to bed early to hit the parks in the A.M., I really suggest getting a non-poolside room. I cannot empasize enough how loud the pool crowd is and it goes on until 11 when everyone is booted.

I've included everything I could think of. Any questions??

Great job! i had been quite nervous abt our upcoming trip , and now IM NOT!:thumbsup2
Thx for the towel tip too!
We will be flying into Tampa to visit family there and they will drive us to this condo with a grocery stop beforehand,..Im wondering if we should rent a car as well. We hadnt planned on it. Are there car rental places locally did u notice?
Thx again for your informative review, really helpful to us!:surfweb::surfweb::worship::flower3:

I'm glad you were helped by my review. :goodvibes You will absolutely need a car to get from the resort to Disney if your relatives won't be there with their car.

There are a lot of rental car places on Irlo Bronson.
  • The closest appears to be a Dollar Rental at the Rodeway Inn, 5995 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy .
  • There is an Enterprise at 5245 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy that is down the road a few miles on the north side of the street. Its after Polynesian Isles Blvd just past a Ruby Tuesdays.
  • There is a Budget Rental car close too, but you'd need to call them for directions.
We are going back again in October!! :banana: I'm so excited and its nice to go back to the same resort now that we know where everything is.

Does the resort still offer shuttle service to the parks? I will be staying there in June. The last time we went in 2005 they did do shuttle transport for the guests.

Does the resort still offer shuttle service to the parks? I will be staying there in June. The last time we went in 2005 they did do shuttle transport for the guests.

I wasn't aware of any shuttles when we were their last June. I'd suggest calling them directly, but I'm pretty sure they don't have them anymore.

I am going to jump in here as well! Thanks so much for review Cleo Z...and coming back to chat after so many months! :thumbsup2

My in-laws have reserved 4 2-bedroom units for our family trip next June. We will be staying at Vacation Village at Parkway from June 11, 2011 to June 18, 2011. Our group will consist of my in-laws (60 somethings), hubby's sister plus her hubby and daughter (14), us (DH, I, DS18, DD13) and hubby's younger sister plus her hubby and their 4 year old twins. We are so excited!!!

I have called and spoken with the front desk specifically about the shuttle. I was told that they do have a shuttle, but it costs $10 per person per day for a round trip ticket! Ouch! :headache:

We are going to rent a car for our family of four and are encouraging each family to do the same. There has been some talk about sharing a couple of mini-vans, but that would be a bit too much togetherness for us!

I would love to hear from others who have stayed there. We will definitely ask for ground floor rooms, away from the pool and hope we can all stay close together.

I am still questioning how to do meals. Our past two trips have been on-site with the dining plan and I LOVED it...so much less work for "mom"! I cannot see us getting all 13 of us together for dinner every night.

I am very excited about having a washer and dryer, especially since it is summer and I would like to come back during the heat of the day for a "rest". :laundy:We will see if this happens! lol What do we need to request to make sure we get a unit with one?

I am very excited about having a washer and dryer, especially since it is summer and I would like to come back during the heat of the day for a "rest". :laundy:We will see if this happens! lol What do we need to request to make sure we get a unit with one?

I can't remember where I read it (probably an older post here!), but if your in-laws are RCI members then you are likely to get a washer/dryer. Call Vacation Village and ask how far ahead of time you should call to request that all four suites are near each other and to request the washer/dryer combo. I believe my dad called a week or two ahead. We ended up having to wait for them to get two suites together (about 30 mins & worth the wait) even though Dad made the request. Then call again a day before and remind them. It really is hard for them to accomodate this during high capacity, but they appear to do their best. It may be that you'll end up 2 and 2 in the same building or group. If it comes down the choice of being together or the washer/dryer-pick the washer/dryer!! We have to have our priorities straight! :rotfl:

lol...I could not agree more! It is just now getting in to the upper 80's to lower 90's here in North Texas and it is blazing hot! I know I am just going to melt next June! :rotfl:

I am considering wearing cotton sundresses with "bike" shorts underneath. I will have to give a couple a try this summer and see what I think.

I am going to jump in here as well! Thanks so much for review Cleo Z...and coming back to chat after so many months! :thumbsup2

My in-laws have reserved 4 2-bedroom units for our family trip next June. We will be staying at Vacation Village at Parkway from June 11, 2011 to June 18, 2011. Our group will consist of my in-laws (60 somethings), hubby's sister plus her hubby and daughter (14), us (DH, I, DS18, DD13) and hubby's younger sister plus her hubby and their 4 year old twins. We are so excited!!!

I have called and spoken with the front desk specifically about the shuttle. I was told that they do have a shuttle, but it costs $10 per person per day for a round trip ticket! Ouch! :headache:

We are going to rent a car for our family of four and are encouraging each family to do the same. There has been some talk about sharing a couple of mini-vans, but that would be a bit too much togetherness for us!

I would love to hear from others who have stayed there. We will definitely ask for ground floor rooms, away from the pool and hope we can all stay close together.

I am still questioning how to do meals. Our past two trips have been on-site with the dining plan and I LOVED it...so much less work for "mom"! I cannot see us getting all 13 of us together for dinner every night.

You should definitely get a washer and dryer! It is the one bedroom B units (partial kitchen) that don't have them, one bedroom A units (full kitchen) always have them and a two bedroom is A + B units (i.e one bedroom is A, one B and you have a hallway connecting both).

I've stayed here twice and really enjoyed it. We just got back on 14th May this year and this time was better because we were in Building 15. This building was quieter (no pool = no loud music until 11pm at night and no activities) and there were several pools within a short walking distance, also the rooms were less tired than some of the older buildings. We had a brilliant time this year and would like to stay there again!

I was very nervous about staying at the Parkway with just my 7 yr old daughter but we had an amazing time! Thanks to everyone on here for your help and info!:goodvibes
We were placed into building 9 on the 5th floor, the building had a lovely pool and we ate breakfast on our huge private balcony overlooking the pool every moring, I loved having the full kitchen and washer and dryer! The condo was huge and very very very clean! Immaculate!:lovestruc
I would stay here again anytime! We did rent a car which we DID need and love, I highly reccommend having a car. We rented from DOLLAR and got a great rate (with lots of help and advice from the Dis board of course), I never checked into the shuttle schedual as we had the car. Our condo had a king sized bed and lovely sheets.:cloud9:
Dont hesitate renting/stying here, check in was fast easy and friendly, as was checkout! Nice pools,parking was crowded but not impossible,and we were ten min from every park.:cheer2:

Thanks for the review MousekaMaddi!

How was traffic? Not too bad it sounds like! I was especially concerned about travel to/from the Magic Kingdom. 10 minutes sounds great...

How much was your rental from Dollar? I have a full size on reserve with Enterprise for right at $300 for the week, but I am definately looking around for a deal.

Was the pool view too noisy? I always try to avoid having a room close to the pool, but it sounds like you did not have a problem.

building 9 was adjacent to what was called a quieter pool, not the main pool, and it was not loud at all, we were at the parks till at least 11 every nite but slept in till 9 most days and had no prob.
rental car cost me $220, I rented from dollar and had DIS help! I couldnt have done that alone:rotfl:
Didnt hit much traffic anywhere.When I rented a car I ased for smallest cheapest and we got a pt cruiser, which we LOVED!

the shuttle was not to the parks but to the grocery store and drug store.

do they still have that one?

We stayed there for Spring Break last year and had an "A" unit. Everything was OK, except there were some noise issues for us. Our building faced the "Aladdin" night club and music was thumping from there until way past 11 PM. I would stay there again if I was promised a quieter room, but we have stayed elsewhere since then.

We're going to be there at almost the same time. 6/10/11-6/17/11. Just called today about the shuttle and the resort has one that goes around the property and to the grocery store. There is an off site shuttle that goes to the parks for $10/person round trip as stated before. We have reserved our mid sized car for $159 per week through Hotwire. If you happen to have annual passes the parking is free at Disney World.

We will be staying here the 1st week of October. I am kind of nervous about staying off site, but this week was given to us by a friend and was TOOOO GOOOOD to pass up. I would love the hear from HannaBelle or Strawberry's mom & Dad about their experience. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!:cool1:

Just back from our stay at Vacation Village at Parkway… The resort its self was great. Plenty of parking, plenty of pools, 10 to 15 minute drive to the parks, the staff was friendly and helpful, free “consumables” like paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap and what not, and they provided as many clean towel sets as requested! The Jacuzzi tubs were nice and big and great after a day in the parks. I love having a kitchen and a washer/dryer set!

We traveled with extended family and had four 2 bedroom units in buildings 5 & 6. Each family had an A side and a B side. It worked out great for the teenagers b/c they each had their own B side! The units showed a bit of wear and were what I expect from RCI timeshare. They were reasonably clean, just small things like burns on the laminate counters, the tub faucet was not long enough for the tub and sprayed water on the floor, the hair dryer malfunctioned and caught on fire (okay, that was a little bit fun and) and the burners on my stove did not work. I would have no problem staying here again. I would have preferred to have one of the renovated units and I would have absolutely preferred to stay on-site, but overall it was a success!

I was able to use priceline and rent a fullsize car for $12 a day and then they upgraded it to a mini-van for free! That was a huge dusting of pixie dust!!! Parking was easy at most parks, but costly.

We left each morning at 8 am for 9am rope drop. Not early enough for MK and way to early for AK. I found that most of the mornings the ropes were dropped early. I was surprised by that! We got to go in to AK about 10 minutes to 9. We were on the safari at 9am…it was great!

We did go back to the room most days, it was just too hot last week. I was BAD imho. We tried to leave by 1 and would go back after dinner. It back fired a couple of time b/c there were several storms that shut down the coasters we had saved for last! It there is a must do, get it done ASAP.

I prepared a breakfast plan with a detailed shopping list and ended up over buying anyway b/c the kids wanted this and that. Then we had to through some stuff away. DH was not happy about that! We did take our cold waters and give them to the rental car check-in people at MCO, they were pretty happy about that.

When you leave the airport, scout out a gas station to buy gas at. We went on a wild goose chase to find a station (among other problems of our own making), got to the airport about 60 minutes before our flight and ended up missing it! Allow a minimum of 2 hours to get through the lines at MCO. It was CRAZY!

On our second attempt, DS18 was selected for extra screening and they pulled him over to swab his bag. A little guy in front of us was pulled out for the extra special pat down and he was almost in tears. It was just heart breaking.

Remember where you parked, start heading to your car before you are worn out and if your kids need a break (no matter what age), take it! DD13 broke down in tears b/c she was tired and DH had to find some mystical magical cup. :sad2: Not pretty...

We went resort hopping the next day via the monorail for DH to get his shopping fix in while in the AC!

If you have an specific questions, please ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter