Very good 35mm Camera w/flash & zoom for less than $100?

horseshowmom

DIS Veteran
I've got to buy a new camera and would like some help. I want a point & shoot 35mm camera with flash and zoom, but I want to spend less than $100. My husband has a nice Pentax, but you have to focus this and adjust that, and I don't want to go to that much trouble. The best camera I ever owned was a Kodak Ektralite 120 with zoom (or something like that). It made terrific pictures and was very inexpensive. When my teenager was a toddler, she knocked it off the table and broke it. I haven't been satisfied with a camera since. I've used the York disposable cameras lately, but I really don't like them too much. I need a good camera that takes great pictures. I particularly want the zoom feature to be good. My daughter shows horses, and we work with our 4-H Horse Club a lot, so I want pictures of what's going on, but the camera has to be up to being handled a lot and used on the run.

Have some of you had some good experiences? Please help if you have!

P.S. I know this is strictly Orlando related, but I'd use the camera in Florida too! LOL :D

I am also in the market for a new camera. When we were at the beach last Feb. I dropped my camera in the cooler filled with water. :( It was weatherproof, but not waterproof!!

I am looking to spend around 150, but my daughter has a Pentax with an 80 zoom which we got for her last year and it is around $100. It is a nice camera, takes nice pictures and is fairly easy to use.

The camera I ruined was also a Pentax and it took great pictures.

There are too many camera choices out there!!

BigDave

I have a point and shoot Olympus that I love! It has been a few years since I purchased it, but it was under $100. I recently saw an ad in the newspaper for Service Merchandise. They were advertising a close-out for cameras which included just about every brand. The prices were between $49 - $100. You might also try Target.

Good Luck!

I got an Olympus Epic Zoom 80 last spring and I just love it! I cost less than $150.00. It is fairly compact with built in flash, red eye reduction, is weatherproof (not waterproof), built in zoom (pretty far). I think it takes really good pictures and it is simple to operate!

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

BigDave, I agree completely about too many camera choices! I usually research stuff pretty thoroughly before I make a purchase, but I just don't have the time right now to check through that many cameras (there are lots and lots under $100). Is your daughter's camera an IQZoom? I had kind of looked at one of them. Wal-Mart has a pretty good price for that one.

Kaa, thanks for the tip about Service Mdse. I'll check them and Target the first chance I get.

The dad of one of our 4-H kids took pictures for me at our Horse Show last week. His pictures were really good. His wife said it was a Nikon (about $30), but it doesn't have a zoom.

I'm hoping to take all of our 4-H'ers to Orlando next year. Our daughter has been many times, but most of them have never been. I'll definitely need a good camera for that!

Thanks!

I have a Minolta Freedom Dual camera I got when I graduated from High School (1987) that I still use and it still takes the BEST pictures. Since then my brother has also purchased a Minolta Freedom(?) last year for under a hundred and he LOVES it too.

Sandy

It is an IQ zoom has red eye reduction and date imprinting. Although we bought it last year as a graduation gift, it is still available. I don't think you can go wrong. It is currently @ $99 at service merchandise.

We also research everything quite throroughly and I am overwhelmed!!

I had a 90 zoom and I think I want more of a zoom, but I don't want to spend too much money. Luckily I can borrow my daughter's camera if I need one.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

BigDave

Does the 80 zoom do pretty well? For example, if the subject was in the middle (or on the other side) of an arena, would it zoom to a pretty good close-up instead of having just the small subject in the center with a lot of arena around the edges? Does that question make sense?

The 80 zoom is adequate, but it wouldn't take a close up if that is what you mean.

For example, we were in an auditorium for an award ceremony. We were sitting 2/3 of the way down (close to the stage). I took a picture of my daughter, but it really isn't that close. It would be ok if you were taking a picture in the middle of the arena, but not across the way.

Don't get me wrong, 80 is better than no zoom, but that is why I think I might want a slightly larger zoom. My sister had a 140 zoom and she could take pictures that made it look like she was standing next to the person.

Hope this helps. Of course the higher the zoom, the higher the cost!!

BigDave

Got my point and shoot NIKON One Touch for $99 over the internet (no taxes). It worked out very well for our trip to WDW recently. It is a 90 mm zoom.

Thanks, Dave! If it will work for the middle of the arena, it should be sufficient. The 140 sounds great, but I cringe at the thought of the cost!

pdzabe, I'll check on your camera too!

I've thought about ebay (I've had very good luck so far), but I don't think I'm willing to try it with a camera (on the other hand, the new saddle worked out pretty good! LOL).

Thanks again to everyone for your help. The editor of our local newspaper often uses our pictures after the kids participate in events. I'd like for them to be good.

Okay, BigDave, I've looked around some in the stores (Sears was the only one that actually had batteries in the cameras, so I could actually look through the zoom).

I think I'm sold on the 140 or above (yes, I remember what I said about under $100, but I'm ready to be done with this and get what I really want! LOL). I looked at the Pentax IQZoom 160 and the Olympus Epic Stylus (?) 140 Zoom, and the Olympus seemed much clearer (of course, these were floor models and the Pentax may have been dirty). I've about decided to go with one of the ebay sellers who offer a guarantee, since their prices are substantially better than retail. Was your sister's camera a Pentax?

zachsmomie, I tried to find a Minolta Freedom today, but didn't find one anywhere I tried. I'm still interested in it too (140 or higher).

Right now, these seem to be my 3 most likely candidates. The Nikon One Touch looks really good, but I want a higher zoom and haven't found one in the range I want. Anybody have any experience with the Canon Sure Shot?

If you guys have any further information to help me decide, believe me, it's really appreciated!

We got a Kodak APS camera, (the kind that can take panoramic shots), with a zoom lens, date stamp, and red-eye reduction at Wal-Mart for about $90 last Christmas time. We love it.

The Olympus cameras are very durable & small for 35 mm. I've had 2 and I would highly recommend them! That's 2 over 11 years, and I just got the second one last year :)

APS cameras are smaller, but the picture quality is not as good.

Haven't been to the boards in a few days. Yes her camera was a Pentax and it took great shots. I am leaning towards a pentax again, but price is also a concern.

If I can get a 115 for $150 I might go for that. Saw a Fuji 120 mm for 129 with rebate and they were highly rated by consumer reports. This was thru ritz camera. They also had a Pentax with 130 zoom for $199-- you can find that on their website or go to a store.

Service merchandise has the 160 zoom for $229 right now which is a also good deal.

If my kids were younger and we still had lots of school functions and sporting events I would splurge for the Pentax 160. I have found we don't take as many pictures now so I want to stay in the $150 price range.

We had an inexpensive Nikon for my daughter and it didn't last long.

I like the fact that the Olympus ones are weatherproof and lightweight. The camera I ruined was quite heavy.

I would also steer clear of cameras which require 2 lithium batteries. My old one required 2 and at $7 a battery it was expensive to replace them.

Let us know what you get!

BigDave

My sister has an old Canon Sure Shot (over 20 years old) fully automatic 35mm camera and it still takes great pictures for her.

Personally, I have a Samsung 115mm zoom camera and I swear by it. I've gotten some awesome shots of flowers at the WDW parks using the macro zoom mode. And they were taken without a tripod.

I have also been camera shopping. I've been leaning toward a Pentax 105 zoom/all weather 35 mm at Ritz camera. I had an Olympus that was 3 years old and just died with no warning, so I'm not too excited with Olympus right now! LOL! My Ritz camera store also had a 6 pack of 24 roll 200 speed film for like 6.99!! I plan on getting 2 packs before I head to Disney!

I have read with great interest this thread. I am also in the market for a new camera. The only reason is that my old one is just to heavy and bulky to carry thru the parks. I got the disposable ones last year but they don't take such great pictures. I was wondering about the Fuji camera also. I would like a decent zoom but alas I don't want to spend too much on it because my DD will be graduating from HS next year and I just don't think I will be as camera happy after that event next year. I do want to get a good shot of her recieving her diploma. I think in college she will probably have a better camera than I will so ... I'll just borrow hers. Please anyone who knows anymore about cameras post your advice. ;) ;) :) ;) ;)

Okay, here are the final results. I just bought the Olympus Stylus Zoom 140 Deluxe for $149 (total including shipping). The deluxe model has date and panorama (doubt I ever use the panorama) and comes with the case and battery. It also just uses one battery, BigDave!

The Pentax IQZoom 160 was also a serious consideration. Well, to be honest, I looked at all of the cameras you nice people suggested. The size and features were what finally made me decide. I know that I'll use it a lot more if it's very easy to carry around.

It should be here by Friday (ordered it over the internet), and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. The camera is a factory reconditioned model that comes with an Olympus factory warranty. I got it for $100 cheaper than Wal-Mart was selling it for (as of Saturday). I'm crossing my fingers that it works out well!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Your comments helped me decide what I really wanted (even if I did go over my $100 limit! LOL). Gillian, I hope I have your experience and not ZachnElli's!

!!Wow, when I saw that price for the Olympus, I wondered how you got that camera that low. Good job!! Interestingly enough I was ready to finally buy and had narrowed it down to a FUJI (120 zoom) or a Samsung (140 zoom). the first was 130 with rebate and the second around 140 at Sears. Price and the long zoom were deciding factors. Good thing I waited as my mother bought me the Pentax 160!!

I would never have spent the $$ on the 160, but I sure am happy with it.

Hopefully it will take the same great quality pictures that my old Pentax did. I had borrowed my daughters Pentax 80 for prom pictures and they were great, except I did a little head cropping :( .

I had better practice with the new one before the next important occasion!

thanks for the update

BigDave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter