VIRGIN DECREASE baggage allowance from 1st April

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx its a huge releif to be sorted again

I am off to buy some dollars and euros now its bonus day!! woohoo. a years worth of work finally paid off

I was supposed to get tickets in the post today...they didn't come TA spoke to virgin about it and asked about my baggage allowance...It appears i am intitled to the 32kg allowance...which is good news :)

Marv :wave:

We booked 18 months ago to travel in October, we are staying for 3 weeks & getting married out there & i'm now worried that by the time i get my wedding dress & DD gets her bridesmaid dress in the case we wont be able to put anything else in!!!!!

Its only economy that has the standard baggage allowance. Both PE and UC have the 32 KG, but really, how many of you take 64KG EACH of luggage and if you do, you have a serious packing/taking far too much problem!

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
Its only economy that has the standard baggage allowance. Both PE and UC have the 32 KG, but really, how many of you take 64KG EACH of luggage and if you do, you have a serious packing/taking far too much problem!

Cases often weigh more than 23kg but less than 32kg. I don't think that is the issue. I think it is that Virgin are trying to sting Economy passengers for more money for no good reason apart from lining Richard Branson's pockets.

mikki.young said:
Cases often weigh more than 23kg but less than 32kg. I don't think that is the issue. I think it is that Virgin are trying to sting Economy passengers for more money for no good reason apart from lining Richard Branson's pockets.

utter nonsense.
Each bag weight effects the amount of fuel that is used on a flight. More weight, more fuel used. Why do you think the cost of excess baggage is so much? that is the true cost of the weight vs fuel used.

Why do you think that the LoCo airlines are starting to charge for cases?
Why on earth do you think that the majority of other airlines have the same weight limits?
What you pay for an economy ticket is less than the true cost, how about paying more for your flight?

To come out with such a snidy remark about Sir Richard is pathetic. :furious:

I wish some individuals would get it it on here....its not the weight issue its the amount of cases we would have to take and bring back at 23 kg weight... the case's i have packed at the mioment weighs 25kg if i cant take 32kg i will have to take another case. I would be hard pushed to fit the case up to 32kg but i would be under the limit...Thats means more luggage to take and more to bring back..
I think one case at 32kg would be sufficeint to take and you wouldn't have the worry of going over the allowance...but 2 cases at 23 kg its easy to go over the allowance...which means more cases and there is no way you could fit the luggage in the hired cars.
We had 5 cases and 5 full baggage allowance passengers and the weight of the cases was grouped together at check in..if Virgin made it clear that they would group your weight as to weighing cases individually then i dont think everyone would be too upset by the change.

Marv

Obi Wan Kenobi said:

I don't want to take 64 kgs of luggage each - I don't even want to take 46 kgs of luggage each! I just want to be able to continue to fit everything I need for a 3 week holiday for a family of 4 into 2 large cases.

This is simply a cost cutting exercise by Virgin (following on from other airlines) and I don't see them lowering the fuel supplements - they're raising them at the same time.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
utter nonsense.
Each bag weight effects the amount of fuel that is used on a flight. More weight, more fuel used. Why do you think the cost of excess baggage is so much? that is the true cost of the weight vs fuel used.

Why do you think that the LoCo airlines are starting to charge for cases?
Why on earth do you think that the majority of other airlines have the same weight limits?
What you pay for an economy ticket is less than the true cost, how about paying more for your flight?

To come out with such a snidy remark about Sir Richard is pathetic. :furious:

I think you just made my point for me. If lower bag weights equals lower fuel usage then that equals lower costs for the airline.

Weight limits vary depending on length of flight - low for internal, slightly higher for within Europe and most for transatlantic or long haul. Yes, low cost carriers have low limits but Virgin has not in the past tried to be a low cost, low service carrier. Maybe that is changing.

I can't comment on the cost of an economy ticket being less than the true cost because I don't know the answer nor do I choose to travel that way. Not everyone has that choice. As BA have not decreased their baggage allowance from 32kg (yet!) then if folk need the higher limit per case maybe they should change carriers.

There are a huge number of good things that Richard Branson has done but he is a businessman and cost cutting tends to lead to more money for the business and him.

mikki.young said:
I think you just made my point for me. If lower bag weights equals lower fuel usage then that equals lower costs for the airline.

Weight limits vary depending on length of flight - low for internal, slightly higher for within Europe and most for transatlantic or long haul. Yes, low cost carriers have low limits but Virgin has not in the past tried to be a low cost, low service carrier. Maybe that is changing.

I can't comment on the cost of an economy ticket being less than the true cost because I don't know the answer nor do I choose to travel that way. Not everyone has that choice. As BA have not decreased their baggage allowance from 32kg (yet!) then if folk need the higher limit per case maybe they should change carriers.

There are a huge number of good things that Richard Branson has done but he is a businessman and cost cutting tends to lead to more money for the business and him.

Virgin are spending a huge amount of money renewing their aircraft and increasing the amount of destinations and aircraft.
this does not come cheap at all. In the economy market its a sad fact that the "cheapest possible please" scenario has taken over peoples attitude (though if they had to have wage cuts to pay for cheaper goods themselves, they would scream blue murder!)
In that market, then all airlines have to find cuts to stay in that price band.
How many airlines now give econ passengers 32KG per piece of luggage? how much doe the charters give you?
It seems only BA by the sounds of it. I would imagine that they will not be far behined seeing who their GM is these days and what he did at Aer Lingus.
There is no change in the PE or UC classes.

TraceyL said:
I don't want to take 64 kgs of luggage each - I don't even want to take 46 kgs of luggage each! I just want to be able to continue to fit everything I need for a 3 week holiday for a family of 4 into 2 large cases.

This is simply a cost cutting exercise by Virgin (following on from other airlines) and I don't see them lowering the fuel supplements - they're raising them at the same time.

This is also a problem for the luggage handlers at 32KG is right on the limit of what H&S allow them to lift due to many injuries, so that will effect you
Yes, fuel surcharges have gone up, so has the cost of AVGas. ALL airlines have to make cost savings to survive in the B & S routes. But the choice is yours as a consumer of course, go with an airline who allows you 2 X 32 KG cases at a price and don't worry about the consequenses to the baggage handlers :sunny: :sunny:

marv said:
I wish some individuals would get it it on here....its not the weight issue its the amount of cases we would have to take and bring back at 23 kg weight... the case's i have packed at the mioment weighs 25kg if i cant take 32kg i will have to take another case. I would be hard pushed to fit the case up to 32kg but i would be under the limit...Thats means more luggage to take and more to bring back..
I think one case at 32kg would be sufficeint to take and you wouldn't have the worry of going over the allowance...but 2 cases at 23 kg its easy to go over the allowance...which means more cases and there is no way you could fit the luggage in the hired cars.
We had 5 cases and 5 full baggage allowance passengers and the weight of the cases was grouped together at check in..if Virgin made it clear that they would group your weight as to weighing cases individually then i dont think everyone would be too upset by the change.

Marv

But you DON'T need to take so much stuff on holiday! reduce what you take.

VS are just the latest in the long line of carriers operating to/from North America to reduce the per piece weight limit from 32Kg. The reason for doing this is fuel costs.

Most of the carriers aren't able to (because of bilateral treaties) to increase the cost of their fares. Even if they could they wouldn't want to as it would disadvantage them with respect to the rest. Also, changing the fuel surcharge is a long winded process too - it needs approval too. Most people when purchasing tickets are hooked by the initial price and then get stung for taxes and other surcharges.

By reducing the weight limit they will reduce the amount of stuff they carry free in the hold. This will reduce the fuel burn or allow them to carry more cargo.

Most people should be able to get their holiday stuff into the reduced limit.

Those of us that go shopping as well whilst out there will just have to get used to the lower limit. How much weight of stuff can you purchase before you hit the customs value limit and have to pay tax and duty? ;)

:) Chris.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
But you DON'T need to take so much stuff on holiday! reduce what you take.

Actually obi last time we only took 1 case for 5 of us this time ime taking 2 as we are cruising and have taken clothes for this.
I am not taking alot for 5 of us and only intend to bring back 3 more cases thats 5..1 each, but if the weight is 23kg and they group weigh then it shouldn't be a problem as we are allowed 2 peices at 23kg

Marv

marv said:
Actually obi last time we only took 1 case for 5 of us this time ime taking 2 as we are cruising and have taken clothes for this.
I am not taking alot for 5 of us and only intend to bring back 3 more cases thats 5..1 each, but if the weight is 23kg and they group weigh then it shouldn't be a problem as we are allowed 2 peices at 23kg

Marv

EXACTLY Mary. You have the right idea :thumbsup2

But remember, no case can be above 32KG regardless of your class anyway

I feel like I have been travelling in a different world. Our normal allocation is 20 kg each. We took two large hard bodied suitcases and a soft bodied large holdall last year between 4 of us. I made sure the cases were light before we travelled to allow for purchases in Florida and we had no problems whatsoever. I cannot see 23 kgs in one suitcase being a problem at all.

We are travelling with Virgin next year so 46 kgs each seems a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter