Virgin delayed 4 and 1/2 hours

Does it help to know I sat on a BA airplane for 9 hours (yes, 9 hours) with no food, no water, and a stream of never-ending excuses for why we were sitting there (the lamest one being that the fuel was 'unbalanced')? After 9 long hours they admitted the ground crew had gone out on strike and there was no one to take us off the plane. Once they did get us back to the terminal they dropped us off (with about a million other stranded passengers) and basically said 'Good luck and goodbye!'

Would I fly with them again? Sure. These things happen. I didn't like it, but I'll bet they didn't either. Flights get delayed and as much as it's a serious pain in the behind, it's a fact of travelling life.

I always fly to Orlando with Virgin these days because of the benefits of being in the Flying Club, but to rule out future travel based on one bad experience is crazy.

Over the years I have had delays (anything from 1-7 hours) on BA, Qantas, American Airlines, Continental, United, Airtran, Delta, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, KLM, Iberia, easyJet, Monarch, Jersey European, Gulf Air, PanAm and even Danair.

In other words, every airline has plenty of delays - it's not very pleasant, but if you want to travel, you've got to accept it's gonna happen!

Over the years I have had delays (anything from 1-7 hours) on BA, Qantas, American Airlines, Continental, United, Airtran, Delta, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, KLM, Iberia, easyJet, Monarch, Jersey European, Gulf Air, PanAm and even Danair.
Are you really Alan Whicker? :rotfl:

the only flight i have been on that took off exactly on time was an RAF VC10 flight to Hong Kong, Dan Air now thats a blast from the past, had a delay on Laker airways once, they had to change an engine, :scared1: no spare planes in that fleet.

So for the past few days the VS15 has been leaving on time. But yesterday it left 5 minutes EARLY but arrived 3.5 hours LATE!!

How doid that happen, did it get lost?!

So for the past few days the VS15 has been leaving on time. But yesterday it left 5 minutes EARLY but arrived 3.5 hours LATE!!

I am guessing they got diverted either due to a medical emergency or due to the bad storms around Orlando yesterday as MCO was closed for about 30 minutes from 1630hrs to 1700hrs and that could of meant they diverted elsewhere to wait for the storms to clear and then they had to rearrange landing slots etc.

Claire ;)

Interesting. Where do you get your departure details from?

When I've been checking with actual departures from the BAA website and this has shown that the Virgin flights have all been taking off approx 1/2 hour to an hour late (have the details on my work PC). Whereas the Virgin website has been quoting taking off near enough on time. :rolleyes2

Today the VS027 took off at 11:02 (only 17 minutes late) on the BAA website, Virgin are quoting 10:50.

Interesting. Where do you get your departure details from?

When I've been checking with actual departures from the BAA website and this has shown that the Virgin flights have all been taking off approx 1/2 hour to an hour late (have the details on my work PC). Whereas the Virgin website has been quoting taking off near enough on time. :rolleyes2

Today the VS027 took off at 11:02 (only 17 minutes late) on the BAA website, Virgin are quoting 10:50.

I have been checking the VA website! The difference in take offs is due to one site taking the time as when the airplane pushes back from the gate and the other from actual take off.

BTW the late arrival for VS015 yesterday I noted on the VA website.

Claire ;)

Looks like it has had a knock effect today :confused3
Flight number VS 015
Departure date 07 May 2007
Route London (LGW) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 07 May 12:45
Actual departure time 07 May 13:43
Scheduled arrival time 07 May 16:55
Estimated arrival time 07 May 17:21

Elise

Looks like it has had a knock effect today :confused3
Flight number VS 015
Departure date 07 May 2007
Route London (LGW) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 07 May 12:45
Actual departure time 07 May 13:43
Scheduled arrival time 07 May 16:55
Estimated arrival time 07 May 17:21

Elise

The VS015 is usually the same plane that was the VS044 and came in from Vegas so not sure if yesterday's delay of the VS015 would of effected the VS015 today.

Claire ;)

My sister has returned recently from an Easter break. Their flight was delayed on their return but they were informed before they went to the airport and were able to enjoy an extra half a day in Disney.

Now that's a good result from a flight delay.

here I am sitting at gate 81 at MCO for the vs016 that should have left at 1940 but is apparently delayed until 2325. We have been to the virgin staff twice for information, I quietly approached for info on the delay (when no estimate was displayed) and was met by rude staff that did not make eye contact, didn't look up from their vdu's and couldn't give me a reason for the delay. My DH approached but saw only a member of groundstaff there so asked him if he was representing virgin to answer a query and was given the following "would I be standing here working on the the computers if I didn't work here"
Not good enough.
I'm sorry if they are on a longer shift due to the delay but that's no excuse for rudeness.

The problem for most airlines is that they do not have groundstaff under contract any more, in the UK many airlines contract out groundstaff to people like Aviance etc, with only a few contract employees to oversee.
In foriegn countries, they don't even have that.

I would write a letter of complaint when you get back to Customer Services. You might at least get some FF points!

Also should say that the VS16 is now due in at 12:24 instead of 08:45.
This is having a knock-on effect to the VS15, now delayed from 12:45 to 14:45, but I would imagine that wont be the final take off time :sad2:

Also should say that the VS16 is now due in at 12:24 instead of 08:45.
This is having a knock-on effect to the VS15, now delayed from 12:45 to 14:45, but I would imagine that wont be the final take off time :sad2:

I thought the VS015 was usually the VS044 from Vegas?

Claire ;)

we landed at 1215 exactly. after a near five hour delay the last two of which there were no available refreshments. it took 90 mins to get a drink from the crew. they finally dipped the cabin lights aftr over 3 hrs, most of which was spent selling duty free by which time it was sunrise with all the blinds up! we asked why they hadn't dimmed the lights they siad they were waiting to finish serving duty free, although they served the PE cabin with their lights down. after a near five hour delay with two children under four this was no fun. I just wished they could have done the duty free bit later rather than sooner and more than two drinks were made available.
pretty shoddy virgin!!!
Must add when the five of us checked in at dtd they gave us three across the window seat for my dd19mo and the infant care chair they gave my dd4 and my mum (5ft 3in) an extra legroom seat across the aisle from us with a bassinet table!! what a waste!!! laughable......

we landed at 1215 exactly. after a near five hour delay the last two of which there were no available refreshments. it took 90 mins to get a drink from the crew. they finally dipped the cabin lights aftr over 3 hrs, most of which was spent selling duty free by which time it was sunrise with all the blinds up! we asked why they hadn't dimmed the lights they siad they were waiting to finish serving duty free, although they served the PE cabin with their lights down. after a near five hour delay with two children under four this was no fun. I just wished they could have done the duty free bit later rather than sooner and more than two drinks were made available.
pretty shoddy virgin!!!
Must add when the five of us checked in at dtd they gave us three across the window seat for my dd19mo and the infant care chair they gave my dd4 and my mum (5ft 3in) an extra legroom seat across the aisle from us with a bassinet table!! what a waste!!! laughable......

Well it could have been worse, you copuld have been delayed 24 hours as the TCD passengers, or 39 hours like the Flyglobespan passengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter