Walking trail between VWL & Fort Wilderness?

JustTinking

DVC Member since 2002
Is there a walking trail from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness? If so, where do I find it? And how long of a walk is it? I want an option besides the boat.

Is there a walking trail from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness? If so, where do I find it? And how long of a walk is it? I want an option besides the boat.

You walk out to the bus stops at Wilderness lodge and keep going. You'll cross Wilderness Way (which is a cast member access road) and eventually follow a paved path that parallels Wilderness Way and will eventually take you to the main area of Fort Wilderness where Pioneer Hall and the Trails End buffet is. It's not a lit path, but it's paved. It's almost exactly 1 mile from the bus stop at Wilderness Lodge to the entrance of Pioneer Hall.

Here's a picture from Google Earth:

My husband and I thoroughly enjoy this walk and will do it most mornings when staying at the Wilderness Lodge. We're usually out around 7 and have seen as many as 23 deer and once even a bobcat. Squirrels are very prolific. Frequently the horses will be out of the barn once you arrive at the stables at the end of the trail.

In addition to the walkway mentioned above, there is also the Nature Trail, which basically hugs the shores of Bay Lake. The Nature Trail is more of a sandy / gravel path as opposed to one mentioned above, which is asphault / concrete. I prefer the Nature Trail, as I find it to be more scenic, but that's just my opinion. Here is the Google Earth view of the Nature Trail:

Another option besides walking and/or boat is to catch the bus.

Thanks Andrew, the nature trail looks great as well. How did you all know that I was geographically challenged and would need Google maps? LOL! Perfect!!

The nature trail is also my preferred path when I run. It starts out beside the bike rental shop, and as Andrew mentioned, essentially hugs the lake. After approximately 1/3 of a mile, the path diverges with one branch heading to the right where it intersects with the paved trail. If you go straight and continue around the lake, you will wind up on the back side of FW near a parking lot for CMs. Just head up the access road and you'll come out near the stables. I've heard some say CMs have stopped them, but I've been running that path for years without any issues. That route, too, is right at a mile from the bike shop to Pioneer Hall. In addition to the animals mentioned (though I've not seen a bobcat), I once saw hawk on the ground with a field mouse in its talons. Very cool!

We've seen deer along the nature trail and an odd looking turtle that is very flat and has a pointed nose. If you are running, walking, or riding a rented bike or surrey bike on the trail, keep an eye out for those turtles because due to their color and being so flat, they are hard to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter