Volcanic Ash Over Iceland Cancels Flights!!!

i've already posted this in other threads, but i'll post it here too, just in case:

be sure to hold on to all of your receipts...
there was an expert on the BBC or Sky this morning (i was flipping back and forth between the two)....
he said the airlines are responsible for reasonable food expenses and possibly also hotel expenses and that everyone should hold onto all of their receipts to try to get it back later...

They are responsible, but still may not be able to pay - this will cost them millions -more if the eruptions continue. They are not insured against natural disasters either.... we may see a few airlines go bust - or will the government step in and spend out to save them??? It still doesn't help those who went all out to go away and need to get back for work/kids/pets/hospital appointments etc..

I really feel for those who are stuck - I'm not sure how I'd cope with the thought of not getting home.

Airspace closure extended until 1am monday morning!!

I wish I had a crystal ball and could see when this whole mess is going to end!!

I seem to be stuck to the computer searching for a glimmer of hope!

i think if it were me, i would have tried to get on one of the cruise ships that are heading for europe this week (repositioning)...
even though it would take 14 days and cost 5 arms and 5 legs....i hate the uncertainty of the air situation....plus i'm so afraind of flying to begin with, i'd use any excuse to go by water ..

the magic left on april 10th, but there are others leaving this week... not to mention, the QM2, which only takes 7 days to cross, but doesn't have an eastbound scheduled until april 29th....

Like everyone else I have been watching this unfold and feel so helpless.

Can't imagine what it is like for folk who are having to deal with holiday reps who just do not know when the problem of flying will end.

According to experts this could last for months :scared1:

Isn't it great how insurance companies can escape paying out for strikes, act of nature etc. Makes you wonder what you really are covered for :confused3

Like everyone else I have been watching this unfold and feel so helpless.

Can't imagine what it is like for folk who are having to deal with holiday reps who just do not know when the problem of flying will end.

According to experts this could last for months :scared1:

Isn't it great how insurance companies can escape paying out for strikes, act of nature etc. Makes you wonder what you really are covered for :confused3

yes, i remember reading the fine print on the insurance for our cruise and when i was done i looked at DH and said, "so what the heck are we covered for???????"

actually, i used slightly different wording ;)

At the moment, southern Spanish airports (including Barcelona) are still open for flights into and out of Europe. Northern Spain (and everything north of there - France, UK, etc) is closed. Of course it might then be a long road journey from there.

Andre

Quote "DCL won't :sad2: For the Med cruises they will not charge for the excursions but you can't get your money back or re-book :sad2: "quote

Did you have this info directly from DCL ???? It is very disappointing to know that ! Pixiedust to those flying from US to Barcelona for the first Med cruise !

you mean that if you don't go on the med cruise because you can't get to barcelona, they won't refund your money?
would the cruise insurance cover you in that case?

Hi sorry for the lack of info earlier, someone of the April 24th Med cruise had said this.

Here is a post from someone who talked to DCL more recently

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36300448&postcount=2434

We're cluthching at straws to know what to do, when to try and book a ferry - should we leave it until the day before or earlier? I feel so bad for people stuck abroad, you can't plan for 4 days of dealys let alone an unkown amount of time :sad2:

Surely the test planes will give some hint as to whether planes can fly :confused3

So very frustrating for everyone :grouphug:

Hi sorry for the lack of info earlier, someone of the April 24th Med cruise had said this.

Here is a post from someone who talked to DCL more recently

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36300448&postcount=2434

We're cluthching at straws to know what to do, when to try and book a ferry - should we leave it until the day before or earlier? I feel so bad for people stuck abroad, you can't plan for 4 days of dealys let alone an unkown amount of time :sad2:

Surely the test planes will give some hint as to whether planes can fly :confused3

So very frustrating for everyone :grouphug:

i'm such a worrier, i'd probably already have gotten myself to barcelona for the med cruise :eek:
but seriously....it's on the 24th? so saturday.....let's see....i guess i would already get myself there on thursday....whatever way lets me get there....

for cruises out of port canaveral, we arrive about 3 days early, because i'm always so worried about encountering either bad weather or an airport/airline strike along the way....so for a thursday cruise, we'll arrive in the US on a monday....i know...that's totally wacko...but definitely a day in advance is prudent....
can you book the ferry in advance? and then cancel it if the flight comes open?

Just read on Sky News that KLM are sending up a test plane to 30,000 feet over Dutch airspace to test the effect of the dust, lets hope there is a positive outcome to get those who are stranded back to their homes :)
Luthansa , KLM ( both requested by the EU) and Ukraine Airlines have sent test flights at operational levels to analyse the impact of the volcanic ash and the results are encouraging, initial results found nothing negative to the extent that Ukraine airlines were due to restart flight services today and KLM were making a decision today. The UK intends to do tests today. So hopefully the results may override the continuing Ash emissions:thumbsup2

i'm such a worrier, i'd probably already have gotten myself to barcelona for the med cruise :eek:
but seriously....it's on the 24th? so saturday.....let's see....i guess i would already get myself there on thursday....whatever way lets me get there....

for cruises out of port canaveral, we arrive about 3 days early, because i'm always so worried about encountering either bad weather or an airport/airline strike along the way....so for a thursday cruise, we'll arrive in the US on a monday....i know...that's totally wacko...but definitely a day in advance is prudent....
can you book the ferry in advance? and then cancel it if the flight comes open?

Well for crossing the Atlantic that is prudent, but you'd think a 2 hour flight to Europe would be no problem :laughing: When we booked time off work we looked at going Friday but the extra expense of a hotel in Barcelona put us off!

Most ferries are not allowing foot passengers, both to France and Spain (we looked at going to Calais but the connections from there are not great plus that is the main place everyone will go) we have an option of travelling to Portsmouth to get a ferry but trains in the UK are £70 from my Dad's in Stevenage, even more from Northampton where we live (ideally we want to get to Stevenage for the return flight - if we can fly home :laughing:). It's a waiting game but we need to book fairly early to get a space :confused3 The ferry did show a cancellation cost of £5 or so but would they let you cancel with the knowledge of the flight disruptions?

We're looking at all sorts of options, train, ferry, bus, hire car it's very complicated :sad2:

Luthansa , KLM ( both requested by the EU) and Ukraine Airlines have sent test flights at operational levels to analyse the impact of the volcanic ash and the results are encouraging, initial results found nothing negative to the extent that Ukraine airlines were due to restart flight services today and KLM were making a decision today. The UK intends to do tests today. So hopefully the results may override the continuing Ash emissions:thumbsup2

I am kind of counting on this - suprised they do not have a 'safe level of particulates' that planes can cope with. It seems as though volcanoes have affected flights before and you'd think they would have tested this earlier.

Well for crossing the Atlantic that is prudent, but you'd think a 2 hour flight to Europe would be no problem :laughing: When we booked time off work we looked at going Friday but the extra expense of a hotel in Barcelona put us off!

Most ferries are not allowing foot passengers, both to France and Spain (we looked at going to Calais but the connections from there are not great plus that is the main place everyone will go) we have an option of travelling to Portsmouth to get a ferry but trains in the UK are £70 from my Dad's in Stevenage, even more from Northampton where we live (ideally we want to get to Stevenage for the return flight - if we can fly home :laughing:). It's a waiting game but we need to book fairly early to get a space :confused3 The ferry did show a cancellation cost of £5 or so but would they let you cancel with the knowledge of the flight disruptions?

We're looking at all sorts of options, train, ferry, bus, hire car it's very complicated :sad2:

I am kind of counting on this - suprised they do not have a 'safe level of particulates' that planes can cope with. It seems as though volcanoes have affected flights before and you'd think they would have tested this earlier.

what a nightmare!!
ok...so....
since i guess you can't cancel the cruise, you're going to have to get yourself to barcelona one way or the other (do you swim?...sorry...couldn't resist)..

what is the cheapest way to get there?
you know, you'd think the authorities would give discounts on the trains/buses right now....when people are stuck trying to get places by workaround...

if they open the skies again, will you be guaranteed a seat on the plane to barcelona? since they keep saying that it will take a few days to a few weeks to get back to normal?

if it were me, i would already make the ferry reservation to be sure i had that part of it....since in the worst case scenario, you could get to the ferry by car if you had to...no?....so i think i would make the ferry reservation just to know that i had that part of it...since there's no other way to get across....well...i suppose you could go under the channel by train or car, right?...
but that would be more expensive woudln't it?

you have to write down all the possibilities and price them out and put the times ...especially if you have to arrive at a particular time to make it for a train or ferry and then to continue on on the other side..

nightmare..

i was due to travel to hong kong then on to australia yesterday.

the whole trip has been cancelled as this ash isn't going anywhere soon.

Hong Kong disney will have to wait.

i don't want to be all doom and gloom but this ash isn't going anywhere for at least a week. I don't think Nats will cave into pressure from KLM and the other test airlines.

Hi
My mum was due to fly back from Alicante today with Ryanair but I have just moved her to another flight. The earliest flight I could move her to with Ryanair is on Tuesday 27th April. :confused3

i don't want to be all doom and gloom but this ash isn't going anywhere for at least a week. I don't think Nats will cave into pressure from KLM and the other test airlines.

As stated earlier it was the European Union that asked both airlines to carry out the tests and further action to alleviate the problem would then be taken dependant on the rsults

what a nightmare!!
ok...so....
since i guess you can't cancel the cruise, you're going to have to get yourself to barcelona one way or the other (do you swim?...sorry...couldn't resist)..

what is the cheapest way to get there?
you know, you'd think the authorities would give discounts on the trains/buses right now....when people are stuck trying to get places by workaround...

if they open the skies again, will you be guaranteed a seat on the plane to barcelona? since they keep saying that it will take a few days to a few weeks to get back to normal?

if it were me, i would already make the ferry reservation to be sure i had that part of it....since in the worst case scenario, you could get to the ferry by car if you had to...no?....so i think i would make the ferry reservation just to know that i had that part of it...since there's no other way to get across....well...i suppose you could go under the channel by train or car, right?...
but that would be more expensive woudln't it?

you have to write down all the possibilities and price them out and put the times ...especially if you have to arrive at a particular time to make it for a train or ferry and then to continue on on the other side..

nightmare..

Eurostar have refundable tickets for Friday - can get to London ok from Stevenage. The refundable tix cost more but if we can fly at least we're not out £300 odd. Don't really want to leave the car anywhere in case it's ok flyng home :confused3

I agree even if it's ok to fly mid-week will we have priority or will it be people booked to fly out earlier? I'm almost prepared to forget about flying - don't want to leave it til the last minute and find we can't get on an early flight and then we get to Barcelona too late!

We've gradually been looking at different options, Eurostar to Paris then overnight train from Paris to Barcelona seems like the best option. But do we book a return journey :lmao: Not sure how much info we'll have while away - text message from family back home, wi-fi in McDonalds abroad, will DCL help advise it's customers?

i was due to travel to hong kong then on to australia yesterday.

the whole trip has been cancelled as this ash isn't going anywhere soon.

Hong Kong disney will have to wait.

:hug: so sorry you can't go. I hope you can re-schedule for a later date.

and what if the second volcano goes :eek:

I know, this one erupting at the minute is only a little one :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter