WDW and Universal. Who wins?

And that's because, fundamentally, there just isn't a way for everyone to get what they want.

The average attendance at MK is about 47,000 people, give or take, not counting people who started in a different park and hopped there.

The theoretical hourly capacity of that ride is 1,650 guests per hour. That's not what they actually achieve, it's what they would achieve if no train ever took too long to load, every seat was filled, and there was no downtime.

If they ran the ride perfectly for all 24 hours in a day, they'd give about 39,600 rides.

So, even if they never closed the park, never missed a dispatch interval, and filled every single seat on the train, they still can't get everyone who enters on the ride even once. So, no matter what Disney does, someone is going to be disappointed.

(That THRC number is probably pretty close; touringplans has produced some exit counts of guests at various attractions running between about 1100 and 1500 and change per hour.)
Thanks for finding some data; totally agree with you that there isn't enough capacity in any park for everyone to ride what they want to. This was also explained in that Defunctland Fastpass video which really should be pinned to the top of any skip the line service thread lol

Thanks for finding some data; totally agree with you that there isn't enough capacity in any park for everyone to ride what they want to. This was also explained in that Defunctland Fastpass video which really should be pinned to the top of any skip the line service thread lol

Well, I think it depends on not everyone "wanting" to. Arguably, anything with a height requirement is off-limits for a number of the entrants. Still, I generally agree that there are guests who just won't be able to ride something, particularly the hot, new thing that everyone want's a peice of.

Well, I think it depends on not everyone "wanting" to. Arguably, anything with a height requirement is off-limits for a number of the entrants. Still, I generally agree that there are guests who just won't be able to ride something, particularly the hot, new thing that everyone want's a peice of.
I was referring to those popular E Tickets that are promoted in WDW ads that people see and want to experience- stuff like ToT, Slinky, Tron, Guardians, etc. Even using a ride without a height requirement - Toy Story Mania had 2-3 hour waits back when it opened and Fastpasses were gone for the day within an hour.

I was referring to those popular E Tickets that are promoted in WDW ads that people see and want to experience- stuff like ToT, Slinky, Tron, Guardians, etc. Even using a ride without a height requirement - Toy Story Mania had 2-3 hour waits back when it opened and Fastpasses were gone for the day within an hour.

No, definitely. I was just saying that you can't take the admission numbers as "everyone" wants to ride, because there are some people who won't want to and others that can't. As a purely academic exercise though it gets the point across. The attractions only have so much bandwidth. The solution? More attractions!

Ive been going since the parks opened and remember tickets and food like you'd get at any carnival. As Disney evolved some things got much better, the imersivenes, the thrill factor and the food for sure.
Cleanliness, reality intrusions and crowd mismanagement aren't my happly place. Value is subjective but spending my time on apps to ride half what I used to is clearly not an improvement. The ride time feature on the aps is nice as is the option of ordering food or making last minute rez.
Overall, we're still in but other parks. are doing some things much better now.
Agree... Disney isn't the leader it once was. But they could get there again if they wanted...
You want to pay for more FP? Also, rides went down constantly when we were at Universal. Finally, rides went down when I was at Disney as a kid. Problem was, without an app, there was no way of knowing until you got there.

Park hopping at any time is coming back in January.

The projections are what sets Disney apart from a random town’s fireworks.
Yes, I do want it to be more expensive for FP. Then less people would get it and the standby lines would move better. I don't love higher prices at Disney but that isn't what my issue is. My issue is that they are charging more & providing less for what you pay. That is the problem.;
Our group had a hard time with rides for young kids, especially at IoA. If a kid is under 48’’, there’s one ride for them at HP in IoA.
True about kids rides but I think Universal is making strides in this direction. I do wish they have more rides for everyone but we will see what happens with Epic.
But here’s the problem. Lots of people complain about paying for it. But then people say it’s not expensive enough. So the company can’t win.
You are never going to please everyone all the time. But if they provide a good service and focus on quality and value overall they will come out a winner.
But we still barely wait when we have it. It’s worked really well.
That's great that your one experience was good. That isn't the experience for every family. That is the problem.
But if Disney did that—which would put them in line with Universal and other parks that price their fast pass equivalent to the cost of the ticket—people would complain that Disney is too expensive.

Honestly, I was surprised at how long the express pass lines were at Universal, given how expensive they are. Likely it’s because they give it out to everyone at the deluxe hotels.
No line is ever super fast but having stayed at Universal multiple times with Express Pass the EP line was almost always much better than stand-by. And essentially that is the point of EP - to reduce the wait that you would have if you are stand-by. It never said it was no wait at all.

Usually I only waited 10-20 minutes for a ride with EP. So definitely a value for my dollar.
The other way to eat into the daily guest count is to keep raising the price of admission.
Yes, and they should keep raising prices. However they need to up their value of what you are getting. If they just raise prices and quality continues to decline that will be a recipe for disaster.

No, definitely. I was just saying that you can't take the admission numbers as "everyone" wants to ride, because there are some people who won't want to and others that can't. As a purely academic exercise though it gets the point across. The attractions only have so much bandwidth. The solution? More attractions!
Especially when you consider how Peter Pan's Flight has capacity of approx. 800 riders/hr and it's super popular....yikes.

100% agreed. More capacity please!

Lower additional staffing requirements to add attractions vs building an entire park as well. Seems more in line with where Disney wants to go

But we still barely wait when we have it. It’s worked really well.
You have to choose rides based on availability though (I had this issue in DL when I used it recently). In a more expensive system there are fewer restrictions. I probably wouldn't buy it if it were more expensive but that's the tradeoff.

Eh..there's a difference in the VIP tours and what's being talked about.

VIP tours still exist for those willing to pay but they are on a much higher level of cost scale.

I don't think people remember what the VIP tours are when they talk about them

Straight up from Disney's website:
  • Pricing: Ranging from $450 to $900 per hour, depending on the season (valid park admission is required for each park visited on tour and is not included in the price of the tour).
  • All Private VIP Tours must be booked for a minimum duration of 7 continuous hours, and your party may include up to 10 Guests, including infants.
Per hour...so no it's not the same boat of people. The highest cost of the EP for our trip was $189.99 for a day per person for Unlimited Park to Park. It can get higher but no not the same as a VIP tour.

Could we personally afford $3,150 for one day (at the lowest end)? I mean yes financially we could but then you're talking about adding on park tickets too.

So no, the VIP tours are not the same as wanting to increase the cost of a paid get ahead of the line system.
Right, so your problem is the cost. That's exactly my point. You think that the $450-900 per hour is unreasonable. Some people think the cost for Genie+ and the additional Lightning Lanes costs are unreasonable. It's all relative. If you were a billionaire you probably wouldn't care about the VIP costs, just like the upper-middle class doesn't care about the G+ and ILL costs. So your problem isn't with a lack of service, it's with the price. You feel entitled to a higher level of service, but you aren't willing to pay for it. I don't know how to politely say it, but, Disney doesn't care because you're not rich enough to deserve that treatment in their eyes. Being priced out of experiences isn't fun for anyone, but that's just how the business works. Not everyone gets to have a private jet, not everyone gets to skip the lines.

Right, so your problem is the cost. That's exactly my point. You think that the $450-900 per hour is unreasonable. Some people think the cost for Genie+ and the additional Lightning Lanes costs are unreasonable. It's all relative. If you were a billionaire you probably wouldn't care about the VIP costs, just like the upper-middle class doesn't care about the G+ and ILL costs. So your problem isn't with a lack of service, it's with the price. You feel entitled to a higher level of service, but you aren't willing to pay for it. I don't know how to politely say it, but, Disney doesn't care because you're not rich enough to deserve that treatment in their eyes. Being priced out of experiences isn't fun for anyone, but that's just how the business works. Not everyone gets to have a private jet, not everyone gets to skip the lines.
I didn't read it that way. Fastpass and VIP tours are 2 different things. Yes, the cost is wildly different but even Universal has both. They have private VIP tours and semi-private so yes they are 2 different things.

Some people don't want a tour guide with them all day and just want to be able to spend less time in lines and have that flexibility without having to be with a stranger for hours. So to me it isn't a price issue it is sometimes just the way you want to tour. 🤷‍♀️

The option to pay more for better service already exists, it's VIP tours. Every time this conversation comes up, someone says they'd pay more for fastpass, but that they can't afford a VIP tour. So the issue is really that you want Disney to specifically make a product that you can afford that is cheaper than their current option of doing a VIP tour. So really it's the same boat as it is now where some people can afford better service, the others cant, and everyone that can't afford the VIP service complains.

This sooo much. "Make something that I can pay for that lots of others can't because I can't afford a VIP tour" VIP tours are exactly what so many folks want Genie+ to be. But Genie+ will never be that because then no one would pay for VIP tours.

Additionally, WDW isn't investing what they're probably capable of in the parks and taking the cheaper way out. I'm also not against IP (I'm OK with Moana and they made GoTG work where I think it fits), but if they want to attract the next generation of Disney fans, they're going to need to do SOMETHING different. I brought my nieces to WDW parks in 2021 for their first-time visit - not the ideal time I know for first-timers - but all they were interested in was Splash, Space, Tower of Terror, Big Thunder, and RnR. All original to parks and not connected to movies, etc.

My nieces don't even like Disney movies but could become fans of park innovation. I couldn't understand it but I'm now watching my own teen who prefers Universal and am thinking, who can blame them? Their generation is basically experiencing live-action remakes, nothing like my now adult kids experienced with animated movies from Disney WDW edited for clarity). They have no attachment to the IP. My DD has been to WDW far more than UO, but she prefers UO. She grew up on Harry Potter and loves the Mummy and MIB rides. I could see her choosing UO over WDW with her own kids someday.
This is very intriguing for me because I can't remember a single live action movie I watched as a child other than Jurassic Park. But I watched animated ones daily for months at a time. It would be super interesting if Disney's attempts to give new life to their older IPs ends up backfiring because kids can't connect with their live action movies the same as we could with their animated ones.

No my problem isn't cost at all. In fact they'll likely need to raise the VIP tours if such a huge price hike occurs on Genie+/ILL. VIP Tours has its place in the parks and I've never had any qualms about their existence nor price.

My post was a correction to your comment. Your position was it's merely people who complain about cost and yet a costlier option already exist and they are still one in the same clientele. That is true a costlier options exists but they are completely different products meant for completely different clienteles and the sheer cost difference reflects in that.

I think you're mixing up posts and positions on the topic here with your comment. Especially your priced out comments/rich enough, whatever. Nor have I said I'm entitled to anything. I'm not sure what chip on your shoulder you've got but please don't typecast people because of it.

I never said that the VIP tours were unreasonable in cost, I said you've got that low end $3K+ in addition to park tickets. What was being spoken about was raising the price of Genie+/ILL to which case it still wouldn't be $3K+.

This sooo much. "Make something that I can pay for that lots of others can't because I can't afford a VIP tour" VIP tours are exactly what so many folks want Genie+ to be. But Genie+ will never be that because then no one would pay for VIP tours.

This is very intriguing for me because I can't remember a single live action movie I watched as a child other than Jurassic Park. But I watched animated ones daily for months at a time. It would be super interesting if Disney's attempts to give new life to their older IPs ends up backfiring because kids can't connect with their live action movies the same as we could with their animated ones.
Really? I watched Willow, Princess Bride, Homeward Bound, Drop Dead Fred, Secret Garden, Little Princess, all sorts of Shirley Temple movies, etc.

I really doubt kids today are watching the live action remakes over the original animated films but who knows, I could be wrong. They sort of get forgotton within a year of them releasing. Like, does anyone remember Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio and Dumbo getting the live action treatment?

Warner Bros is remaking the Harry Potter films into a TV series so that could be an attempt to revamp the IP for a new generation (or the real answer is that they want to make $$$).

Really? I watched Willow, Princess Bride, Homeward Bound, Drop Dead Fred, Secret Garden, Little Princess, all sorts of Shirley Temple movies, etc.
I remember watching Little Princess from that list. But it's none of those are merch buying nostalgia inducing IPs to me. All of them were made before I formed consciousness tho so I can't speak for an older generation.

I really doubt kids today are watching the live action remakes over the original animated films but who knows, I could be wrong. They sort of get forgotton within a year of them releasing. Like, does anyone remember Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio and Dumbo getting the live action treatment?
My kids are more drawn to some of the live action stuff vs the originals, but they’ve watched a few of the originals on their own. They’ll watch more of the newer animated features like Encanto, Moana, Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, etc. over the classics.

Warner Bros is remaking the Harry Potter films into a TV series so that could be an attempt to revamp the IP for a new generation (or the real answer is that they want to make $$$).
Just, no. But that’s also gotten decent backlash because of JK Rowling’s involvement.

"Make something that I can pay for that lots of others can't because I can't afford a VIP tour" VIP tours are exactly what so many folks want Genie+ to be.
Weird because I literally said we could financially afford a VIP tour. These tours exist for a reason and they aren't for the average park goer though. If they were they would lose their VIP aspect. On the other hand we know how it feels for many when too many people have Genie+/ILL so there's a balance to be had about accessibility with the experience of those paying for it.

MP started at $10 per person per day, then went to $15, then went to $20 per person per day.

I don't want them to raise the price because of me, it's about the collective people and the product as its working. Interestingly in the past I discussed just how much even for 2 people Genie+/ILL (and MP in the past) added on so you and the other poster are barking up the wrong tree or rather preaching to the wrong poster on that.

But if your product is suffering because of the amount of people who are using it you need to adjust things. Look how many complaints people have because they paid for it and still waited in longer lines. Disney still hasn't found their sweet spot on pricing, it's why you continue to see tweaks on it, it's why they introduced $25 for Genie+ if you have a park hopper and plan to use it for another park. I don't want a price increase so that more people can't afford something, it's IMO that a higher price point would help overall most especially because of how Disney gets people through their lines where it can be downright brutal when a bunch of LL guests come through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter