WDTC Warning!

puffkin

DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to give a heads up on a situation I ran into last night. I am helping a friends family plan their first WDW vacation for June. They are a family of six and are not the "planning" type. So, the mom gave me all her information and asked me to book their room because she didn't know what to do (money is a slight issue). So, using the Disney Club number, I called for her...

A very pleasant CM answered the phone (didn't catch her name), and answered Walt Disney World Travel. I asked to book through CRO, she said she could do a room only package. I assumed she was able to book through both systems. After 10 minutes of giving all the information I verified that the cancellation policy was 5 days. She said it was. After another few minutes of playing in the computer, I verified that the deposit would be the first nights charge. She said of course. So, I give her my credit card number and she gives me a confirmation number of 8 digits and said the balance would be due on April 30th.

Now, I had indicated 3 times that I wanted CRO and not WDTC. She basically lied to me and led me to believe that I was booking through CRO. The friend I was helping has 4 kids and who knows if one of them will get sick or break a leg or something before their trip. If she would have called on her own, she would have had no idea that she was booking through the less desirable system. Even I was led to believe I was booking through CRO throughout the conversation, and I am pretty knowledgeable about Disney

Anyway, to make a long story short, I insisted that this was unacceptable and she transferred me to a CRO CM, where I went through the whole process again and got the right reservation and cancellation policy. I just wanted to share my story and give other callers a heads up. Make sure you have a 12 digit confirmation number if you want to book through CRO.

Kelly

Thanks for the heads up. I recently booked a reservation using one of the codes and I have an 8 digit confirmation # as well as a lousy cancellation policy. Anything under 45 days and I surrender my $200 deposit! I thought this was very weird but assumed it was just Disney's policy. Do you know if CRO will accept discount codes? I'd appreciate the info. if you know because I still have a little time to rebook without penalty. Thanks!

I have never had a problem using discount codes with CRO. I do know that sometimes certain codes are for packages only, and then you would have to book through WDTC. However, room only codes seem to be booked through both systems. It doesn't hurt to call and ask CRO!

Why do you assume that you were lied to? It sounds to me like there was just a misunderstanding.

You called in on the DC 800 number. That would tell the agent answering the phone that you are a DC member and to book your room only (or Basic Package as WDTC calls it) through the WDTC DC program. You basically confirm that she did this since you said "I verified that the cancellation policy was 5 days. She said it was. " If she booked this through WDTC and got a 5 day cancellation policy it had to be through DC.

I am glad that you finally got what you were after to satisfy your needs but I think that your assumption of being lied to was incorrect.

Did you know that DC reservations, unlike regular WDTC reservations, always have a 5 day cancellation policy too?

Golden Oldie-

I realize that WDTC usually picks up when you use the DC number. The first things out of my mouth were that I wanted to book through CRO and she said no problem. Each time I asked question about the policy, I said "because I know this is CRO's usual policy". She agreed. Also, I did not book using the DC discount because the lady I was calling for is not a member, therefore the 5 days wouldn't apply. I called last week for my own vacation in December and had no problems. I don't know if she intentionally lied to me, but I couldn't have made it any clearer that I wanted to book through CRO. If I would have been paying for the call, that 10 minutes would have really irritated me!

Just wanted to give other people a heads up! I know that Disney has hired a bunch of new CM's so not all of them may be up to speed on the different policies.

puffkin wrote

Just wanted to give other people a heads up! I know that Disney has hired a bunch of new CM's so not all of them may be up to speed on the different policies.

I read somehere on the 'net that they'd hired 200 CM's spread across all the ressie systems, and that this is a good time to make absolutely clear what it is you want, and get verification ASAP.
This past fall, I had a CM on the CRO line that had me so confused that I needed to speak to a supervisor to clarify the answer to what should have been a simple question.

Hi.. whats the difference between CRO and WDTC? Don't they have differnt telephone numbers so you know who you are calling?

I would like to know the difference as well. I had called the DC number and received information on an upcoming package. When I asked if this was the best price she could give since I was a DC member she stated "oh I didn't realize you were a DC member, no I will give you another quote"! AND to make matters worse she took forever on the phone to get any information. When I mentioned Central Reservations she got all weird and asked how I knew about Central Reservations? I didn't know it was such a secret!!! She would also not answer any questions regarding the difference between CRO and her number! I found that weird!

Do you get a better deal through CRO?:confused:

Apparently, WDTC takes calls when CRO call volume builds up. So even if you call CRO, WDTC might pick up. They do have seperate numbers though.

CRO: 1-407-934-7639 (407-WDisney)
WDTC: 1-407-939-7806

The differences:

A CRO room only reservation requires a one night's deposit within 14 days. If arrival is less than 30 days out, deposit is required at booking. The balance is due at resort check in. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover and The Disney Credit Card are accepted. You may also mail a check or money order. You may change or modify your reservation up to 5 days prior to arrival at no charge. Cancellations up to the 6 day mark will have your deposit refunded in full. Cancellations after the 6 day mark will be charged the one night's deposit as a penalty. Any additional amounts that may have been paid on the reservation will be refunded in full.

A CRO package booked 30+ days out requires a one night deposit within two weeks of the booking date. If arrival is less than 30 days out, deposit is required at booking and payment in full at 21 days to arrival. Cancellation up to 6 days prior to arrival gets a full refund. Cancellation within 5 days of arrival forfeits the original one night deposit (the rest is refunded). There are no "change fees" for modifications in CRO.

A WDTC package (including the "room only" Basic Package) requires a $200.00 deposit within 14 days of booking. The balance will be due 45 days prior to check in. Checks, money orders, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover and The Disney Credit Card are accepted. Cancellation between 6 and 45 days prior to arrival will result in a $100.00 fee. Cancellation 5 days or less will incur a $200.00 fee. Any change or modification of the reservation inside the 45 day mark will incur a $50.00 fee.

A WDTC Disney Club Package - If you are a Disney Club member, you are required to book through WDTC but DC members are given different terms than the general public. A deposit of $100.00 is required within 14 days of booking. The balance is due 21 days prior to check in. Cancellations made 5 days or less prior to arrival will incur a $100.00 fee. Changes or modifications made 21 days or less before arrival will incur a $10.00 fee.

All of this info comes from AllEars.net. The FAQ about CRO v. WDTC is here.

Wow! I guess I just got lucky. I had no idea about all of this when I made my ressies. I'm really glad mine went right the first time.

I called the DC number the other night and made 2 seperate reservations. I told the CM what I wanted and I ended up with a 8 digit number for one reservation and a 12 digit number for the other just like I expected. When ever I have called they have told me that they could do CRO or WDTC reservations. Maybe I have just been lucky enought to get informative CM's.

I called tonight and got the DC number, he immediately knew he couldn't help me and transferred me to CRO. I had a pleasant time with them. I guess it all just comes down to who you talk to. Thank God we got someone who knew what they were doing.:D

I hope all you guys who are using the DC 800 number to call and book through CRO are DC members, let's not take advantage of one of the very few perks DC members have any more. ~:(~

SuzyQue- I wasn't aware that anyone who was not a DC member would use the number because it is toll free. I am a DC member, and it shows up on my reservation even though CRO is handeling my reservation. Please don't assume everyone is abusing the system.

I agree...GREAT informative post Snackystacky! I have never had any trouble asking for any discount including DC through CRO. I always make my reservations through CRO and not WDTC. I've never had to cancel my reservation but if I had to I would not care for their policies.

This might help too? I found (since cell phone now has long distance, and calling cro# instead of the dc, & am dc member) to get cro and not wdtc on phone when promt says do you want to make a ressie for how many days, if you put in more than a couple of days you always get wdtc not cro! I told them, I'm a DC member and called the long distance # so as to NOT get WDTC and so I don't want them, etc... so I just hang up. Then found just put in 1 or 2 days and you get CRO every time! The system must be triggered that way so do sell packages or something? :rolleyes: MKY

sm4987... you're right, just received my confirmation from CRO today in the mail (changed from DC ressie when the new codes came out) and it states on the back of the form "For reservation information and modifications prior to arrival, please call" and then it lists a phone number, I called it, it said "Thank you for calling Disney Club reservations for Walt Disney World"!!!:eek: So then I pulled out my old conf. form from my DC ressie, and on the back is all the info for WDTC, no mention of a phone number to call. No wonder all the new CMs are having a hard time!!! ~:(~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter