Vero and Hurricanes

ducklite

<font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>
We're planning on staying down at VBR for a week this fall.

If there is a hurricane coming, do they evacuate VBR? (Trust me, I know how they can take twists and turns and end up being nothing--but I'm also thinking back on Hurricane Jeanne...)

If they evacuate, what happens to your points?

TIA!

Anne

We're planning on staying down at VBR for a week this fall.

If there is a hurricane coming, do they evacuate VBR? (Trust me, I know how they can take twists and turns and end up being nothing--but I'm also thinking back on Hurricane Jeanne...)

If they evacuate, what happens to your points?

TIA!

Anne

We were there last August when Ernesto was headed dead on for VB. As it turned out it never became a hurricane and really fizzled out. Nonetheless, the night before it was due to arrive many or most people had left the resort and Disney was moving people from the cottages and villas to the main building. Many people moved, we chose to stay in our villa 1-bedroom since all the structures are concrete. I don't think they would force anyone to leave the resort unless there was a state mandated evacuation. The next day the CMs had a ton of activities going on in the Inn to keep the children distracted and happy. They were great. Honestly, about the points, I can't say what would happen if we had to completely evacuate. If you are really concerned about that aspect of it then I would suggest getting trip insurance.

Have a great trip... :thumbsup2:

Weren't they closed for some time after one of the hurricanes in 2005?

IIR, it was after Jeanne in 2004. That's the one that wiped away the beach and did a lot of damage to the resort.

I guess my question is, what happened to those who were booked there either during the storm or in the weeks after when they were unable to open?

I'm not worried about plane tickets, etc, as it's only a two hour drive for us, but I would want my points refunded. If they evacuate or can't open it's not my fualt, and I don't feel I should have to buy insurance when DVC is the one who can't perform. I know it's a Force Majuere, but that's what business interruption insurance is for.

Was anyone there or scheduled to be there after Jeanne, and what happened to your points?

Anne

They would have to refund your points if they were closed. The question is would they refund points if you did not go because a hurricane was threatened.

Weren't they closed for some time after one of the hurricanes in 2005?

Hurricanes Francis & Jeanne hit in September 2004. We went there in March 2005 and the resort looked in pretty good shape, but almost all other structures around still had tarps on them. I believe they were closed into 2005.

I think you are right that if the resort is closed then they would have to give you a refund. What I don't know is what happens if say you were using your points in a use or lose situation... I am sure Disney would be compasionate, but I don't know how that would work out.

They would have to refund your points if they were closed. The question is would they refund points if you did not go because a hurricane was threatened.

Well, they usually know within 12 hours where it's headed, and like I said, we're only two hours by car. So I'm not really that concerned with not going if there's a threat, but if there's one headed right at them, i would imagine they close.

Anne

Hurricanes Francis & Jeanne hit in September 2004. We went there in March 2005 and the resort looked in pretty good shape, but almost all other structures around still had tarps on them. I believe they were closed into 2005.

I think you are right that if the resort is closed then they would have to give you a refund. What I don't know is what happens if say you were using your points in a use or lose situation... I am sure Disney would be compasionate, but I don't know how that would work out.

Our use year is September, we'll be using points banked from the 2006 use year and points from the 2007 use year, so I would imagine we'd get them back less any days used and then have the normal time frame to use them--which shouldn't be a problem if it happened in September or October 2007.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter