Volcano Bay vs Disney Water Parks

cdnSpinalTap

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Through various ticket deals, we find ourselves with access to both Volcano Bay and the Disney water parks during an upcoming trip in August. Assuming all parks are open at that time (not sure of refurbs) and we only want to spend one day in a water park, which would you recommend?

I was leaning toward Volcano Bay, but oddly it gets the lowest reviews. We also want a cabana or similar at whichever park we visit.

ETA: We are a family of 5. The kids are 19, 16 and 12.

Last edited:
I love Volcano Bay! It's a Disney water park on steroids. The Fearless River is crazy fun. The slides that drop you from either 4ft or 6ft into the water. omg, love it all. So if you want more excitement VB if you want a lazier day then TL.

Haven't been to either of the WDW Water Parks but spent a day at Volcano Bay back in October and we absolutely loved it. We booked one of the big cabanas and loved it. I would call about pricing on the cabanas sooner rather than later as I found the prices only increased the closer you got to your dates, if that's the decision you make.

We love Typhoon Lagoon because of the laid-back tropical vibe. This time we are going with our 3yo son and our family members want to check out Volcano Bay. Is there anything for toddlers/pre-schoolers there?

We love Typhoon Lagoon because of the laid-back tropical vibe. This time we are going with our 3yo son and our family members want to check out Volcano Bay. Is there anything for toddlers/pre-schoolers there?
Yes, there is a toddler play area.
I didn't look at it very close as we are well beyond the toddler stage, but it looked pretty cool.

Huge waterpark fans here. Been to all three several times. BB and TL are very good. VB is next level.

Plus it has the virtual queue (Tapu Tapu) which, although it seems confusing for some, I think is brilliant.

Keep in mind if you're staying on site VB (normally) opens a half-hour early. That's the way to ride the water coaster for sure. Although if you're there the latter half of August, when crowds take a dive (see what I did there) it can be pretty quiet, especially in the morning.

As to lazy rivers, again they are all good, but we are partial to VB's. It's long, and has some cool features, like going under the volcano.

VB also has the "Fearless River", which is basically a lazy river layout but very fast-paced. Not scary or anything, but it definitely has a current.

I love Typhoon Lagoon and Volcano Bay equally. To me there are no cons, just some differences.
For example while I love the wave pool at both, Typhoon imho is better (and it’s bigger!) and while I’ve never had an issue with food at TL, the Volcano Bay food I find to have more variety and better.
Both provide a great deal of fun.

Highly recommend cabanas or priority seating for both

Strictly looking at the lazy rivers...

For all of you have been to TL/BB and VB, and taking the big slides etc out of the equation, which lazy river is best? @Mr. Drauer @emmabelle @spewey @saskdw and anyone else
I would say the lazy rivers are all equally enjoyable, but my wife really loves the one at VB.
She never requested going to BB or TL during our Disney trips, but loves VB. It's a must do.

As stated above VB also has the Fearless river which is lazy river on steriods.

as others have said - the lazy rivers are all great. The one at BB is longer than Typhoon. Both of Disney's have waterfalls that are difficult to avoid. VB does go under the Volcano which has cool lighting effects. But the Fearless RIver is better than them all -

We have been to all 3 and loved them all. Ranked for me:
Typhoon Lagoon
VB
Blizzard Beach
Ranked for my teens is VB all the way!
We have only done a cabana at Typhoon Lagoon and thought it was worth every penny (and there was a lot of them). At VB they wanted over $300 on a Thursday morning in off season when it was empty so we opted for shaded seats (and there was a ton). Also my kids were teens at this point so no naps (except for me) or quiet time needed.

I went to Volcano Bay for the first time ever this weekend and I gotta say, it's going to take A LOT to get me to go back to a Disney water park. It's better in almost every way. I like the theming of Typhoon more but Volcano Bay has significantly better slides. Krakatau alone is better than any slide at a Disney water park. The fearless river is awesome and one of my favorite things in the park. I didn't buy a cabana but didn't have any issues finding a shaded place to sit.

I would say the lazy rivers are all equally enjoyable, but my wife really loves the one at VB.
She never requested going to BB or TL during our Disney trips, but loves VB. It's a must do.

As stated above VB also has the Fearless river which is lazy river on steriods.
Good to know! Hubby and I are going for our first time and trying to decide Disney or Universal's water park....think it's gonna come down to the best lazy river! 😁

I love Typhoon Lagoon and Volcano Bay equally. To me there are no cons, just some differences.
For example while I love the wave pool at both, Typhoon imho is better (and it’s bigger!) and while I’ve never had an issue with food at TL, the Volcano Bay food I find to have more variety and better.
Both provide a great deal of fun.

Highly recommend cabanas or priority seating for both
Nothing beats TL wave pool. I feel VB and BB wave pool are similar.

as others have said - the lazy rivers are all great. The one at BB is longer than Typhoon. Both of Disney's have waterfalls that are difficult to avoid. VB does go under the Volcano which has cool lighting effects. But the Fearless RIver is better than them all -
I never noticed BB river is longer! And I’ve been to both many times! I am partial to TL theming over BB but the ski lift is so fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter