Walk to DL from Disneyland Hotel?

frndshpcptn

<font color=blue>Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our ve
Hi,

sorry if this is a dumb question - but I have never been to Disneyland and am having trouble telling this from maps.

We are planning to go in August and have an 18-month old baby with us. We want to easily get from the hotel to the parks and back again. Can yu easily walk from the Disneyland Hotel to the parks and back for mid-afternoon naps?

Thanks!
Joslyn

Oh definatly. Go out of the parks and hang a right. And don't stop until you are at the hotel. It is about a 10 minute stroll or a 5 minute walk. We usually do this instead of riding the monorail so we can get a locker first thing in the am.

frndshpcptn said:
Thanks!!!!

We are trying to decide between the GC and the Disneyland Hotel. This helps!

I know there is a huge price difference but I will say that the GCH is quite a bit closer to the park entrances than the Disneyland hotel. Also if you have park hoppers you can cut through DCA to get back to your room. I did this quite a few times last summer since our room location made the private DCA entrance an even shorther walk.

Had to chime in here--the walk from DLHotel to the park is quick and fun--through Downtown Disney (which isn't all that big.) You can always catch a monorail from Downtown Disney (the stop is not far from the DLHotel) which will take you right into Tomorrowland.
If you've ever been to WDW, you'll be amazed at how compact and easily navigable DL is.
Have a great trip! :sunny:

Hi -

It is 1/2 mile from the DLH to the main gates of the parks. I know this is fact as I wore a pedometer one day as measured it. You walk through DTD to get there. GCH is closer -- probably 1/4 mile to the main gate of DL but from what I understand they have a private entrance to DCA somewhere on the hotel property. The monorail is closer to DLH but sometimes the wait there can be long due to the fact they are only running 1 train right now because of the construction on the new NEMO ride. DLH guest have priority boarding at the park in Tomorrow land by Autotopia but NOT at the DTD stop (this was as of mid April).

Strollers can be an issue on the monorail -- they have to be collasped in order to ride. The ones you rent from the park to not. Keep that in mind!!!

Hope this helps!!

Heidi

Stayed at both DLH and GC and both are an easy walk. If walking if really a big issue with you, then I say stay at the GC as it's even closer.

Thanks everyone!

Walking isn't a huge issue - as both my friend and I are avid exercise people - but her little one will have to go down for a nap once or twice and we are trying to figure out the best (and easiest) way to plan the vacation.

She can probably nap in the stroller, but it's great to have the option of a mid-day hotel break.

I've been to WDW quite often (acutally was on the WDW College Program twice) but this is my first time at Disneyland!!

Any other tips are much appreciated!

We just got back, We stayed at the GCH and DLH. We would walk back to the hotel every afternoon for a rest or a swim and then back to the parks in the evening. The walk was not too bad. We did prefer the GCH because it was closer. The first few days at DLH we always walked to the park entrance, then we took the monorail. It was really nice to sit and rest our tired feet for a few mins.

Thought this might help show you how close everything at DL really is! I was surprised at the close proximity.

We've been to WDW many times and we are used to things being so far apart from each other!

This picture shows the security checkpoint, right outside both CA and DL, and the GC. (green roof and brown walls in the background) You can also see some of Downtown Disney. It's all really close and I don't see why you won't be able to go back to the resort to take a nap. We did! My toddler (and I!) needed it! :sunny:

(click to view larger)

I have stayed there several times. It is a nice little walk thru Downtown Disney. Depending on how crowded it is...and how long the lines are to go thru security it may take up to 30 minutes to get to Disneyland. That doesn't include standing in line to get admitted.
GC is closer; but not that much closer.
By the end of the day you WILL take the Monorail...your feet will pursuade you!

50thisyeartoo! said:
GC is closer; but not that much closer.

I do agree about waiting in line at the security checkpoint. It might take awhile, depending on crowds. For us, it was fast and easy but then again, crowds were light when we went.

But the poster said that GC isn't "that much closer" and I tend to disagree with that. You can see by the picture that GC is quite close to the security checkpoint. It might take awhile to walk *to* the checkpoint *if* your room is located on the other side of the GC but the GC is very close to both parks. (adjacet to CA)

Things to consider....GC has an entrance to CA that would probably be less crowded than the regular checkpoint so you could go to DL through that 'shortcut' everyday. And...once you get past the checkpoint, you are free to go back and forth between DL and CA w/o another security check.

I remember that when I was a kid at Disneyland, my dad would hop on the train and my younger brother could take a nap. They would ride around the park several times without having to ever get off. My dad said that sometimes he saw the Grand Canyon two or three times, but he was okay with that. The train isn't a bad place for a kid to take a nap and especially if they are only at 18 mo. Riding the train eliminates the walking altogether.

I swear the quickest way to put a kid to sleep is the Tiki Room! :thumbsup2 Nice and cool and dark. Works every time. The show is cute too :cheer2:

Thanks again everyone!

this has been really helpful.

I've emailed my friend with ideas and am waiting to hear what she decided for the hotel.

Just wanted to drop a note regarding the monorail. Service is limited due to the construction of the Finding Nemo attraction near the Tomorrowland monorail station. Currently, the monorail only runs back and forth between the Downtown Disney and Tomorrowland stations. We had the opportunity to ride in the cab with the driver on Sunday. He said that sometime in August they will be closing down the monorail completely since they would have to reconfigure the TL station. He expected it to reopen in the November timeframe. I have not seen this confirmed anywhere, but I thought that I would pass on what I heard.

The good news is that, as previous posters have indicated, the walk through Downtown Disney is fairly short and enjoyable.

Easy walk! I was so surprised that people here talk about the long walk or it being so far away. I never noticed it was a walk at all. You leave the hotel and are immediately in Downtown Disney. I've walked a lot farther in WDW parking lots to get to the gate than I have from DLH to the gate at DL and DCA.

We love the walk from the hotel to the parks entrances. So much to see and hear. They always have stuff going on. If we could only find a way around Build A Bear workshop we would be set. :rotfl:

We have stayed at all of the 3 hotels and loved each for its own personality. The GC is really centrally located and GORGEOUS!!! Go in for a cocktail or just to look at the lobby.It is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter