Vermont couple claims daughter was assaulted on Fantasy in 2020

Easy win for Disney on this as they have cameras all over the kids clubs. The family would have to have a witness to get a cent from Disney.

I’m in VT and it hasn’t hit the news up here. Isn’t Winkleman the attorney in the RCCL case?

Here is an article about what is caught on tape. A 10 year old girl dressed as Princess Leia pinned the 3 year old down and reached between her legs.

Reading this, I would be very surprised if the 10 year old doesn't come from an abusive family herself.

It happened on the 4th of January 2020 cruise on the Fantasy, with the alleged assault on the 9th, which was Star Wars day at Sea.
At the time it happened, it was open house in the Club.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article254493847.html

Last edited:
At the time it happened, it was open house in the Club.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article254493847.html

Where did you see it occurred during an open house time? If it did, then why weren't the 3yo's parents with her? I find it hard to believe this occurred during an open house time.

As for reviewing the tape, since the Brevard County Sheriff's office already investigated, I'd assume they reviewed the tape. If it was so blatant, why didn't the Sheriff's Office pursue the case?

Where did you see it occurred during an open house time? If it did, then why weren't the 3yo's parents with her? I find it hard to believe this occurred during an open house time.

As for reviewing the tape, since the Brevard County Sheriff's office already investigated, I'd assume they reviewed the tape. If it was so blatant, why didn't the Sheriff's Office pursue the case?
The Miami Herald article I posted had the date it had happened and the time. I went to the Disneycruiselineblog to look for the past navigators. The navigator of this particular cruise can be found here and the particular date here.

I am not that familiar with open house hours. When it is open house, then basically the CMs are there to show people around, explain things, etc. but not to supervise the children? No child gets signed in like normal? When it's open house, it cannot happen that the parents drop off the child and then go for dinner at Palo, or some other adult activity? The CMs at the entrance would then say 'it's open house, please stay with your child'. It cannot happen that the parents then answer with 'sorry, we are off to Palo, she's your problem now'.

My issue is that in the article it says that the toddler was pinned down by the other girl for 20 minutes, and 3 minutes of that was sexual abuse. It could be the 10 year old was allowed by her parents to roam around the ship on her own. But a 3 year old in a basically unsupervised area for 20 minutes? I understand that children escape their parents attention and how that happens, but as soon as you notice she's gone then you rally up all the CMs you can find?

Another problem I have, with all the amounts people sue companies for in the US, $20 million is quite low.. Especially if you are suing a company with pockets as deep as Disney's. Makes me think they hope Disney will rather settle than go to court.

Other challenge: in the article it says that they do not know who the 10 year old girl is. When the girl is not signed in the Club, how to figure out who she is. Are there cameras in every stateroom hallway to see which room she stays in?

If the 10 yo childs face is visible at all they could figure out who it is. Every passenger on the ship has their picture in DCL file for that cruise.
The Miami Herald article I posted had the date it had happened and the time. I went to the Disneycruiselineblog to look for the past navigators. The navigator of this particular cruise can be found here and the particular date here.

I am not that familiar with open house hours. When it is open house, then basically the CMs are there to show people around, explain things, etc. but not to supervise the children? No child gets signed in like normal? When it's open house, it cannot happen that the parents drop off the child and then go for dinner at Palo, or some other adult activity? The CMs at the entrance would then say 'it's open house, please stay with your child'. It cannot happen that the parents then answer with 'sorry, we are off to Palo, she's your problem now'.

My issue is that in the article it says that the toddler was pinned down by the other girl for 20 minutes, and 3 minutes of that was sexual abuse. It could be the 10 year old was allowed by her parents to roam around the ship on her own. But a 3 year old in a basically unsupervised area for 20 minutes? I understand that children escape their parents attention and how that happens, but as soon as you notice she's gone then you rally up all the CMs you can find?

Another problem I have, with all the amounts people sue companies for in the US, $20 million is quite low.. Especially if you are suing a company with pockets as deep as Disney's. Makes me think they hope Disney will rather settle than go to court.

Other challenge: in the article it says that they do not know who the 10 year old girl is. When the girl is not signed in the Club, how to figure out who she is. Are there cameras in every stateroom hallway to see which room she stays in?
If the 10 yo is a passenger then their photo is on file for that cruise. It shouldn’t be that difficult to find out who it was.

The article says this happened about 45 minutes after they dropped the child off at the oceaneer club, but occurred in the media center of the lab. The club was in open house mode at the time of the incident, but the lab was just for kids at that time.

When the club goes to open house hours, don’t they just move the kids that are there to the lab side?

My understanding is that the 3 year old was there without her parents and was being supervised by the staff.

This is horrible. Something prompted these parents to contact law enforcement and seek access to surveillance footage.

DCL used to separate kids by age in the lab & club - maybe this lawsuit will lead them back to that or maybe it will increase staffing in the kids club. I know many parents expressed concern when they started combining age groups in the clubs.

The article indicates it was in the lab where crew members were supervising (not open house, no parents present), that it's plain to see on the video and that the assault went on for 20 minutes and no crew member intervened. If that's true, it's horrific. That poor child.

I'm still surprised that if it's that blatant you would think the attorney would release it to the media with filters blocking the faces of course. If you recall they did that with the crew member who molested a child in one of the elevators.

Fine line on that really. Probably showing the older girl blurry standing near her should be enough for public. Looking back, they eventually stopped showing the footage of individuals who had stopped breathing since it was in poor taste to show that moment for the family.

It sounds as though there was another allegation by this family that the FBI and Brevard County Sheriff investigated and declared it unfounded. Apparently this is now a 2nd allegation (a different alleged perpetrator) but the article isn't clear on the status of any official investigation.

I am not that familiar with open house hours.
There are 2 spaces for ages 3-12, the Club and the Lab. When one side is "open house" typically the other is secured programming. Any child checked-in prior to the open house is sent to secured programming once the open house begins. During open house, parents are not allowed to drop-off for secured programming at the open house location, they must remain with the child - or in the case of an older child, they will be unsupervised (or not as closely supervised as secured programming).

DCL used to separate kids by age in the lab & club
The Club and Lab haven't been officially separated by age for over a decade. They were both for ages 3-12 when we took our first cruise in 2011.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter