Viva Italia ---Tours for this year have started

Cinci

Earning My Ears
I see that April 13 was the first tour for this year. Hope we start hearing from everyone once they start returning and get over the jet lag....... We want to hear every detail----good and bad reviews

Patty

Hi! We are leaving one week from today:dance3: I'm making lists like crazy and starting to set stuff out to pack.
I keep getting conflicting advice on whether or not to carry one's actual passport, or just a copy (leaving the original at the hotel). Can anyone weigh in on this? I would think it would be better to carry the original and have the copy as a backup.
Thanks

I'm so excited for you!!!!! I would think YOUR idea carrying the original is the right way to do it and just have a copy for back up. That is what we plan to do. I would think if you get stopped for questioning, etc., it is best to have the original with you. Who knows, maybe it doesn't really matter. Have a travel agent to ask?

Patty

Thanks Patty! I'll be sure to give you lots of feedback on the trip when we get back.
I did indeed ask our Travel Agent and not only did she recommend carrying the passport copies, she also recommended putting all our meds in pill sorters. Evidently it is a real no-no to carry meds in anything but the original containers so I'm also a bit doubtful about her passport copy advice. I've seen "Midnight Express" and don't want any of us to end up in a foreign prison! :scared: :)

It's always good advice to have a copy of your passport with you somewhere when you're out of the country. We usually keep copies in our luggage for emergencies. When out and about, I always carry my original passport in a waist belt under my shirt.

When we went on Viva Italia last June 2007, I don't remember turning our passports over to the hotels when we checked in. In fact, I don't remember ever not having it with me. ABD has your passport numbers in advance, and I believe they give that information to the hotels so you don't have to turn it in, even at check in.

The only time we needed it at all was entering and leaving the country. In fact we had to ask to have it stamped or they wouldn't have done that.

Hey,,,,,,,,, how about asking the ABD customer service reps on line or calling them?

If you are still in prison when we get there in September we'll post bail, or better yet, your Travel Agent should post bail.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute of your trip.

Patty........

Hey, we also leave in one week, see you in Rome Cydlei.:yay: I am also running around trying to get all my last minute stuff done as I actually leave Saturday to fly to Newark for a few days. My question is about the baggage handle they sent us. Did you put it on before you left or when you picked up your luggage in Rome. I have this picture of baggage handlers ripping the velcro off when tossing my bag. Will let everyone know how the trip goes when we get back.

My question is about the baggage handle they sent us. Did you put it on before you left or when you picked up your luggage in Rome. I have this picture of baggage handlers ripping the velcro off when tossing my bag. Will let everyone know how the trip goes when we get back.

Before I left. Those things are way more durable than they look. I put mine on last June and it's lasted through six trips, including the Disney cruise I just did last weekend.

And you know what they say about reality... sigh... I'm missing Castaway Cay!

As much as the velcro has held up, I'm not so sure about the suitcase. My husband bought a bottle of vodka in Nassau and I didn't pack it well. We got to Miami (to visit out UMiami son) and found that our clothes were soaked in alcohol. Yuk. I got dizzy every time I went into the bathroom where they were all hanging to dry.

Bringing this back to Viva Italia, make sure to put the Limoncello in a place where the glass bottles won't shatter!

Dotti

Dotti,
I read somewhere that you can ship your wine, olive oil, glass souveniers, etc. back? Is that an economical option ?
Patty

Shipping wine is very expensive from Europe. I was on the Viva Italia tour last year and one family did ship a box of wine back. It was real expensive shipping cost wise . I just took 2 bottles home with me in the suitcase. I did have ceramics shipped back and a Pinocle marionette also. The marionette was worth the cost of the shipping.It was real expensive and i did not want to risk getting it damaged . Both the ceramics and the marionete arrived home safely without any scratches or broken.

Dotti,
I read somewhere that you can ship your wine, olive oil, glass souveniers, etc. back? Is that an economical option ?
Patty

I agree with Disneytraveler -- it was very expensive to ship anything back, so we opted not to. We actually bought our Limoncello at the airport duty free shop in Rome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter