Veggie burgers

amid chaos

DIS Veteran
One of our NE resolutions was to eat better. DH had a veggie burger that was excellent when we went out to lunch last week.....Does anyone have any tired and true recipes to share? I have done a search and got a few interesting ones.

The one he enjoyed so much had spinach, carrots, mushroom, onion, garlic, salt and jasmine rice. This one should be easy and I bought all the ingredients.

I found on the web one that you put all the dry ingredients in a blender and then use as needed.

If I can find DRY sun dried tomatoes (the only ones I can recall seeing are packed in olive oil!), I will be trying out a recipe called Middle Easter Burgers that is in the Jan 2002 issue of Vegetarian Times. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
8 sun-dried tomato halves (dry packaged)
3 Tbs. olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. finely chopped jalapeno
1/3 cup whole wheat flour

(I bought canned chickpeas to avoid this first part!)

In large pot, combine chickpeas with 8 cups water. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered in water overnight.

Place sun dried tomatoes in shallow bowl, pour in enough boiling water to cover. Let stand until softened, 20 minutes. Drain, chop coarsely and set aside.

Drain soaked chickpeas and transfer to food processor. Add 2 Tbs. oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp.. black pepper and process until finely chopped. Add reserved tomatoes, parsley, mint and soy sauce and process briefly to combine. Scrape mixture into bowl.

In large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt, garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to chickpeas. Stir in flour until well blended. Form mixture into 8 round patties.

Preheat electric grill to 350 degrees or heat a grill pan over medium heat. Cook burgers, turning once, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.

Per serving 358 calories, 14 grams protein, 7 grams total fat (1 gram sat fat) 60 carb, 0 chol, 980 mg sodium, 7 grams fiber.

I should be making these by Thursday night. I will let you know how they came out (I'm hoping the mint won't be overpowering!)

Check out http://www.vegetariantimes.com for more recipes. :)

The dry sun dried tomatoes are usually on the produce aisle. The oil packed ones are on the aisle with pasta and spaghettie sauce.

Thanks, Kermit!

I checked out the tomato section of the produce department and found a bag of dry sundried tomatoes. Whew!

I will be making the "burgers" tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how they were!

Ok, I just made the recipe that I posted above.

In the magazine, it says it makes 4 servings - but the recipe tells you to make 8 patties. I could only get 5 out of it. I used the canned chickpeas and measured out two cups (since the recipe called for 1 1/2 of the dry ones, I figured they would equal two cups after they had cooked, maybe I was off?)

They are tasty! The mint doesn't overpower them at all. It's a nice blend of flavors.

They aren't the most stable things in the world. I cooked them in a large pan for five minutes a side over medium heat. They were still pretty mushy when I went to flip them. They are nice and brown on the outside, but definitely very mushy on the inside. Think of taking hummus and making patties out of it and cooking it.

The picture in the magazine shows a nice, plump looking burger on a regular sized bun. I don't know how they got 8 out of the recipe, unless I was supposed to make them *very* flat.

I recommend chopping the sun dried tomatoes up before soaking them. While I was able to chop them after they had been soaking in water for 20 minutes, I am sure it would have been easier to get them chopped up fine while they were dry.

I hope someone else will post another recipe!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter