Vinylmation.....Who's addicted?

We bought our first vinylmation on our trip in June 2010 and fell in love with them. We don't have too many, but truly enjoy what we do have. My nephew just returned from WDW this past Saturday and brought us a 40th Anniversary one. A co-worker of my husband's just left to go to WDW on Friday and is going to bring us back a couple. I can't wait!

That is great! It is so much fun to open the boxes that you cant see what is inside. My little one along with us act like we are opening a Christmas gift. Very exciting stuff......

How much do these cost?

A few years ago WDW had miniatures...characters,park icons, park rides...so cute!.....3 came to a bag for $5...you didn't know what you got until you openedthe bag.You could trade these too...we just loved them!...they had Star Wars ones too.I haven't been to WDW in a few years so I don't know if they still have miniatures...I think Vinylmation has probably taken their place.

I would also like to know the answer to this. How much do they cost? Do they have different sizes? What about the little bags with three characters...are they something different?

I just started collecting a couple weeks ago, I only have 4 lol. But even though I only have 4 and I just started, its still a lot of fun! And there are so many!

That being said I have a question. I've been considering just saving my money and buying them by the set rather than individually. Does anybody ever do this? Or does that take all the fun away from trading them? I'm just afraid if I only needed 1 more to complete a set that I couldnt find anybody to trade with me. anybody ever run into any problems like that while trying to complete a set?

Since the question has come up a couple times I'd like to address it.

Yes there have been occasional marks allowing a person to tell what is in a blind box. They are not intentional and when it is discovered by Disney they make sure those signs are fixed at the production plant. Any attempt to try and figure out what is in the box before purchasing is just plain cheating. Most vinyl boards disallow discussion of methods to do so.

That said, don't assume someone is trying to cheat if you see them looking at box bottoms. I've seen too many sitting on the shelf pre-opened on the bottom, so I'll often check the bottoms of a number of boxes before buying them.

Thankfully my buying habits have settled considerably. I have maybe 70 3" and eight or nine 9". The price increases and general glut of VMs now being produced make me slow down and take notice. My main love is the Parks series but at $13 each I just can't bring myself to buy much of them.

The miniature figures that come in little bags of three are not vinylmations. I believe they are for the monorail play set. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My kiddo (7) and I had a blast with these. I thought the cast members were very good to her in terms of letting her rechoose (she wouldn't know a muppet if it walked up and bit her on the nose). I suspect they just reached in and pulled out a girly one a couple of times, especially this one, which turned out to be her favorite:

Flowers and Fairies by BlindBoxes, on Flickr

We ended up with some great animation ones and a few park ones. She actually PLAYS with hers (gasp, I know).

DH even ended up getting a couple of Star Wars ones for his desk at work.

ETA: DD accidentally left her magic mirror Vinylmation on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. We went to guest services to see if it had been turned in (of course it hadn't, but DD wanted to check). The very nice cast member-in-training didn't see it, but did give DD a voucher to go buy a new one at the Emporium, which was a very magical touch. (It also taught her to be MUCH more careful with her toys!)

That being said I have a question. I've been considering just saving my money and buying them by the set rather than individually. Does anybody ever do this? Or does that take all the fun away from trading them? I'm just afraid if I only needed 1 more to complete a set that I couldnt find anybody to trade with me. anybody ever run into any problems like that while trying to complete a set?

You can buy separate boxes but you don't know if you have a set UNLESS you buy the whole tray which I think has 3 sets and 3 chasers. We were in DLR DTD D Street one afternoon when a mom bought a whole tray as party favors for her kids' birthday parties. Nice favors:thumbsup2

My DD has been looking for a year for a certain one, still looking to trade or select it.

You can buy separate boxes but you don't know if you have a set UNLESS you buy the whole tray which I think has 3 sets and 3 chasers. We were in DLR DTD D Street one afternoon when a mom bought a whole tray as party favors for her kids' birthday parties. Nice favors:thumbsup2

My DD has been looking for a year for a certain one, still looking to trade or select it.

Our Disney Store sells them, and yo have to get there really early to see if a new tray is being set out. There are a lot of people who wait on "shipment" days and just go in and buy up the whole trays. It's starting to remind me of the beanie babies.

I just watch eBay and get the ones I want. So far I've been able to get all of the individual ones I wanted by paying no more than $1 over retail (including shipping). Of course I'm not after the chasers or anything. My Disney "desk" display at work is specifically themed, so I don't need all of them.

Obsessed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about Vinylmations...I check the Disney Store online daily to see if they have posted anything new...I have about 50 vinyls right now with about 25 more to trade...I have put them in a shelf right by my bed so I can look at them when I wake up! HAHAHAHA! :rotfl2:

I love them and CAN'T wait for the Haunted Mansion Series!!!

Obsessed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about Vinylmations...I check the Disney Store online daily to see if they have posted anything new...I have about 50 vinyls right now with about 25 more to trade...I have put them in a shelf right by my bed so I can look at them when I wake up! HAHAHAHA! :rotfl2:

I love them and CAN'T wait for the Haunted Mansion Series!!!

Yeah the HM series, and the Steam Punk are going to probably be the first ones I toss a lot of cash out on. :scared1:

You can buy separate boxes but you don't know if you have a set UNLESS you buy the whole tray which I think has 3 sets and 3 chasers.

Each tray has 24 figures total. 2 sets of the 11 commons, 1 chaser, and 1 filler (another common).

Sounds awesome.. . I will admit I can see why people like collecting them. I was at Hollywood Studios yesterday and bought about 5 more. Theres a litlte bit of rush when opening and not knowing which one you're going to get..Thanks for your help kikiq!!:thumbsup2

Does anyone know if the star wars vinylmations are sold out in the parks? Heard a rumor that the were holding them in efforts to have enough for SWW. We are going in late Sept and my DH would love to buy some. Any info?

Does anyone know if the star wars vinylmations are sold out in the parks? Heard a rumor that the were holding them in efforts to have enough for SWW. We are going in late Sept and my DH would love to buy some. Any info?

The only real answer is that no one knows the answer. :( except people directly involved in Disney Merchandise and they are not really talking.

What HAS been said officially is that fans shouldn't worry, and that they will be around for a long time. The rumor that they are being held back for SWW is likely true. Out of stock for now, but not sold out in the sense that they are retired. I've said before that SW has the potential to be the highest selling VM Set to date, and I think Disney probably realizes that as well.

I was tempted to start buying them in Epcot. I thought it would be neat to have one from each country, however DH thought it would be just more junk collecting dust and taking up space in our house.

After reading a trip report where someone bought their first one and their experience trading them, I now want to start this when we are there in July. I think it sounds like something the kids would enjoy.

When we were there in January we started buying the small figures - Collectors Pack Park Series?? The kids loved those, so there I was, standing in the stores feeling the packages to guess at what was inside! (Sorry to those that don't approve) Yes, I even save the packaging and tried scanning it to put in my digital scrapbook. Maybe this obsessive behavior is why I should stay away from vinylmation!

CollectPack.jpg
CollectPack2.jpg

We do have 2 vinylmations that my sister got for us on her trip last year. I don't care what DH thinks, I'm adding to that collection!

My teenage daughter is. I have 12 of them, but only because I really like the particular design. She is not into the trading, only collecting. However, she only purchases certain series. She does not care for any of the Urban Series, Villians, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter