Video Recorders? Or even worse, iPads?!

Domo

Wotcha
I understand the wish to record your special holiday, but wouldn't it be more fun to, I dunno, just watch the fireworks and let it sink in, enjoy it? Same goes for iPads, only double... not only are you missing out on the spectacle, you're annoying the person behind you trying to see. Trust me there.

Could just be me.

I don't take pictures with my ipad only my regular camera. I use my ipad for the internet only.

Yes, triple yes. I hate having someone standing in front of me holding up an IPAD. I'm 5' 2" it's hard enough for us height challenged people to see without that blocking the way.

Who actually watches their recordings of fireworks in the first place?

And what is the quality of the recordings? Same thing with people taking pics on rides. Trust me, someone has already posted a better video/photo on the internet.

I don't understand why people watch the fireworks on the iPad while recording them instead of looking directly at them. So they go home and show it to a friend and say, "We saw this live." Um, no you didn't.

Yes, exactly this. Sure, it's annoying when someone holds up an iPad in front of me, but I can usually see around it. I just don't understand the concept. They're watching their iPad, not actually watching the show. So in effect, they watched a video. Boggles my mind.

Actually kind of facing that dilemma now...all 3 of our kids are very active in sports. DS13 is now in his 5th year of football and DS10 is in his 4th year, and DD10 is a year round lacrosse player. The boys have asked me to start taking video of them, so they can watch game tape on themselves and see what they're doing. We didn't even own a working camcorder, so I just ordered one. However, not sure how I want to handle it. I want to film them, because I definitely think it will help them to watch film of themselves and see what they're doing. At the same time, since it's live action, I can't just point the camera and leave it, you need to follow along. But I very much like to see them playing with my own eyes, not through a camera lens. My luck...if I record every other play, the one I'll miss is one where they make a great play or a really bad one they can learn from.

The boys have asked me to start taking video of them,
But I very much like to see them playing with my own eyes, not through a camera lens. My luck...if I record every other play, the one I'll miss is one where they make a great play or a really bad one they can learn from.

My boy played football, I also taped but just set the camera on a tripod and pointed it at the action. Funny part...one time he got the football, running for a touchdown, I'm yelling and moving camera at same time....you guessed it, we watched the tape later, I'm right behind him about 5 yards all the way...LOL. :lmao::lmao:I have a great video of the grass.

I have very few photos, and no videos, of our trips - but I have great memories! I don't have the need to share my experiences with anyone else, so no need to record every step of every freakin' thing. We talk about our trips, share memories, and if we want, we find a video on YouTube if a friend wants a better idea of something. Nothing ruins an attraction more than having the glare of 3-4 iPads in front of you, IMO. Except maybe the idiot taking flash photography on IASW.

And what is the quality of the recordings? Same thing with people taking pics on rides. Trust me, someone has already posted a better video/photo on the internet.
I used to take pics on the dark rides. (no flash, LCD off) It was all about the challenge of it, how far you could push your equipment, how steady your hands are with a super slow shutter speed + moving vehicle. But camera sensors have come such a long way it's now easy to do so it's no fun anymore, lol.
Yes, exactly this. Sure, it's annoying when someone holds up an iPad in front of me, but I can usually see around it. I just don't understand the concept. They're watching their iPad, not actually watching the show. So in effect, they watched a video. Boggles my mind.

Actually kind of facing that dilemma now...all 3 of our kids are very active in sports. DS13 is now in his 5th year of football and DS10 is in his 4th year, and DD10 is a year round lacrosse player. The boys have asked me to start taking video of them, so they can watch game tape on themselves and see what they're doing. We didn't even own a working camcorder, so I just ordered one. However, not sure how I want to handle it. I want to film them, because I definitely think it will help them to watch film of themselves and see what they're doing. At the same time, since it's live action, I can't just point the camera and leave it, you need to follow along. But I very much like to see them playing with my own eyes, not through a camera lens. My luck...if I record every other play, the one I'll miss is one where they make a great play or a really bad one they can learn from.
Tripod + wide angle. Set and forget.

On iPads as camera/video. Drives me nuts. Here I am getting to my kid's play early so I can get a good spot, kneeling so I'm out of people's way, my camera is up to my face so not in anyone's frame and here comes "late mom/dad" rushing up to the front and hoisting their iPad in the air and ruining everyone's view/shot. Not to mention their photos/video are sure to pretty crappy because holding an iPad steady out in front of you is not an easy task.

As far as watching through the lens I learned very early on to strike a balance. It's pointless to me to capture "memories" if I'm not invested/participating in them as well. A handful of pics, record one scene/song and then sit back and actually watch it.

Who actually watches their recordings of fireworks in the first place? I've never understood why people record that.

It's my opinion that at least 80% of theme park videos recorded on an ipad are just quickly glanced at later, or possibly never viewed at all.

The same for those camcorder videos in the stone ages.

I understand the wish to record your special holiday, but wouldn't it be more fun to, I dunno, just watch the fireworks and let it sink in, enjoy it? Same goes for iPads, only double... not only are you missing out on the spectacle, you're annoying the person behind you trying to see. Trust me there.

Could just be me.
....a-HA! So YOU were that annoying dude.....figures.

It's my opinion that at least 80% of theme park videos recorded on an ipad are just quickly glanced at later, or possibly never viewed at all.

The same for those camcorder videos in the stone ages.

....guilty. as. charged. [I don't even own a VCR anymore....:confused3 ]

Thank God I'm not the only one! I was also pondering why people use their tablets as cameras? Isn't that what a camera is for? Or at a push, a phone? Not a humungous tablet?

Tripod + wide angle. Set and forget.

I don't know much about cameras, but I don't think a wide angle lens is going to capture what I really need to see. I suspect it'd be a far off shot that really doesn't show things like footwork, which is important to capture. Also, since they may be running half way down the field (both play linebacker), if the shot is a wide enough view to capture it all, then it's going to be really far away.

I don't know much about cameras, but I don't think a wide angle lens is going to capture what I really need to see. I suspect it'd be a far off shot that really doesn't show things like footwork, which is important to capture. Also, since they may be running half way down the field (both play linebacker), if the shot is a wide enough view to capture it all, then it's going to be really far away.
Hm. I suppose you will have to compromise and film half/watch half type of thing.

Hm. I suppose you will have to compromise and film half/watch half type of thing.
I have the same problem. My kids play soccer. I *LOVE* watching them play. However, I'm also the "designated" team photographer (stills). When I'm taking stills, I don't get to enjoy the game flow (although still see a lot of the action). I'll take stills at some games and others I watch. It just is what it is.

@Klayfish, I recommend getting parents together to shoot "coaches" video quality and take turns. This would generally be ~ 1/4 field encompassing most everyone on the field. It may not show footwork, but it would show the flow of the play and help with "reads".

Thank God I'm not the only one! I was also pondering why people use their tablets as cameras? Isn't that what a camera is for? Or at a push, a phone? Not a humungous tablet?
As an avid photographer, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. Investing in a small, compact digital camera doesn't cost much nowadays. Or like you said, just use your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter