Waiting in Lines/ GAC

mlwear

DIS Veteran
Can I get some clarification please? DS is autistic and has sensory issues along with extreme hyperactivity (I mean, EXTREME). Of course, any rides that offer it we will use Fast Pass. For rides that don't, I have read allowance to stand in the shade or alternate entrance, but still wait the same amount of time. Do you have to stay right there? Can you walk around (my son --run around) and come back to see if it is your turn? Is that too much to ask CM's to keep track of? There will be times that DS will need to sit in shade, but he cannot sit still for a long time. What if other two family members sat and waited? OR this just dawned on me, with our family of four, will the other two family members get in the line and wait and when they come up for a turn, the other two will know it is their turn, also? I guess this would be hard for some rides, esp. to sit together? Just wondering how the line waiting works? Our doctor's note will say that DS cannot wait in lines with crowds due to sensory issues and cannot wait for long periods (which sitting in the shade would be, I am guessing) for long times. I don't think we should be able to hop from ride to ride without waiting, that is not what I am suggesting. Just wondering if while he waits for his turn, if he can do something else? (No, not hop on another ride :rotfl: --like walk around and look at things or get a drink) Would CM be able to give an approx. wait time, like "it is going to be at least 20 minutes"
Also, how do you show the CM your GAC in the beginning? Is this when you go to the alternate entrance? Please excuse my ignorance. But, would rather show it here than there. :cool1:

Each attraction works a little different and even the same attraction might work a little different depending on how busy it is. If the standby line is 15 minutes or less, you probably won't need to use your GAC because the wait will be short. You do show the GAC to the CM at the ride entrance and they will tell you how to proceed.
I don't want to get into too much of HOW because I've been told people who don't have disabilities are using information to get GACs.
But, just say, he won't be expected in most cases to wait in one place where he can't move around at all.
You can PM me and I'll give more details.

SueM answered very well already, but I definitely wanted to add that different rides have the wait set up differently. There will definitely be a few rides where there won't be anything nearby for him to go and do or see. If you want, PM me and I can give you a couple of examples.

Beth

Will he be able to sit still during the rides? Some of them are rather long (or they just might seem so to me), like It's a Small World, the boat ride through the Mexico Pavillion, the Jouney Into Your Imagination ride, etc.

Schmeck said:
Will he be able to sit still during the rides? Some of them are rather long (or they just might seem so to me), like It's a Small World, the boat ride through the Mexico Pavillion, the Jouney Into Your Imagination ride, etc.
That is a good thing to keep in mind. I'll have to check out how long these are. If I am next to him, I'm sure I can keep him in his seat. A lot will depend on HIM. A lot of moms I'm sure are like me and after years of this can judge pretty darn quick when things aren't just right. Does anyone know if these rides have seat straps? I think if it is something that he will enjoy then he'll be OK, if not we shouldn't be on there anyway. Maybe DH and older bro can try them out prior.

Regarding ride length, I guess it all depends on the child and the particular circumstances. As I stated in my pm to you, DD has similar issues to your child but had no difficulty with longer rides times. She was just so xcited about seeing everything for the first time, that she never considered moving around/trying to get out during the ride. Perhaps you could take something on the longer rides to possibly amuse him if he is not interested in staying seated. I'm not sure what but maybe a small snack, bubbles to blow, a small toy, favourite blanket, picture book.
maybe others wil have some suggestions?
Also the CM at the attraction will be able to tell you how long the ride it.
Suzy V.

I'm very curious about this as well. As I've posted before, my 33 year old husband has muscular dystrophy and is in an electric wheelchair. I've head this is not a problem as most lines are able to accomodate his chair. There is one problem that I'm not sure how we will handle. Due to lack of muscle control (your bladder and bowels are muscles too) my DH gets sudden run/wheel to the restroom attacks that will not wait if you know what I mean. Since I have to assist him in the restroom and our 4 kids 8, 7, 7, and 3 are way to young to stand in line by themselves while we run for a toilet, I wonder if there is a way to have them hold your place in line when this happens. I would hate to get halfway or even to the end of the line and have to start all over again. Of course this could feasibly happen on a ride. Hopefully he would be able to hang on!

Biscuitsmom31 said:
I'm very curious about this as well. As I've posted before, my 33 year old husband has muscular dystrophy and is in an electric wheelchair. I've head this is not a problem as most lines are able to accomodate his chair. There is one problem that I'm not sure how we will handle. Due to lack of muscle control (your bladder and bowels are muscles too) my DH gets sudden run/wheel to the restroom attacks that will not wait if you know what I mean. Since I have to assist him in the restroom and our 4 kids 8, 7, 7, and 3 are way to young to stand in line by themselves while we run for a toilet, I wonder if there is a way to have them hold your place in line when this happens. I would hate to get halfway or even to the end of the line and have to start all over again. Of course this could feasibly happen on a ride. Hopefully he would be able to hang on!
You should go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your husband's needs to the CM (just how you eplained it here is good). A Guest Assistance Card would be helpful in your situation. You can also get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park at Guest Services.
There is a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread to get the text of the guidebooks from the official DIsney site.

The only rides that have seat belts are the thrill type rides where they absolutely need you to say seated.
Interestingly, no one has ever really posted about difficulty in keeping their children with special needs seated. It must be the "excitement factor" that Suzy mentioned *or maybe it's pixie dust. :wizard:

They used to have the ride length listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. I don't know why they stopped doing that because it was helpful. I do have some old Guidebooks and can look up an approximate length for you on any of the ride/attractions that are old enough to be in it.

I was only mentioning the ride situation because I did witness one incident at PoC, when the boats were backed up and stopped near the end of the ride. One little boy thought it meant that it was time to get off. First, he almost got out of the boat, luckily the adult with him grabbed him as he was standing up. But then he got really frustrated as we sat there (about 3-4 minutes - I was getting sick of the ride by then too!) and was hard to console. I think the repetitive sounds and motions really bothered him.

I also worked for a year with a little (well, he was actually pretty large, but very young) boy who I would have described in a similar way as your son's description. It was very hard for him to sit through any program at school, even puppet shows and music presentations. We developed a series of activities to soothe/distract him. Lots of finger games, and we always let him bring a quiet toy. I've always wondered if he would be able to handle WDW.

Schmeck said:
I was only mentioning the ride situation because I did witness one incident at PoC, when the boats were backed up and stopped near the end of the ride. One little boy thought it meant that it was time to get off. First, he almost got out of the boat, luckily the adult with him grabbed him as he was standing up. But then he got really frustrated as we sat there (about 3-4 minutes - I was getting sick of the ride by then too!) and was hard to console. I think the repetitive sounds and motions really bothered him.

I also worked for a year with a little (well, he was actually pretty large, but very young) boy who I would have described in a similar way as your son's description. It was very hard for him to sit through any program at school, even puppet shows and music presentations. We developed a series of activities to soothe/distract him. Lots of finger games, and we always let him bring a quiet toy. I've always wondered if he would be able to handle WDW.

I completly understood where you were coming from. We do have "a bag of tricks" I think we'll learn a lot this upcoming trip. All and all I think things will be fine. Our family is used to doing this differently. Just need to keep the expectations in check. If DS can't handle many of the rides for whatever reasons, there will be other things to do. He loves water and could swim all day. He used to be terrible in stores, but now he loves to shop in his own way. His favorite store at the mall is the Disney store and he can stay there for what seems like hours, so that's an option.

I think I'm going to have to do a lot of pre-planning, but it will all work out in the end.

Schmeck said:

I think it is good to consider and actually, I'm surprised more people haven't posted incidents like you described.

Schmeck said:
I was only mentioning the ride situation because I did witness one incident at PoC, when the boats were backed up and stopped near the end of the ride. One little boy thought it meant that it was time to get off. First, he almost got out of the boat, luckily the adult with him grabbed him as he was standing up.

My concern is the opposite - when my son won't get off and it takes extra time to pry him out. On some rides,they need to get the car re-loaded and out before the next one comes in. I know they can stop the ride, but...... (I'm thinking BTMRR, SM, etc.)

LisaB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter