Viva Italia 2008 - Tips

PiperPilot

Earning My Ears
We have returned from our Viva Italia trip and below are some tips from the trip. We had a great time.

(1) Double check the dates and airline information of your trip with the information that Adventures By Disney has. We had one unfortunate family that was not met at the Rome airport by ABD. It sounds like they made changes to the trip dates and somewhere the info didn't get updated (Travel Agent??, ABD??).

The family ended up having to fend for themselves and had to take a taxi from the Rome airport to the hotel (~$100). Also, be sure to obtain a taxi receipt. The family is trying to get ABD to reimburse them for the taxi (no receipt) and ABD is taking a hardline. To further add to their bad day, the hotel had no record of their arrival. Apparently, the front desk person was not aware of an Adventures By Disney tour staying at the Hotel Bernini Bristol.

(2) This is the type of scenario where having the 24-hour contact number for ABD in your wallet would be handy.

(3) I would strongly recommend planning extra days at the beginning or end of the trip. There are many more things to see and do in Rome or Venice than are covered with the ABD intinerary.

Two recommendations that I would make in Rome are to visit Ostia Antica and to visit Tivoli (Villa d'Este & Villa Adriana).

Ostia Antica is a 30 minute train ride from Rome to the coast and it is very easy to get to using the Rome Metro system and train. It is a site of ancient ruins dating back to the 7th century BC and it was the harbor city to Rome, built at the mouth of the Tiber River. You can literally walk through the ruins and stand, sit, etc. It is impressive to see how the buildings were designed. You can sit in the stadium theatre and eat your sack lunch. You can walk through the baths, climb to the second level of an apartment, etc. They several very well preserved murals. Ostia Antica doesn't have the popularity of Pompeii, but it is impressive in it's own rite.

index1.jpg

The tour companies in Rome offer a day trip to Tivoli (60 Euro?) where you can visit Villa d'Este and Villa Adriana. Villa d'Este has many many fountains and gardens.
Tivoli38.jpg

Villa Adriana is a ruins that was the site where the Roman Emporer Hadrian built his retreat.
02Fontana.jpg

The Tivoli tour we went on left at 9:00 from the central station (pickup at the hotels between 7:30 and 8:30) and returned at ~14:00. The guide was ok. If I could only do one, I'd pick Ostia Antica.

(4) In Rome, there is a bank ATM machine located right next to the entrance to the Hotel Bernini Bristol. It is only 10 feet away. In Venice, the nearest ATM is about a 10 minute walk away. There a couple on the Strada Nuova, which is one of the main streets that will be pointed out by the guides. I did not see an ATM in Artimino.

(5) In Rome, there is a new self-serve laundry very close to the Hotel Bernini Bristol. It is located on Via degli Avignonesi, #17, and is only 1 to 2 blocks from the hotel. If you walk straight out of the hotel, you will be walking towards the street Via Tritone. Walk past the metro entrance and turn left at the corner, and then immediately turn right onto Avignonesi (the Air Algeria business is at the corner). Walk one block and it is on the left at address #17 (note: the addresses on the left-side and right-side of the street do not coordinate together). The laundry opens at 7:30 and the workers are very friendly and will assist you with the machines (instructions are listed on the wall in English). The cost is 4.50 Euro for a washer and 4.50 for a dryer. The washer takes 25 minutes and the dryer 35 minutes. If you want, you can drop-off your suitcase full of dirty clothers and have the workers do your laundry. Return later and you will have a packed suitcase of clean clothes. I'm not sure how much extra this service costs. The laundry is very clean and all we saw were other tourists. From our limited expereience, it appears that Americans and Brits like to be clean. If we had known of this laundry, we would have packed less for our trip. The hotel concierge let us know about this new place.

We did see a self-serve laundry in Venice also. At the Strada Nuova intesection near the Vesuvio Restaurant (this place will be one of the landmarks pointed out by the guides on the first day) turn RIGHT and walk 5 minutes. The laundry will be on the left side of the street directly across from the Arcadia Hotel.

(6) You may want to bring an alarm clock. A couple of the hotels did not provide a clock in the room.

(7) My wife says that the blow dryers in the bathroom are poor at each hotel. They routinely stopped working due to overheating and didn't blow much air. Next time she will probably bring a travel blow dryer to Italy.

(8) I would estimate that about 40% of the group was suffering from allergies at some point during the trip. I'd suggest bringing your favorite allergy relief medicines.

(9) In Artimino, you may want to have some insect repellent. The mosquitos were quite large and the many bats nearby don't eat all of them. The hotel also suggests that you sleep with the windows open in the room (no screens on the windows). While the hotel claims to have air conditioning, they stated that they don't usually turn on the main unit until July or August and hence the need to open the windows. We didn't find opening the window to make any noticeable difference. It was very hot in the room.

(10) Of course, bring some sun screen and you may also want a hat. There is lots of walking in the sun.

(11) In all of the little stores (Rome, Florence, Venice) the prices on the products are not fixed. You can easily bargain down the price. Simply ask the person if they can do better on the price. They may resist at first, but if you put the item back on the shelf and start to walk away to another part of the store they usually will respond with an offer. We found it was easy to get 10% off, and usually 20%. Remember to ask for a receipt if you are going to claim for the VAT refund.

In the market places in Florence, bargaining is expected. They may also offer to take you to their business place nearby. They will walk you a block or so away from the market and open a door where they have a much wider selection of leather goods. We had people in our group who were able to bargain as much as 75% off of the starting price. Be aware that they will want you to pay cash and you will NOT receive a receipt of the transaction for heavily discounted items.

(12) The pickpockets are very prevalent. Much worse than I've experienced in other parts of Europe. I had someone try to get what they thought was my wallet from my back pocket. I couldn't tell which person it was, but definitely noticed a hand going after the folded map in my pocket. In our group, one person had their backpack zipper opened but didn't lose anything. One person said they lost 20 Euros from their pocket.

(13) The Metro in Rome is easy to navigate. If you buy a mult-day pass it can also be used for the nearby surface trains, like the one that you would take to Ostia Antica. Except for Termini Station, you will need exact change to purchase a Metro ticket. The machines have a slot for a credit card, but it does not work.

(14) I had a personal rule to NOT eat at a restaurant where a person standing outside tried to stop you as you walked by and give you a spiel about how you should eat at their restaurant. I also tended to avoid places where there were no customers. Having a recommendation is helpful.

(15) On the day where you leave Rome to go to Artimino, the bus will make a last stop in civilization at a gas station which has a large convenience store. This is a good time to buy snacks, soda, water, wine, allergy medicine, bug spray, etc. for the 3-day stay in Artimino.

(16) The day in Florence (Firenze) is very short. You will spend almost as much time on the bus traveling to and from Florence as you will in the city. While Artimino is fairly close to Florence, the traffic is quite bad. The tour consists of a quick visit to see the David at the Academia, and the rest is a quick walking tour and then the guides turn you loose at ~12:15. The group was asked to be done by 15:30 and then we walked for 15 minutes to the bus to return to Artimino.

(17) If you want to see the Uffizi Museum in Florence you MUST purchase tickets online approximately 4 - 12 weeks ahead of time. The folks at 877-728-7282 / Adventures By Disney will tell you that you can wait until you get to Rome and ask your guides to get you tickets. That information is wrong. There were several people in our group who wanted to tour the Uffizi Museum, but the ABD guides could not get tickets. The tour time is so limited in Florence, that you can't really stand in line for a couple of hours to get same-day tickets. Only 2 people in our group got to see the Uffizi (they bought tickets 8 weeks in advance).

The Uffizi Museum tickets must be purchased online for a specific time of entry (15 minute window). An entry time of 13:00, 13:15, or 13:30 is ideal. Remember to bring your ticket confirmation number with you to obtain your tickets. You must first go to Gate-3 (the 3rd large doorway from the end) 20 minutes before your assigned time to pickup the actual ticket. Then you cross the street to the other side to Gate-1 to enter the Museum at your assigned time. The local guide can point out these entrances during the walking tour. The ABD walking tour ends at the Uffizi and the meeting point for returning to the bus is also next to the Uffizi. This makes it very convenient. A tour of each room in the museum takes a total time of about 90 minutes.

Below is the URL to the Uffizi Museum online tickets. Click on the UK flag in the top right corner if the page is in Italian. http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/Uffizi/shopper.aspx?venueId=1

(18) The second day in Artimino, you take a surprisingly long bus ride to a castello and are given a demonstration on how to make pasta. The pasta event takes about an hour or less. Then you eat lunch and back on the bus for another long bus ride back to Artimino. If given a second chance, I would strongly consider skipping this event and hiring a taxi to go from Artimino to Florence (60 Euro). The half-day tour of Florence is too short. This decision depends on how many things you want to do in Florence. The ABD itinerary only takes you into a single building to see the David. Everything else is a quick walking tour.

(19) Marco Polo airport is very slow to get through. By comparison to U.S. airports, the time to get through the ticket gates and security can be much longer than you might expect for a small airport. Our plane departure was delayed to wait for passengers who were stuck in the slow moving lines. Lucky for them it was an international flight and the plane was held.

(20) The transfer via boat from the Dei Dogi Hotel to the airport dock in Venice took us 12 minutes. We had no other traffic and we made good time. The guides state that it usually takes about 20 minutes. Once, at the airport dock, you are then greeted by a van driver, who will drive you from the dock to the front of the airport (~90 second drive). If the van driver isn't at the dock, you can simply walk under the covered walkway on the left to the departures entrance. I wouldn't wait for the transfer van if you are running late. The van ride seems a little silly to me. You will walk farther in many U.S. airports.

(21) The group did not stay in the Hotel Paggeria Medicea in Artimino as one might have gathered from the ABD website. We were boarded in rooms in the building which used to be a carriage house. The rooms are what I would describe as rustic. There are rooms on the ground floor and on a second floor. A few rooms have the bed located up in a loft. A second floor room with a loft bed is the least comfortable for temperature (think of sleeping in a bed in an attic). A handicap room will not have a shower and only a tub. The swimming pool is not heated.

(22) Many of the museums in Italy do not allow backpacks or bags into the museum. You will be approached by a security person pointing and saying "Guardaroba", which is the place where you can check your bag for storage. Some places charge a small fee for storing the bag. Do not leave anything valuable in the bag (cameras, mobile phone, etc.).

Wow!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! It's VERY helpful and informative!

Who were your guides?

Even with mention of giant mosquitoes and killer bats, I'd still love to do this trip again!

Dotti

(4) In Rome, there is a bank ATM machine located right next to the entrance to the Hotel Bernini Bristol. It is only 10 feet away. In Venice, the nearest ATM is about a 10 minute walk away. There a couple on the Strada Nuova, which is one of the main streets that will be pointed out by the guides. I did not see an ATM in Artimino.

(5) In Rome, there is a new self-serve laundry very close to the Hotel Bernini Bristol. It is located on Via degli Avignonesi, #17, and is only 1 to 2 blocks from the hotel. If you walk straight out of the hotel, you will be walking towards the street Via Tritone. Walk past the metro entrance and turn left at the corner, and then immediately turn right onto Avignonesi (the Air Algeria business is at the corner). Walk one block and it is on the left at address #17 (note: the addresses on the left-side and right-side of the street do not coordinate together). The laundry opens at 7:30 and the workers are very friendly and will assist you with the machines (instructions are listed on the wall in English). The cost is 4.50 Euro for a washer and 4.50 for a dryer. The washer takes 25 minutes and the dryer 35 minutes. If you want, you can drop-off your suitcase full of dirty clothers and have the workers do your laundry. Return later and you will have a packed suitcase of clean clothes. I'm not sure how much extra this service costs. The laundry is very clean and all we saw were other tourists. From our limited expereience, it appears that Americans and Brits like to be clean. If we had known of this laundry, we would have packed less for our trip. The hotel concierge let us know about this new place.

We did see a self-serve laundry in Venice also. At the Strada Nuova intesection near the Vesuvio Restaurant (this place will be one of the landmarks pointed out by the guides on the first day) turn RIGHT and walk 5 minutes. The laundry will be on the left side of the street directly across from the Arcadia Hotel.

Did the ATMs charge a fee? If so, do you remember the fees?

Was there much time for laundry? We would like to use the free time to see the sites, but we will also need to do laundry. We do plan on packing light.

Thank you VERY much for your information!! I hope you will do a trip report with more pictures. I would love to see how you enjoyed the trip!!

(21) The group did not stay in the Hotel Paggeria Medicea in Artimino as one might have gathered from the ABD website. We were boarded in rooms in the building which used to be a carriage house. The rooms are what I would describe as rustic. There are rooms on the ground floor and on a second floor. A few rooms have the bed located up in a loft. A second floor room with a loft bed is the least comfortable for temperature (think of sleeping in a bed in an attic). A handicap room will not have a shower and only a tub. The swimming pool is not heated.

Thanks for all the practical tips!

Your point #21 is a little bothersome to me. We are paying deluxe prices for this tour and we would be very unhappy stuck in a loft with no air! Have others that have been on Viva Italia had the same experience with the Artimino lodgings?

Also thanks for the tip about the pasta making day. We might check out other possibilites.

Don't worry guys this is absolutly normal! AC is working in every room and believe me the trip is worth every penny!!!About the pasta making everybody say that is the highlight of the trip so don't hesitate to atttend there's no point to go to Florence!The day you will spend there it's more then enough I really suggest you to don't miss the pasta making is one of the best day of the trip believe me I never heard any of the people travelling with me talking about doing something else!And you are in Italy so why skip something different that you might not doing at home???Disney will give you a Vacation of a Lifetime so don't worry and I think that if something was wrong with this trip people probably write that in this forum...Have a look at othere Viva Italia posts and see if you find anything negative......Good Luck!
Alex

Thanks for all the practical tips!

Your point #21 is a little bothersome to me. We are paying deluxe prices for this tour and we would be very unhappy stuck in a loft with no air! Have others that have been on Viva Italia had the same experience with the Artimino lodgings?

Also thanks for the tip about the pasta making day. We might check out other possibilites.

First, let me say the scenery in Artimino is gorgeous. You are on the top of a large hill looking down into the valley near Florence. The whole charm of this place is that it is meant to be rustic and that you are away from the big cities and staying in the middle of Tuscany.

But, with that said, it was still very warm in the rooms. I believe the daytime temperatures were in the 80's. The next morning after the first evening there was lots of input given to the guides and to the hotel staff about the room temperatures. The official response from the hotel, delivered by the guides was the following: "There are other guests who are complaining about their rooms being too cold. We suggest that you open your windows at night. The cooling unit is not turned until July or August." Our guide who was from Italy repeatedly explained to us how he had spent his entire life in Italy without ever having air conditioning.

My response was that I would be happy to switch rooms with a guest who had a room that was too cold. Folks from Florida were the most unhappy. One person did manage to get a fan due to their prolonged and consistent griping. In the end, we all survived and got to experience Tuscany.

Artimino was simply a case where there were pluses and minuses.

Was there much time for laundry? We would like to use the free time to see the sites, but we will also need to do laundry. We do plan on packing light.

Thank you VERY much for your information!! I hope you will do a trip report with more pictures. I would love to see how you enjoyed the trip!!

Check with your bank to see if they have an European affiliate, if they do you shouldn't be charged any ATM fees or a very minimal amount. Usually this information can be found on their website

I guess when you travelling abroad you need to get used to what the local culture is!If in Italy there's no the AC CULTURE like in many iother countries in Europe there's nothing we can do about it!
We are turist and we need to respect other countries cultures!!!
I was reading on the web that italian laws don't aloud A/C on till the first of june so even the Mouse can't do anything about it I guess....

Thank you so much for all of the great tips. I am planning to book this tour for the summer of 2009 as soon as it becomes available. I printed your list and I will put it with my planning info.
I realize it is almost a year away before I will need to worry purchasing tickets for the Uffizi Museum. Will ADB let me know months in advance that we will have free time b/w certain hours? Are they good with sticking to their intineraries?
Did anyone in your group visit Pompeii before the ADB tour? If so were they able to make it a day trip from Rome? (i.e. Is it possible to stay at the ADB hotel in Rome and find a tour that goes to Pompeii for the day?)
Thank you
Jennifer

Is there any 'free' time while at Artimino? I would love to visit San Gimignano which is only an hour directly south of Artimino.

Has anyone hired a cab and toured this town? Do the tour guides arrange the taxi for you?
To me this would be much more pleasurable than making pasta, which I'm sure is great fun but time is of the essence on a tour and I might as well spend it doing something I enjoy if possible.

I was on Viva Italia May 8 - 16. Maybe it was because it was early spring but we had no problems with the heat in Artimino. We also didn't have problems with mosquitos or allergies, but it could be the time of year. I was understanding that all the rooms were in the stables at the villa and the big house was meeting and reception rooms or at least thats what the website reads like. The whole idea of Artimino is rustic at we loved it. Also everyone seemed to really enjoy the pasta making and I heard no complaints about our time in Florence. We had no problems with pickpockets anywhere. I am sure they are there but you just need to be aware of your surroundings as in any big city. Everyone in our group seemed to totally enjoy our tour and our guides were great. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them.

I believe there is a fee for the ATM. But I don't remember the information being readily apparent.

Yes, there is time to do laundry. It only takes 90 minutes including walking time. The afternoon of your last evening in Rome you will have available time.

Thank you so much for all of the great tips. I am planning to book this tour for the summer of 2009 as soon as it becomes available. I printed your list and I will put it with my planning info.
I realize it is almost a year away before I will need to worry purchasing tickets for the Uffizi Museum. Will ADB let me know months in advance that we will have free time b/w certain hours? Are they good with sticking to their intineraries?
Did anyone in your group visit Pompeii before the ADB tour? If so were they able to make it a day trip from Rome? (i.e. Is it possible to stay at the ADB hotel in Rome and find a tour that goes to Pompeii for the day?)
Thank you
Jennifer

No, in my experience, ABD will NOT provide that type of detail for the itinerary. That was one of my motivations for sharing the tip. There were several disappointed people on our tour who didn't get to visit the Uffizi. Standing in line for same-day tickets really isn't an option. Getting a ticket between 13:00 and 13:30 works very well on the current tour.

Yes, the tour guides appear to be very good at sticking to a schedule. It doesn't appear to be a rigid timeline, but they do a great job of managing time and sticking to the plan. Of course, there is a possibility that the itinerary might change in the future.

In my opinion, there is a lot to do in Florence, and you have to make some hard choices. Our tour had 5 hours in Florence and you get an appetizer portion. My comments are not intended to be critical. I'm just trying to provide information in hopefully a factual way that will allow people to make the best decision for themselves.

Some folks will value a pasta making experience. Some folks will want to visit the Uffizi Museum. Other folks may want to do lots of shopping in the market places. Some folks will want to visit the Pitti Palace and it's various museums, Boboli gardens, climb the Bell Tower at the cathedral, etc. We only got to do about 1/3 of things that we desired to do in Florence.

Re: Pompeii
Yes, there are tours from Rome to Pompeii. I remember seeing some listed by Viator. We considered it, but in the end decided that the amount of time on the bus wasn't worth it and instead chose to do Ostia Antica on our own. I would much rather do a local site on my own where I'm not tied to a bus schedule. We were very pleased with the quality of Ostia Antica and the small crowds.

Is there any 'free' time while at Artimino? I would love to visit San Gimignano which is only an hour directly south of Artimino.

Has anyone hired a cab and toured this town? Do the tour guides arrange the taxi for you?
To me this would be much more pleasurable than making pasta, which I'm sure is great fun but time is of the essence on a tour and I might as well spend it doing something I enjoy if possible.

We had a few hours in the afternoon on the 2nd and 3rd day in Artimino. But, that isn't really enough time.

The staff at the hotel is very willing to assist in scheduling a taxi and will look up train schedules for you. They quoted me $30 Euro to get to the Signa (pronounced: seen-ya) train station, which is 6 km from Artimino and it has trains that run to Florence. Or it was $60 Euro to get to Florence. Basically you are paying the taxi to drive to Artimino, and then paying the taxi to drive you to your destination.

As you are suggesting, you would need to skip one of the events to free up enough time to visit San Gimignano which is about 70 km away.

There was a small group who was trying to work a deal with the tour bus driver to take them from Artimino to Pisa during pasta day. He seemed open to trying to work something out, but the timing just didn't work with the other requirements that he had. The initial price I heard was very reasonable.

I second the advice about the pasta making class. We just returned from the Rome-Tuscany-Venice trip and the pasta making class was a waste of time. There are much more interesting things to see in Italy, or just staying at the Artimino would have been a more relaxing option at that point with a tired child.

You can watch pasta making on Food Network and get as much out of it. Why they didn't have the class at the restaurant next door to the Artimino was beyond me - the castello was not worth nearly a full day's excursion up and down that hill in a bus.

Wow!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! It's VERY helpful and informative!

Who were your guides?

Even with mention of giant mosquitoes and killer bats, I'd still love to do this trip again!

Dotti

Our guides were Tina and Davide. Mara and Marco are new ABD employees and were observing. We thought the guides were excellent. Davide, Mara, and Marco were originally from Italy and we really enjoyed talking to them about the culture and growing up in Italy.

IMO, the ABD guides work very hard and don't get paid nearly enough. I marvel at their ability to make each trip seem fresh and new. In comparison to other day-tour guides we've had in Europe, the ABD guides are clearly superior.

We really enjoyed every aspect of ABD tour of Rome, Florence and Venice last May. We stayed at a very different resort, something named Borgo, but they have since changed the resort location. But, it was very, very rustic. At the time, we were kinda of disappointed in the accomodations there, but looking back now, it was all part of our Tuscany experience! We also enjoyed the pasta day - a very good meal was served after the class.

Anyway, our tour guides were Jamie (redhair girl from Michigan) and Marco (a very tall, thin, nice looking guide from Italy). Our tour bus driver was Mario from Rome, Italy. Are they still around on the ABD tours??? We really enjoyed them!

Can I ask about attire?

We are going to Italy in 2 weeks and have had several people tell us that we should not wear shorts (even below knee length) or sneakers.

Is this true?

About attire, people wore shorts all of the time...not just those on our tour. Although I will say that in Rome people seemed pretty well dressed. The one thing about shorts is that you are asked NOT to wear them in churches. Since the Vatican Day is definitely a church environment, most people didn't wear them that day. Other days (Orvieto, Florence, Venice arrival) there are opportunities to go into churches. If the knees aren't covered it is considered a bit disrespectful. My guys all wear pretty long shorts, so we did go into the church in Venice, but just looked into the others.

I think we had the same Marco you did MariaTia....tall and handsome! We had the other Marco along that was doing some training and will be starting guiding himself in a few trips. He is shorter and very outgoing, very easy to talk with.

Hi 3Pirates
I am packing this evening for our Tuesday Viva Italia departure. Do the churches in all of the cities on this tour allow open toe sandals? My walking sandals (Merrill's) are "extremely" open toes. The suggestion in the ABD book we received is (1) closed toe shoes and (2) walking shoes.
Thanks,
Jacquenette

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter