Vero Beach reviews/advice

iluveeyore

DIS Veteran
I am so excited - just booked a week in August with my best friend, just the two of us, no husbands, no kids. We reserved an oceanfront Inn room, and the sea turtles are nesting the week we are there. If anyone can point me to any helpful threads on VB, I would appreciate it, or let me know of your experiences with this resort. We are driving a rental car from MCO, and hope to pick up a few groceries for our kitchenette on the way. Any dining suggestions would be appreciated as well. We plan to do a lot of reading by the pool or on the beach, :beach: and then just take it slow and enjoy our surroundings/explore a bit. A day trip in the car might be in order as well, since we have never been in this part of Florida before (I am a Disney World freak who has never expanded her vacationing borders, lol). Thanks all!:goodvibes

I am so excited - just booked a week in August with my best friend, just the two of us, no husbands, no kids. We reserved an oceanfront Inn room, and the sea turtles are nesting the week we are there. If anyone can point me to any helpful threads on VB, I would appreciate it, or let me know of your experiences with this resort. We are driving a rental car from MCO, and hope to pick up a few groceries for our kitchenette on the way. Any dining suggestions would be appreciated as well. We plan to do a lot of reading by the pool or on the beach, :beach: and then just take it slow and enjoy our surroundings/explore a bit. A day trip in the car might be in order as well, since we have never been in this part of Florida before (I am a Disney World freak who has never expanded her vacationing borders, lol). Thanks all!:goodvibes
In case you haven't found it yourself yet, there is an entire thread devoted to the Adoration of Disney's Vero Beach Resort which is filled with terrific information that should answer most of your questions. There is also a 2013 thread, but most of the basic information was transferred to the first post in the 2014 thread.

For groceries, most people stop at one of the two Publix Supermarkets on the way to the resort. There is also a Winn Dixie Supermarket on 512 if you don't turn off onto 510 before getting there. The Publix weekly sale circular comes out on Thursday and the sale runs Thursday-Wednesday, while Winn-Dixie's circular is published on Wednesday and the sale runs Wednesday-Tuesday. A key benefit for Publix over Winn Dixie is that Publix does not require that you join any kind of rewards program in order to take advantage of their weekly sales. If you visit their company websites, you can check out the current circular online. Note that beer and wine can be purchased in Florida supermarkets, however, if you plan to purchase liquor, you'll need to stop in a separate liquor store.

For restaurants, you'll find that everyone has their own favorites. I'm partial to Vittorio's Pizzaria (near the Publix closest to the resort on US1) for great pizza or casual Italian. Nothing fancy, just a really good pizzaria and they have some good specials during the week. As of September, they said they did deliver to the resort if you wanted to order in. I also like Squid Lips, another casual restaurant. Nothing fancy but the food has always been good, the service friendly and lovely views of the Indian River Lagoon (plus you often can spot dolphins swimming in the lagoon). Make sure you check out their cute artwork on some of the light fixtures above the tables. Captain Hiram's is also popular with people, though I typically only go there to see bands playing outside at their Sand Bar. Many people enjoy Ocean Grill in Vero Beach for something a bit more upscale. When you get to the resort, be sure to ask the lobby concierge for the restaurant list. Most places listed have websites or reviews on Yelp or tripadvisor.

As far as local attractions, I do recommend visiting one of the two shipwreck/treasure museums in the area. Mel Fisher's is more treasure with gold and gems galore while McClarty takes a more historical perspective with fewer items on exhibit. Both charge a nominal fee but sometimes you can get a coupon for Mel Fisher's online or in a local tourist guidebook/magazine. Also consider taking wildlife tour of the Indian River Lagoon - if nothing else, it will be a lovely couple of hours out on the water, but you could spot some manatees, dolphins or other beautiful creatures.

I completely agree with the Squid Lips recommendation. Good food, inexpensive drinks, comfortable atmostphere, and friendly staff. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter