VGF2 Big Pine Key Bldg Resort Studio - No Microwave email Campaign

See all the different posts, makes me really think that DVC should have added this new building on as a separate DVC Resort instead of adding it on to VGF 1.0. As a current owner I'm not happy to have all these hotel rooms added on to the existing Resort, I bought VGF 1.0 because it had 1 & 2 bedroom categories. I could have bought Poly if I wanted just studios (bungalows don't count).

If people want access to 1 & 2 Bedrooms, than could either wait for resale points through a broker or buy direct from DVC after they ROFR points.
I do not believe they want a separate expiration date on the contract which is why they included with the VGF 1.0. I have been reading this and while I agree you would expect from a Disney Time Share the bare minimum of a microwave and mini fridge, I am not going to have a "hissy fit" about it. I will just vote with my pocket book and not buy points, nor will I book there. I felt all along this addition is nothing but a money grab to fill the coffers after a pandemic that has resulted in poor DVC sales on RIV.

I wonder if there are any tea drinkers here besides me. Although I really appreciate the coffee maker in the room, I like the ability to make myself a cup of tea in the afternoon. I depend on the microwave to heat a cup of water, then I throw in a tea bag. No microwave=no tea.

See all the different posts, makes me really think that DVC should have added this new building on as a separate DVC Resort instead of adding it on to VGF 1.0. As a current owner I'm not happy to have all these hotel rooms added on to the existing Resort, I bought VGF 1.0 because it had 1 & 2 bedroom categories. I could have bought Poly if I wanted just studios (bungalows don't count).

If people want access to 1 & 2 Bedrooms, than could either wait for resale points through a broker or buy direct from DVC after they ROFR points.
Yes. I see this whole thread as not being about a microwave, but about the fear that this will create way too much competition for the VGF 1.0 studios. This would be especially true if the buy-in price for VGF 2.0 is offered at less than the current buy-in price for 1.0. Those who like the original studio amenities could "get in" for a lesser price than they can now.

As to the will-people-want-a-microwave-or-not assumptions, I agree that the majority of people prefer a room with more amenities vs. less. That's a no-brainer.

Yes. I see this whole thread as not being about a microwave, but about the fear that this will create way too much competition for the VGF 1.0 studios. This would be especially true if the buy-in price for VGF 2.0 is offered at less than the current buy-in price for 1.0. Those who like the original studio amenities could "get in" for a lesser price than they can now.

As to the will-people-want-a-microwave-or-not assumptions, I agree that the majority of people prefer a room with more amenities vs. less. That's a no-brainer.
Actually as a current owner I'm more afraid of the increased competition for 1 & 2 Bedrooms with the 2 million+ points being dumped into the Resort, with only studios being added. The ratio of studios to 1 & 2 Bedrooms in the original VGF 1.0 was reasonable, now it has been thrown way off with a ton of added points. I would have bough Poly if I wanted studios. Not really happy about this only studio addition to the current VGF. Really wish they would have just started a new Resort like at Wilderness Lodge, but they wanted to advertise the new points as having access to 1 & 2 Bedrooms...... even though it will now get even tougher to reserve those.

The queen just rolled over, tea made in the nuke

As bad as it is to make tea in the microwave, I do understand this use case
Twining specifically says do not make in microwave, I never understood why. It tastes ok to me.

Last edited:
Actually as a current owner I'm more afraid of the increased competition for 1 & 2 Bedrooms with the 2 million+ points being dumped into the Resort, with only studios being added. The ratio of studios to 1 & 2 Bedrooms in the original VGF 1.0 was reasonable, now it has been thrown way off with a ton of added points. I would have bough Poly if I wanted studios. Not really happy about this only studio addition to the current VGF. Really wish they would have just started a new Resort like at Wilderness Lodge, but they wanted to advertise the new points as having access to 1 & 2 Bedrooms...... even though it will now get even tougher to reserve those.
An excellent point.

the very simple answer is a microwave does not evenly heat the water molecules thereby creating a cup of water that does not fully release the flavors of the tea leafs

it’s a tea snob thing

I don't think it's a no-brainer.

I don't cook on vacation. I've never used the microwave. I had to look up whether Poly even has them. The fridge is nice, but I rarely use it or I just use it for water. I don't mind using the community laundry when I need to, I can get some ice for my water. Two real beds is better for me, few point premium for theme park view is even better. This is AWESOME for me. The resort studio theme park category is exactly what I want, as a VGF owner. Even better if they are able to up the count of accessible rooms, which I would think is a no-brainer.

But yea, there are so few villa studios, that obviously this will crush them, and in turn the 2BR lockoffs. That's a shame. You don't need a majority to crush demand for so few studios.

I had though inflating point count would double the size of this resort, but the chart is reasonable. Maybe this is even smaller a project than I thought.

exactly. For me at least, this isn't about a microwave but the fear that Disney will somehow make it hard for me, as an existing owner, to get a Deluxe Studio or 1/2 bedroom. There are a number of ways that could happen including reduced amenities in the new rooms as well as higher point charts in the new rooms.

Ultimately, I just don't trust DVC to get this right. I fear they will cheap out on the new rooms while also selling a ton of points against them (thus high point charts). I hope they do the right thing and balance the point charts to prevent any issues, but with current leadership, I have no confidence that they will.

Ultimately, I just don't trust DVC to get this right. I fear they will cheap out on the new rooms while also selling a ton of points against them (thus high point charts). I hope they do the right thing and balance the point charts to prevent any issues, but with current leadership, I have no confidence that they will.

The chart came out yesterday. It matches the existing studios, plus a theme park view with a surprisingly low surcharge.

the very simple answer is a microwave does not evenly heat the water molecules thereby creating a cup of water that does not fully release the flavors of the tea leafs

it’s a tea snob thing
Simple stir before adding the tea should take care of that, LOL. I agree it's a tea snob thing - just like the controversy over milk. Is it better to add before you add the brewed tea or after? :)

Twining specifically says do not make in microwave, I never understood why. It tastes ok to me.

Oh, yes-I remember mentioning how I microwaved tea when I was on a tea tour at the Twinings Store in the UK several years ago, and the CM definitely was NOT pleased! Yet, I always microwave my tea water.

Simple stir before adding the tea should take care of that, LOL. I agree it's a tea snob thing - just like the controversy over milk. Is it better to add before you add the brewed tea or after? :)
Milk always goes in last :) and it’s just a splash

it’s a tea snob thing
Thanks for the explanation!

Maybe it's not safe to get water to a rolling boil in a microwave? That would be the proper temp for black teas, but other teas like green and tisanes are brewed at lower temperatures.

I echo the concerns of other owners about not having a microwave in the room. This is a lesser-tier class of room based on the amenities. Room size is not so disproportionate that it warrants a reduction in basic amenities for a $500-800/night property. If the electric circuits can't handle the load, there's the combo micro-fridges. I would not want to stay in a "DVC-motel-villa" that's inadequately appointed. I'm disappointed I have to pay dues for it, and remain glad for the 11mos window to book a proper villa.

All that said, I fully get that there may be families that will happily trade the microwave for the extra double bed and nice-views room. I jut wish it wasn't an either/or.

I book a lot of accessible rooms, so I kind of see this whole discussion differently. I recognize I have different needs than most, and there are a lot of rooms that will never work for our family. I was disappointed in RIV's accessibility -- no elevator in the lobby? Hallways that don't fit a wheelchair and a double stroller? But, I don't think every room category should work for us, or that everyone else should also have an accessible room/hotel because I want one. I mean, DVC has whole buildings that are walk-up, THAT'S inconvenient. I don't want the walk-up, so I don't book it.

For what it matters, I would bet DVC is really going to up the accessibility while they are doing this flip. That's good news for those that need accessible rooms. Taking away ME was a big blow. I would bet that this is a great canvas to put in some accessible rooms. That's a win for me as a VGF owner.

I've also booked accessible rooms and Disney really is pretty poor at building them. It was one of the few places that my sister asked about me submitting feedback from her. She needed a fridge with freezer and at least Poly had it at the time. But the microwave that she also needed? Was up on a shelf out of her reach. I needed to assist. We both agreed that they had finally gotten the roll in shower adequately done unlike many previous DVC resorts. OKW was built at a different time and yes, they've moved on but if Big Pine doesn't have good accessibility now it won't by the time that these DVC rooms are done either.

I wonder if there are any tea drinkers here besides me. Although I really appreciate the coffee maker in the room, I like the ability to make myself a cup of tea in the afternoon. I depend on the microwave to heat a cup of water, then I throw in a tea bag. No microwave=no tea.

Not a tea drinker, but that is a good point. Maybe if they won't do the microwave, they can add a coffee pot that has the hot water side as well (we have one of these at our house)...or at least include an electric tea kettle!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter