• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Viva Italia pre and post days

mwebsite

Mouseketeer
Despite the economy and falling prices, ABD is charging me over $600 a night for the pre night in Rome and over $500 for the post night in Venice. They refuse to adjust these rates, despite the fact I could get the rooms for hundreds cheaper online. But if I don't book through them, they won't pay for my airport transportation for 3 of us for either transfer. Is the hassle of arranging airport transportation worth the extra expense of them booking the days? The reason I'm taking a tour is to NOT have to make any arrangements. It does really seem like they are being unaccomodating regarding this issue, and giving any information about the number of current bookings for the tour.

Since the cancellations have started and people have been calling asking about how full a tour is the powers that be have made a decision on not giving out any of that information. Not that I agree with it but that is what they decided.

As to the prices of the hotels. They probably have contracts with those particular hotels and cannot adjust the prices because of the contracts. They are considered 5* resorts in Europe and are costly.

Are you finding better prices for the same hotels or at different hotels?

Transfers - I really didn't find the transfers to be a hassle in either Venice or Rome but then I again it was a vacation I put together myself before ABD ever came along

There are many companies out there that offer transfers in these cities. In Venice will you be flying home from the Venice airport? If you are you will be taking a water taxi to the Venice airport and that can be arranged by the hotel directly

In Rome on arrival you should make the reservations for transfers before you get there. There is a lot of information on the cruise boards under the cruise meets for the Med sailings in 2010

I can tell you from experience...transfer to/from the airport in Venice and to/from the Rome Fiumicino Airport is super easy. I think it costs us about 11 euros per person (in 2007) for the Alilaguna Boat in Venice and 10 euros per person to take the train from the Rome Termini station to the airport--and children under 12 were FREE (we walked to the Termini from our hotel, but pretty much ALL bus stops had a bus going to the Termini it seemed). The Venice airport is small and the boat transfer drops you off at the pier and you follow the signs lugging your baggage. It is about a 10 minute walk along the sidewalk from the pier to the terminal doors, but it is very easy to see what you are supposed to do. There are several pickup points throughout the Venice waterfront...your hotel can help you arrange it and will tell you which to go to. The WORST part is pulling your luggage along the bumpy stone streets of Venice...the less luggage you have, the better!!! Sooo...I say if you can save HUNDREDS by booking your pre- and post- stay hotel yourself, depending on how many are in your party needing a transfer, you are going to save quite a bit by booking yourself and paying for your own transfers. It would be worth it to me. But if you will save less than $100 dollars on each end to book on your own v. ABD, it might be worth the extra $50-$100 bucks on each end to just let ABD do all the worrying for you.

In Venice, we stayed at a lovely hotel called the Concordia Hotel right on St. Mark's Square (it was so close that I could actually see INSIDE St. Mark's basilica from the balcony of the room). I paid 110 Euros per night, booking it on hotels.com. I took a quick peek at their website and saw that their listed rate is 330 euros this summer, but who knows, you might could surf the travel sites like I did and stumble onto a gem of a hotel like I did for a great price. I don't remember the name of our hotel in Rome, but I do remember I paid 90 euros per night. I found it in Rick Steve's Rome book--clean and great location. Again these are all 2007 prices, but I think euros were costing about $1.37 US then.

Try this website for info about getting to/from Rome's airport: www.goeurope.about.com/od/rome/qt/rome_transport.htm.
Also, I believe I remember that it was about a 40 euro cab ride to or from the airport into Rome.

I really think you can do it on your own with little hassle in these two city's airports, and I am flabbergasted at those prices---egad!!:scared1:

We're not doing Rome but an Ireland ABD. The cost for a prenight stay for 5 people was $800 US (over $1000CAD for us canucks) + $1600 post-stay.

We booked our own hotel, a totally different one that had free airport transfers for 89 euros a night. We're going to relax at the hotel and then go back to the airport the next night (free) and have ABD pick us up from there.

This is saving me a huge amount of money!

Despite the economy and falling prices, ABD is charging me over $600 a night for the pre night in Rome and over $500 for the post night in Venice. They refuse to adjust these rates, despite the fact I could get the rooms for hundreds cheaper online. But if I don't book through them, they won't pay for my airport transportation for 3 of us for either transfer. Is the hassle of arranging airport transportation worth the extra expense of them booking the days? The reason I'm taking a tour is to NOT have to make any arrangements. It does really seem like they are being unaccomodating regarding this issue, and giving any information about the number of current bookings for the tour.

We were rebooked on the Viva Italia tour for August 10th and also found the cost for the post booking higher than what I could get on the internet. Since I had booked a pre-night for our original Storybook tour, they honored that cost for the pre-night in Rome. We are going with our two adult daughters and I booked their pre-night via the Internet. ABD agreed to take them to the hotel since they had canceled us from our original tour. My booking the pre-night in Rome saved us over $100. I was told that ABD contracted last year with these hotels and the rates that they quoted us were the rates they were being charged.

When we went to Venice last year, we were able to go via bus to the ship terminal. It was not hard and relatively inexpensive--a few Euros. Quite a difference from what they cruise lines were going to charge us for the transportation and it wasn't hard (and none of us speak Italian).

I am just wondering if anybody else is booked on the August 10th Viva Italia tour. Looking forward to it, but it will be more expensive than our original tour (more food that is out of pocket). However, we are all looking forward to is

Despite the pre and post night price being ridiculous, I went ahead and let Disney book everything. I wasn't sure in Venice I could get a room for 3, and didn't want to switch hotels. I don't believe for a minute that is the price Disney is being charged for these rooms from the hotels. But I started to feel that because I am spending thousands for the ease of group tour travel, I may as well spend another few hundred dollars and let them deal with transportation and reservations. It's probably what they were banking on. Breakfast was also included in the overnights, which should account for something. It does still bother me a bit that they weren't more accomodating, and I sure hope in the end I'll feel the entire tour was worth the amount we are spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter