Viva Italia! 9/11-9/19 2008

redzinner

Me Wants the Medianoche!
We have discovered at least 2 couples via another thread in this discussion forum doing the Viva Italia tour on 9/11. Are there anymore out there? ABD said it's a full tour so who are you?

Grumpy-1, maybe ABD will have us going to the Bernini together since our flights are only an hour apart? We're flying in on Delta out of Atlanta. What airline are you using out of Philly?

I'm starting to think about the details now and getting more excited with each passing day. I usually try very hard not to build my expectations for a trip but like you we have talked this over for a long time and now it's finally happening! :yay:

We are flying in om Lufthansa. Our trip originates in Albany NY, flying to Philly on US Air. There we board Lufthansa for Frankfort , then on to Rome. I don't have any trouble sleeping on planes, so the long flying times should not bother me. My wife is a different story. She is planning on getting sleeping pills for the flight.

As the time draws near the excitement level goes up. I can't wait to go to the places where the Caesar's walked.

My husband and I are also on the 9/11 viva italia tour. We are taking a direct flight out of Philly Sept. 10 at 6pm.on USAir. Our return is also a direct flight from Venice . We live 40min. from the philly airport so it is convenient for us. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

My husband and I are also on the 9/11 viva italia tour. We are taking a direct flight out of Philly Sept. 10 at 6pm.on USAir. Our return is also a direct flight from Venice . We live 40min. from the philly airport so it is convenient for us. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

It's great to hear from another couple going on the tour. Our flight leaves Philly at 6:00 P.M. also, but on the 9th. We booked an extra day to try to get used to the time change. As I mentioned we are flying Lufthansa, so we stop in Frankfurt Germany for a 2 hour layover. We leave Venice at 10:30A.M. on the 19th .

Hi 1whooper,

Nice to cyber meet you!

We received a notice from Delta yesterday with flight changes. Fortunately it is on the last leg of our trip from Atlanta to Sarasota so it's no big deal!

See you in Rome on September 11!

Redzinneer,
We should be getting a package from ABD in the next few weeks , shouldn't we?

Redzinneer,
We should be getting a package from ABD in the next few weeks , shouldn't we?

Hi Fred,

Yes, I'm thinking around July 28 or so??!!??

I'm so bad, I've already started my non-clothing pack list. DH thinks I'm crazy;) until he wants something that I've conveniently packed!

Ciao!

Sally

Hi Fred,

Yes, I'm thinking around July 28 or so??!!??

I'm so bad, I've already started my non-clothing pack list. DH thinks I'm crazy;) until he wants something that I've conveniently packed!

Ciao!

Sally

LOL....I thought my wife Mary Ann was the only one doing that

Fred

I got mine today also. I wasn't expecting it so soon. The excitement builds

That is sooner than I thought based on what others have indicated.

Just got my messanger bags and booklet about our trip!!
Whooper

:eek: We didn't get ours! :confused3

But it has been raining so much down here the mailman probably needs an ark to deliver the mail!

Closer and Closer :cheer2:

Found our pre-packet ... it went to our travel agent, who is on holiday herself! So we probably won't get it for another week :rolleyes:

A small error on Disney's part since the TA did ask that the packet be sent to us directly instead of to her.

Oh well, I didn't think I'd see it until the 25th of the month and I just might be right! ;)

Grumpy-1, maybe ABD will have us going to the Bernini together since our flights are only an hour apart? We're flying in on Delta out of Atlanta. What airline are you using out of Philly?

Redzinner, I spoke to the people at ABD yesterday, and in the course of the discussion they reviewed my travel plans. They told me that because I booked the extra night at the Berninni, through them, we would be met at the airport, but not by a guide. It will be someone from the transportation company who will be meeting us. For that reason I think they might wait for us to arrive, since we get there less than an hour after you do

Redzinner, I spoke to the people at ABD yesterday, and in the course of the discussion they reviewed my travel plans. They told me that because I booked the extra night at the Berninni, through them, we would be met at the airport, but not by a guide. It will be someone from the transportation company who will be meeting us. For that reason I think they might wait for us to arrive, since we get there less than an hour after you do

Makes sense to me! Hope to see you then.

Did they happen to say what area of the airport we should look for someone holding our names? After Passport Inspection or by the baggage pick-up / exit?

Makes sense to me! Hope to see you then.

Did they happen to say what area of the airport we should look for someone holding our names? After Passport Inspection or by the baggage pick-up / exit?

I believe they said by the baggage pick up. I am looking into using my cell phone for calls while in Italy. Have you looked into anything like that?

I believe they said by the baggage pick up. I am looking into using my cell phone for calls while in Italy. Have you looked into anything like that?

My current cell phone does not have International capablities (not even a camera ;) ). It's ancient, like me, but it does what a phone needs to do, so up until now I've been satisfied with it. But with this trip on the horizon I've even looked at an iphone 3G so that I can get emails too, since I'm not taking my laptop with me. So yes, I've looked into it. We are also making different arrangements at the end of the trip in Venice. Instead of the airport we are staying an extra day then taking a high speed train to Zurich. No, Disney Guide to call :eek: ! So I'm definitely going to get something with International capabilities. Just don't know what yet.

From what OPs have mentioned I think it's a good idea to have a phone or buy phone cards. I don't know if the phone cards are valid through all of Europe or just for the country where you purchase the card.

From what OPs have mentioned I think it's a good idea to have a phone or buy phone cards. I don't know if the phone cards are valid through all of Europe or just for the country where you purchase the card.

I usually recommend a few different options to clients, depending on how much they want to spend and how many countries they'll be visiting. Also, a big consideration is if you'll be on the phone often (my sons w/girlfriends) or using the phone just for emergencies.

You can usually have your existing GSM phone unlocked, either by the phone company (if you're a long time customer) or by purchasing an unlock code online. However, unless your phone is a quad-band (working on all four frequencies), it may be useless overseas. Also, if your phone does not use a SIM card, it will also be useless.

Assuming you have an unlocked phone with a removeable SIM card, one of the options on this site may help: http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=MSIM-GR01

The SIM cards have the roaming charges built in, so you can keep the same number while traveling to multiple countries. There's a lot more yada yada to read, all on the site. :)

Most international SIM cards have free incoming calls. Just remember that anyone calling you is calling an international number, so it's not free for them!

Another option is to actually buy the international phone. I think the call prices on these phones are high, but if it's only for emergencies it's really not a bad deal at all: http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets-si.asp

Even the least expensive phone works well. Incoming calls are NOT free for these phones.

If you're only traveling to one country, you can often pick up an inexpensive phone or SIM card once there. I like the ones above because the number travels with you. I also like to have all that taken care of before I leave.

We've tried out both of the above options. I also use my Blackberry overseas. I used the phone infrequently this time but checked all of my emails (and downloaded attachments) and my bill was only $50.00 more than usual.

Hopefully this isn't way more than you needed to know!

Dotti

I have a Verizon cell phone, and I just checked with them. They will send me a global phone to use in Italy. It will have my same number, and there is no rental charge for this phone. It will also include a charger and an adapter to use in europe. All I have to pay $9.99 for the shipping fee, and $1.29 a minute for on air time. I thought that was pretty good, since I only plan on using it for emergencies.

Dotti,
Thanks so much for the info. I'll need to review the options and see which works best for us.

grumpy-1,
That's a very convenient and inexpensive deal from Verizon. I'll check with AT&T to see if they have a similar plan.

At&T rate is .99 cents p/minute. Then $5.99, (it might be $4.99) I believe, p/month - until all the calls come thru on your bill. Then you can have the $5.99 taken off. I opted for this plan while in Germany in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter