Was it magical for you as a child?

heart4dis

Mouseketeer
How many of you went to WDW as a child? What do you think is the youngest age for remembering the experience on your own (w/o the help of parents reminding you with pix/videos)? Was it as magical as a child as it is as an adult? What was your favorite memory and how old were you?

I dreamed of going to WDW as a child, but my family could not afford it. I went as an adult and was so thrilled--I fell under its spell! I wonder if I appreciate it more because I saw it as an adult...I guess I'm wondering if my children will be either jaded by going as children or if I am now building up their expectations too much (I may be guilty of that!! I gush about Disney.) We're going no matter what, I would just like it to be AT LEAST as wonderful for them as my first time was.

I took my nephew when he was 4 (I didn't have children yet). He remembers because we show him pictures and talk about it. My youngest will be 7 (he'll have his bday at WDW) and I hope he'll remember it. The others: DD11, DS10, DS8...and DS7.

I grew up ten minutes away from Disneyland. My family moved from Maryland to California when I was five. The company that was wooing my dad told him to bring me along when he went out for a visit. They put us up at the Disneyland Hotel in a room right next to the monorail and gave us free tickets (they definately knew what they were doing!) I am a total Disney fanatic because of my magical experiences as a child. I remember that very first trip. I always ended up at Disneyland at least once or twice a year as I grew up. Everytime I came home from college, I would bring friends home and we would go to Disneyland. Now that I live in Indiana WDW is closer so I go with my DH every year. I fell in love with WDW my first trip!! Now I can't imagine going to Disneyland anymore because I have been spoiled by WDW. Your kids will love it. Even though I can't remember many specific details about my first trip, I do remember that it was such a very, special place. I remember that I was too shy to go up to Snow White so my dad went and told her that I wanted my picture taken with her. My dad had told her my name so she came over, knelt down and actually said my name!!! She talked to me for quite a while, all by myself since I was so shy. Later on we passed her again and she called me by name and waved to me. It was something so very simple but 25 years later I still remember how it made me feel.

I was 9 the first time I went and it was amazing! I remember stopping in my tracks in the middle of Main street with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes at the sight of Cinderella's Castle. Funny - but I still have the same reaction.

My 3 DS's were 5 , 3, and 3 1/2 at the times of their first visits (different trips).

I know that they had a wonderful time because I was able to experience the magic through their eyes.

They each have a memory or two of their first trip, but it's enough.

My youngest turned 5 last week and he wanted to have his birthday party @ Typhoon Lagoon! LOL
And he has not been to WDW since 10/2001!

He may not remember much, but he remembers Ketch-a-Kiddie Creek!

I went to Disneyland as a child, and yes, it was totally magical. I can still summon the same feelings, and I feel exactly the same way every time I go to WDW. What's odd is that my sister had exactly the same childhood I had, but Disney does nothing for her. I wonder what went into each of our psychological makeups to make us so different about that one issue.

My only trip to WDW was when I was 4. It was 1974, and I believe they were in the process of building Epcot, but MK was the only park at the time. I don't remember a lot - I do remember the Dumbo ride, Small World, the Tom Sawyer ride (?). We only have a few pictures of the trip, so that could be why I don't remember much anymore. The one picture we have is horrid though, I'm standing with my grandparents, mouse ears on, and have the poutiest, grumpiest look. :p I keep reminding myself that we WILL leave the park before any of my kids get that look. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter