Walkies

BeckWhy

<font color=FF99FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain
Can you bring walkie-talkies into the parks to use as communication devises?

Yes. My sister-in-law did, but said there were many times that there was just too much background noise. And if you buy cheap ones or walkies with a limited number of channels you may have challenges finding a clear channel. Also, make sure you have them in a dry place on wet rides.

We used them last year and there are too many people using them so all we heard was cross talk with other families. We resorted to cell phones when we were split up.

Using half-way decent walkies, how far has anyone gone with these? I have used the walkies in other amusement parks like Hershey Park and eventhough other families were also talking I was still able communicate with my family members. Wouldn't using cell phones give you a large phone bill once you get home?

We also have fairly decent two-way radios with a long range. Like BarbaraMB, I would be interested in knowing how well I could expect these to work.

It isn't that we had a problem with how the walkies worked it is that there are thousands of other people using walkies too and only so many chanels! We always ended up talking to poeple that we didn't even know thinking it was our family. All the families that we go with have cell phones that don't charge extra when using them out of your area, so that worked out great for us! The walkies are great for around the hotel if you have older kids that can go off by themselves.

Good luck!

It's important to have the ones with all the subchannels. I was with a youth group in Washington DC a few years ago and some people brought ones with only 6 channels. It was a mess in that so many people were on these.

We own ones with the subchannels and have them set on my birthdate, then if that channel is busy we go to my husband's, etc. That way you don't announce where you are moving to the rest of the world (sometimes you want to ditch people who like to "listen in":

Example Oct 26 birthdate:

Main channel: 10
Sub channel: 26

This creates an easy to remember, obscure channel that, in most cases, no one else will be using. If they are, you announce that you should go to next agreed channel (which in our case would be DH's birthdate).

After my cellphone experience in the park I decided WALKIES are the way to go... I let my son have my Cellphone to communicate with us by calling my hubby's Cell... WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL My son went on a WATER RIDE and you guessed it DROWNED my phone GRRRRRR It wouldn't even come on after that LOL I had to go buy another phone. So ya might wanna think about letting the kiddies use the ole cellphone in the parks with any form of water ride...

Lew:) :) :) :)

A GOOD RULE IS TO USE GOOD QUALITY WALKIES , THE ONES I USE ARE FROM WORK , GOOD MOTOROLAS WITH COMMERCIAL CHANNELS I GET NO CROSS TALK THE RANGE IS GREAT ,SOMETIMES I SCAN THE OTHER CHANNELS TO PICK UP DISNEY CROSS TALK,THE DRAW BACK IS THE COST OF THESE UNITS AS FAR TO THE RANGE I CAN TALK FROM THE BW TO MY FAMILY IN EPCOT, I CAN GET ABOUT 5 MILES WITH THEM.:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter