Wanting a travel trailer, ANY advice appreciated.....

kackie

Earning My Ears
DH and I are looking for a travel trailer and have looked at many many many plans. I need to know how to "Check for Quality", I wouldn't know quality or poor quality if it sat up and spoke to me.

What brands would you recommend? We have seen the fleetwoods, forest rivers and a new outback lite that was really pretty inside. We would like to get a BR, bunks, sofa and dinette area in one but don't want to go over 7300 GVWA.

Any advice appreciated on types,brands etc. Does anyone know of a message board just for travel trailers? We are such newbies!

Thanks, future disney camper kackie

Not having my own yet either, I can't offer any specific advice other than to do research, as I am.

One very good site for such research is:

http://www.rvreviews.com/

There you can review recommendations and experiences that others have had with the same brand or dealer that you're interested in.

Hope that helps some.

-- Jack

Two pieces of advice from my sister--the researcher of the house--

#1--check out rv.org to see about joining the RV Consumer Group. The best $139 you could spend if you are looking at making a major rv purchase!

#2--using their info, if looking at a travel trailer or fifth-wheel, the New Horizons brand have 5-star ratings and it sounds as if their quality control is excellent. Their web-site is horizonsrv.com

Hope this helps!

We LOVE our Jayco. We looked at a lot of different companies and none of them seemed to compare. Our trailer is 30 ft (we didn't want to go that big but it was the shortest one that had room for our daugter's wheelchair). I LOVE the raised oak panels on all of the doors. The others that we looked at seemed "cheap" once compared to the Jayco. I'm posting a link to their site for you.

http://www.jayco.com/html/products/tt_eagle/eagle_304_BH.php

It's a little over the GVW but that you wanted but not by much. We have a full size Ford conversion van and it pulls it just fine.

One suggestion that I have is to get the tile by the doorway instead of carpet. We thought about this a were leaning towards the carpet but they didn't have the color my husband wanted with carpet. Boy are we glad that we got the tile! One day of camping in the rain was all that it took to convince us!

There's a TON of storage! The best being the storage under the queen bed.

Good luck on your search!

Diane

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

All the advice is so helpful. It really helps to learn and research.

kackie

Hi
We too loved our Jayco (it's now on the market as DH just bought a Mallard). It had way more storage than any other brand. We had looked at upgrading to a 5th wheel quest but 5th wheel part had limited head room.
I have already noticed things I'm going to miss (the new one is coming home today and I had taken pictures) Upper cupboard in new one theres only 1 good sized one and 2 little ones and no shelf. Just the little things. Our jayco had storage up the wazoo. Oh well time to say good bye.
Go on fact finding trips. Tell the dealer right up front what your doing if they wont give you the time then you don't want to deal with them. Rv shows another great place. Colored pens mark on the brochures what you like and don't like about each model. Check the used rv's on line they will give you floorplans and you can see how mfgs have changed things.
Above all hang in there it can be a long process and you don't want to just grab one.

PS lay down on the beds in all postions this I forgot the 1st time only good point about the new one so far.

We just bought a 26BH Wildwood by Forest RIver and are very pleased. It only weighs in at 4640 lbs. We bought it from a dealer in Muskegon Michigan who is selling them for dirt cheap. We found him through ebay. I think his user name is Maverick 707. People are driving hundreds of miles to buy from him because he is so cheap. We did not have to bid on ebay as I called him up and asked him what he would sell one to me for as I seen what he was doing on ebay. He said if you mention ebay prices you get a cheaper rate. Good Luck on your decison.

I am in the same boat you are. Thanks for the post. 2 questions for posters:

tiggereyeore: have you sold yours yet and could you e mail me some info on it?

kimba18: have you gotten the trailer yet and are you satisfied with it? The one thing I am worried about buying cars/rvs on ebay is . . . smell. It doesnt show up in the photos and I would hate to be stuck with something that I cant get the smell out of.

thanks guys
wendy

Blewits: These are brand spanking new travel trailers. Ours is a 2003. We have had it since June and have taken it out a few times and are very satisfied with it. Just to give you an idea we got it for $4000.00 less than the going rate. Which I think my husband checked the other day and they were closing for even less than that. I personally would not bid on ebay I would just call the dealer and ask for an ebay price if your interested. You could find your local Forest River dealer and see if they have that exact model in stock so you could check out quality and price to compare.

In late 1994 we bought a 32 ft. 1995 Citation, made by Thor. We kept it until Jan. 2001, when we replaced it with a motorhome. We never had any problems with the quality or features of the trailer. It weighed 5500 lbs. dry, so I am guessing that it weighed 6000-6500 lbs. loaded. The problem with the trailer was that it was TOO LONG. Because we live in a neighborhood with covenants, we had to store it in a commercial lot and had a constant battle finding lots it would fit in. The slightest incline would make the tail scrape, so I had to add drag wheels to lift it over bumps. Once, I drove it into a lot and lifted both axles a full two feet off the ground as I went up the driveway. Gas stations were also a constant problem.

I'm not trying to discourage you from travel trailers in general. They are the most economical entry into self-contained RVing, provided you already own an adequate tow vehicle and stay within a reasonable length. But salesmen will always downplay the problems of towing these vehicles. The bunkhouse models look great in the showroom, but they always end up on blocks in a permanent campground--not my idea of RVing.

Huck finn you were meant for an rv I guess. M&D have had the older models of those scrap too BTW. Our "new" Mallard has yet to drag and we live over a bridge that my MIL&FIL rv scrapes. All depends on the model and how it is set up. Newer is better. More steps in means it's higher also having the proper drop hitch is important. Camper and vehicle need to be level. Salesman can go either way.
Like I said earlier do fact finging trips. Tell them up front thats what your doing if they want a sale they'll be honest and helpful so that you'll come back if not you don't want to deal with them for service.

Have you looked into hybrid trailers? They look like a TT but, have tent ends like a popup. We have a 2001 23ft Shamrock with slideout and extends to over 30ft when the ends are open . They are light weight (ours weighs 3800lbs with our gear.) and tows easily.:smooth: There are several models and brands to choose from.Sizes range from 17ft to 25ft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter