Walkers Wanna Compare Notes??

Got in 1.52 miles in a little over 32 minutes this AM. Back tightened up a little nearing the end, so I have to keep working on that. Plan to do some kind of core work tonight. So there.

That is more than hurt paw Panda did.:)

Slinking off now Panda:hippie:

Dear Sis and I did the "Fantastic Frigid 5K" this morning and despite the cold, icy and uneven paths - including a portion the race organizers called "the Woods of Death" :rotfl2: AND finishing dead last - I had a marvelous time! Both the clock time and fun time :laughing:

This particular group is pretty speedy and Sis and I were the only walkers....However, the runners are a very friendly group and made us feel welcome. Gotta love a group that makes sure that they don't do awards until everyone is in and saved us some hot dogs they were cooking on the grill for a post race treat. :cool1:

I also love my race tech shirt - a dopey looking moose on the front being chased by a rabbit.

The rest of the day will be working in my basement as my DH and I finish "redoing" the play room into a treadmill and recumbent bike friendly work out area. We had some work done down there on Thursday to correct a retaining wall issue, so the area is a jumble of stuff as we had to move things away from the wall for the work.

Since everything is displaced anyway, we figured this is the perfect time to rearrange the space into a work out friendly area for us. With the DS turning 21 next month, "play room" is not really a needed function anymore. The only playing will be on DH and DS's beloved drum set and with the exercise equipment. Wish us luck!

The weather here is still crappy so since I wanted to hit a shop at the mall I turned it into a work out and did an hour mall walking. It was nice to just get out there and do something. This was a first for me and I was surprised at the others there doing the same :thumbsup2

Still need to replace the shoes but want to wait till I can get out of town to an actual running shop. The closest one is about 1.5 hrs away so it might be a while before that happens.

Minnie I to walk in the mall sometimes before the stores open. I even trained to racewalk in the 2006 Ky state games at the mall in the mornings

Hi everyone, welcome WalkerGirl.

My achillies is better so I'm icing tonight and tomorrow I'll try some easy walking in the mall.

We had a pretty nice day here and I missed it cause I was working. Darn I hate having to work, Wonder if I could get paid to do Disney races.:)

Have a great evening y'all.

Sleepy Panda:hippie:

Morning everyone. I hope to get a bit of TM work in today but I have WW weigh in then off to a friends for some stitch & bit*h. Back home for Superbowl - we usually don't care but our Patriots are in so we're more in the mood. Nothing shabby about that Tom Brady! We have some sort of a numbers game at work and I've joined so if things work out I could have a bit of extra $$ but with my luck that won't happen.

Will post on the team thread if I get any work out done. Right now a cup of coffee is waiting so I'll check in later.

denise

Good Morning Walkers.:flower3:

I hope everyone woke up today with a song in their heart and ready to make the day your own.

This is going to be a banner year for us, magic is loose in the world and we need only to reach out for it.

I have to work today as usual since Erica and I take our weekend as Mon and Tus so we will miss some of the super bowl commercials. I hope the Pats win for ya Bill. We will have our dinner at the mexican restraunt and get to watch some of it there on the TV in the Bar.

Welcome to all the new walkers to the thread. There are a lot of good experienced walkers on here. Nobody minds answering questions or helping with your training plans.

Have a wonderful day y'all.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Hey Guys,

Yes Dave the dogs would pull us to the store for sure, they do prefer to ride in the jeep or truck. I should post a pic of them.

th_PC110032.jpg

Made good progress on the basement, sheet rocking the cuieling was a great upper body work out. We waited long enough for it to start snowing for our run and walk. Oh well, I think I got Cabin Fever.

Robert and Linda good luck on the hunt for a house.

Denise, great pic in your Signature of Simbas Paw.
TZSAFARI0639.jpg

Have a great day All

Hi, all!

Scott, love the dogs!

I have a question, if anyone has a chance to help me with this: how do I get my body to walk *faster*? I know I'm supposed to be working on distance right now since this is only week three, but I'm frustrated that it takes me so long to walk. I can't do my 4.5 mile walk today on the treadmill because I walk too slowly and my gym has a one hour limit on the TM (and, I hate it).

I checked--my mall is just over half a mile for a complete loop--the idea of doing that many laps to build up serious mileage is discouraging--they only give an hour on Sunday morning and it seems that until I get faster, I can't really get a lot of walking in there (It's 90 minutes on Saturdays, so that's a possibility for my regular walk days instead of distance).

Thanks! Have a great day, all!

Hi, all!

Scott, love the dogs!

I have a question, if anyone has a chance to help me with this: how do I get my body to walk *faster*? I know I'm supposed to be working on distance right now since this is only week three, but I'm frustrated that it takes me so long to walk. I can't do my 4.5 mile walk today on the treadmill because I walk too slowly and my gym has a one hour limit on the TM (and, I hate it).

I checked--my mall is just over half a mile for a complete loop--the idea of doing that many laps to build up serious mileage is discouraging--they only give an hour on Sunday morning and it seems that until I get faster, I can't really get a lot of walking in there (It's 90 minutes on Saturdays, so that's a possibility for my regular walk days instead of distance).

Thanks! Have a great day, all!

Hi Duckie:flower3:

Walking fast is just a matter of proper form and technique. You don't have to be a full racewalker to get to where 12 min miles are comfortable for distance.

To start with walking properly is not running slow, it's a whole different sport. With a whole different motion.

To start with, before you even think about practiceing fast walking, warm up good with easy brisk walking for a mile. Then pick up your speed slowly over the remainder of your walk till you are in a comfortablly hard zone where you can just hold the pace. If you don't your shins and lungs will be screaming at you and you will not get far at all.

Posture is important walk tall not bent forward like a sprinter. Your arms need to swing more toward the back than the front since unlike a runner your stride length is behind you. When you are walking fast it will feel like you are makeing short little strides because most of the stride length is to the rear.

You want your feet to land directly in front of you. A good way to practicce this is to walk on a line in the road like the white line down the center if you have a road with little traffic. You would leave foot prints in a straight line and not two seperate lines. Done properly it feels like you are walking downhill.

Your power in walking comes from your core, butt abs and hips and the push off is on the toes of the rear foot. concentrate on your leg swing coming from your butt and hips, keep your abs firm. The hip motion in race walking is from swinging your leg from the hip to the front of your body. The Europeans have much more swing than the American style.

So now you stand up straight, arms pumping more to the rear, feet landing in a straight line in front of your body and your leg swing starts at you butt. Unlike a runner who has a bit of forward lean, leg motion comes from raising and lowering knees and arms swinging to the front.

You have to practice speed walking for short periods till your shins are strong. You can add a little more each week.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/rayzwocker/worldclass/animated.htm

http://www.dropshots.com/mmprwusa#date/2007-06-01/20:10:12

I hope this helps you a little bit. The first link is what racewalking looks like in motion and the second link is a bunch of still photos to see a freeze frame of different motions.

Walking Panda:hippie:

We did a little walk around our hotel before heading off with agent to look at condo's. Spent a couple of hrs total but after looking at several brand new ones, we than looked at the one we had an accepted offer(never saw other than on internet pics). We liked it the best so we will open escrow on it tomorrow It is only a 1 yr old condo and is really nice and walking distance to lots of things. Should close beginning of March and we can move some stuff in before surgery #2. We will move in for good probably 1 week after surgery #2 so I have time for post op appt at Lake. Need to be away from snow while doing all my rehab.

Will watch the greatest upset ever at 3:30:upsidedow

Hope everyone enjoy the weekend:)

Dave: glad the Achilles is starting to feel better.
Is anyone thinking of doing the Everest Expedition? I really want to do it but it is very soon after our 2-week Panama Canal cruise and only a month before our TofT trip. There is NO WAY John will be able to take off as he is a one-man show. His revenue was down about 20% last year and one of the reasons was because he was away from the office so much. I'm thinking of taking my older son, the quirky film-maker, as a sort of mother-son bonding experience. He is always up for an adventure...especially a fully paid one with real food! Spending 3-4 days with him 24/7 will be......hmmm, interesting, to say the least.

Thanks for all the good advice, Oh Wise Panda!

I didn't walk very fast today at all, but I did five miles, my longest walk ever. Yesterday was the first day of week three, so that's a lot for me.

I did notice that I've put a big toe through my thin coolmax socks TWICE now (no, not the same pair!) (yes, my nails are cut short and straight across!). So, does this mean that my professionally fitted shoes are too small? They had originally offered me a pair half a size smaller than these, so these WERE the bigger shoes....

Duckie, I would suggest intervals for getting faster. Pick either a certain time/distance or if your outside, walk fast up to the next landmark. Then slow down & do it again after a bit. Eventually, even your slower speed will be faster than it is now. And you'll be able to do it longer/farther. Keep up the good work!

Jeanne, I plan on doing the Everest event. I was already scheduled to be there :)! But I'm waiting for more info, as a day's pass isn't that appealing to me.

Duckie, I would suggest intervals for getting faster. Pick either a certain time/distance or if your outside, walk fast up to the next landmark. Then slow down & do it again after a bit. Eventually, even your slower speed will be faster than it is now. And you'll be able to do it longer/farther. Keep up the good work!

Stacey, thank you. I'll definitely try that! I just feel so slow! But I'm glad I got my butt off the sofa and went for it!

Well I have trash talked the bunnies, the buzzies, the Ds and the Goof offs. So I better hang out in here and hide for a while.

Robert how is the knee after some walking around today? Sore I bet. My achillies is still sore but no sharp pains. So hoping for a good walk day tomorrow. It was an awesome day here, 60s and sunny, course I missed it because I had to work.

The mew Disney Pixar Movie Wall E looks funny. There was an ad on the superbowl. We really wanna see the new Narnia movie.

Have a super evening y'all.

War Panda:hippie:

Thanks for all the good advice, Oh Wise Panda!

I didn't walk very fast today at all, but I did five miles, my longest walk ever. Yesterday was the first day of week three, so that's a lot for me.

I did notice that I've put a big toe through my thin coolmax socks TWICE now (no, not the same pair!) (yes, my nails are cut short and straight across!). So, does this mean that my professionally fitted shoes are too small? They had originally offered me a pair half a size smaller than these, so these WERE the bigger shoes....

I'm not experienced in running, but I always poke through any socks (athletic or not) within just a few wearings. What can I say...I have long toes!

I'm not experienced in running, but I always poke through any socks (athletic or not) within just a few wearings. What can I say...I have long toes!

Sounds like you might want to try a size larger sock. Just get one pair of a good brand and try them before you buy more.

Bill sorry about your ball team's ending in the super bowl. But you had a dream season for a fan.

Everyone, except me is doing super this week getting in their miles I'm hoping today will be good for me. I have rehabed my achillies well so we shall see in a few hours. At the rate everyone is going there will be a lot of PRs in the races this year.

Robert, walking as you know is not hard on the knees so you should be able to come back stronger than ever after the repairs. You needed a rest anyway.

Have a super evening y'all.

Happy Panda:hippie:

Good morning, everyone! I really should be at water aerobics, but we got a notice on Saturday that UPS would be by early this morning with a package that had to be signed for....???? I hope it's something good.

Ms mighty duck (OK, do you have a shorter real name or do I have to just type "mmd"?) 2 suggestions on the socks: 1) try something thicker like a Balega or 2) try toe socks like Injinis. I usually use the thick Balegas for training, but recently discovered the Injinis. I used them for the marathon and also my high mileage training sessions with a pair of very thin wicking socks over them. I know blisters were not your chief concern, but even without any Bodyglide or vaseline I finished blister free, so that's an added bonus.

Hope everyone with injuries is feeling better today. (and that includes broken-hearted Bill!)

Morning everyone.

Did not watch the Superbowl yesterday since I really didn't care who won. I did watch "The Closer" marathon on TNT. Does that count for something since after all it was a marathon? :rotfl2:

No training yesterday, but will be doing some today.

Nancy

GOod morning team.

Well I think I finally caught the flu/cold that has been making its' way through my famiy. I have a cough that I just can't shake and last night was hot/ cold/ hot/ cold hot. hotter. you get the picture, took the day off work today so hope to be good as new tomorrow.

Hope you all had a awesome weekend.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter