Volcano Bay Cabanas

Pete Bellini

PeteB2005
I called to reserve a cabana for the day at Volcano Bay for our trip upcoming next month. We need a single cabana which prices are shown as "starting at 199.99" - For Tuesday, June 25, 2019 the price was $598 (that includes tax), but that is basically $550 base price. I asked how much the weekend was and they said the same amount as it is high season. I get the high season comment, but these are Castaway Cay/Disney Cruise prices - she said that they will fill at those prices - Look, I have waaaaay overpaid for things in life- whether it be an overpriced martini, hotel room, meal on the LV strip and of course a Disney Cruise in June. But i just found this to be so out of line with what is otherwise fair and affordable at Universal.

i asked if they had not made a mistake and that was the price for a family cabana that accomodates 16 - Nope - those are almost $900. the $598 is for a maximum of 6 people, so that is for one family.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? We were there the same week last year and it was somewhat crowded as the day wore on on the Tuesday, but the cabanas were empty and lines were not bad, even at the signature attractions.

Disappointing.

My guess is supply vs. demand. There are a limited number of cabanas for rent each day and enough folks willing to pay the higher prices for those cabanas. I can say that last year we did rent cabanas for a couple of our days at VB (both single family, but one ground level and one upper). And while we didn't go during high-season, it wasn't the cheapest season either. But both days, there was a sign saying that there were no more available cabanas for rent. So I take that to mean they really are selling them out with their current pricing scheme.

The scary part is if they really are selling them out with current pricing, they may well be looking to increase the prices (again its that pesky supply/demand thing.) Note I'm not saying they will increase as I have no inside knowledge, but I would not be surprised given how well they seem to be renting out under the current pricing.

BTW, if you do decide to rent a cabana, the extra cost for an upper level cabana is worth it (better views and nice breezes). And I would recommend asking for one of the cabanas in the middle of the park (rather than the ones in the sand and along the outer-edges of the park.)

Yeah, that is crazy!! For a weekday and for a cabana for 6. I get supply and demand but it doesn't make it seem less crazy... o_O

We just got back and paid $450 for a cabana. I would estimate half were empty. It was really hot here this week so glad we did it but the price is up there for sure.

It is a high cost but I do not scrimp on things that add value to my vacation. I would rather cut back on things at home. Cheaper meals maybe, skip the movies, make my coffee at home, make my own pizza (I have gotten pretty good), shopping with coupons, cutting the overall grocery bill.

Those things are every day, but when vacation comes, I am going to enjoy myself. Now that being said, I try not to do things on vacation I can do at home and that includes shopping unless there is something I just really want and the only place to get it is in the parks. Very rare.

Im not sure how people afford it, first they stay at Hard rock for a week they had in park to park and cabanas. not to mention Harry potter robes and such. I could find a lot of ways to spend 25,000 on a weeks vacation and it wouldn't be in Orlando.... We spend a small fortune already and we are staying in modest hotels and splurging to stay in a Lowes hotel for one or two nights.
The cabanas look really nice if I were with a group we could share it and it wouldn't be so bad... but we dont spend enough time at our chairs. But I might if I had AC and a private tapu . But really you could look at it like everything you do in Orlando, another 100 a person per activity doesnt seem so bad if you break it down.

Im not sure how people afford it, first they stay at Hard rock for a week they had in park to park and cabanas. not to mention Harry potter robes and such. I could find a lot of ways to spend 25,000 on a weeks vacation and it wouldn't be in Orlando.... We spend a small fortune already and we are staying in modest hotels and splurging to stay in a Lowes hotel for one or two nights.
The cabanas look really nice if I were with a group we could share it and it wouldn't be so bad... but we dont spend enough time at our chairs. But I might if I had AC and a private tapu . But really you could look at it like everything you do in Orlando, another 100 a person per activity doesnt seem so bad if you break it down.
People have money to burn... the economy has been doing well last few years (despite recent hits). But fact is, if you have money to go to Universal/Disney/Etc, you are in the upper 2% of the world.. no matter how much you spend, or how long you had to save for that vacation. Just some people in that 2% have a lot more to spend (or go in to debt) than the rest of us. But I know i'm in a better boat than a lot of people who never even go to Orlando their whole lives.

Cabanas are all the rage lately it seems... see frequent posts about them. But we rarely even sit down at a water park except to eat... there to enjoy the activities paid to access .. if wanted to lounge around can do that at our neighborhood pool (but no cabanas there).

It is supply and demand! Granted $500 for a place to call homebase for a day at the parks may seem steep. I look at it like this if it were my family (wife, teen and me) then it is not worth is as we are always on the go. But bring the MIL along then the cabana works as she would not go on as many rides and would want a place to relax. Or if you are a large family maybe 3+ kids who are older and may want to separate it is a good place to meet up at certain times.
It is all perspective.

As a local I prefer to do the morning when it’s cool at the parks and Volcano Bay in the afternoon when it’s hot. After 2pm they sell any available cabanas for 1/2 price. They will let you know over the phone availability before you arrive. When I valet at Citywalk at 1pm I am usually arriving at my cabanas at 2 and you still have 6 hours which is frankly more than enough time at Volcano Bay.

btr2trvl...I mentioned this the Volcano Bay Customer Service and they said that this isn't true...that you can get a cabana after 2pm for a discounted price. Love to know more and how dis it really work to get the cabana at that time.

As others have said, it's just dependent on how your family rolls. We're spending an exorbitant amount of money on our hotel room for our upcoming June trip. Why? B/c DH's biggest complaint last year was that the hotel rooms are "tiny" well yeah, you're in tourist mecca and the more people they can pack in the more money they make. So, we're upgrading to the 2 bedroom suite at Cabana Bay, blowing our hotel budget out of the water. Money we could spend on other things? Yes. Do I think it's necessary? nope. Do I like being married to my DH who does think it's necessary? yes. Therefore, we're getting the expensive hotel room as it's "worth it" to him.

Supply and demand, and what's worth the cost to one person may not be worth the cost to you. FTR, I agree the cost of a cabana is insane. We can get chairs under an umbrella and be happy. If we had a larger party or younger kids I can see that need changing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter