WDW and Universal. Who wins?

My opinion: WDW sells nostalgia. Universal sells a theme park. The last few additions to WDW seemed to be more about keeping up with Universal than creating nostalgia. WDW needs to decide if they want to have 'just another theme park,' or go back to their roots of creating an experience. Long term, if they try to compete at Universal's game, WDW will lose. If they focus more on the guests, then WDW will win. That is how WDW has been able to stay on top while having rides and shows from the 70's. Just my opinion, but, one day, when I am CEO, that is what I'd do.

My opinion: WDW sells nostalgia.
I think they’re still doing that. I might not agree with all the decisions they’ve made in recent years but what the parks added in regard to nostalgia is working. GotG, RotR, Pandora, Tron. These are amazing experiences that can be shared and treasured by 3 generations together.

The 2 biggest things that standout to me about Disney parks is rides that the majority of guests can share and beautiful atmosphere from every angle. I think they’re still delivering on this. Sure IP is getting stamped all over. It’s hard not to when the public eats this stuff up. Having Moana stamped on the water feature doesn’t take away it’s likely to have breath taking angles, help spread crowds and become part of guests memories together.

This is a terrible take and in no way will Universals 3 parks out attendance Disney's 4.

I will guarantee that Magic Kingdom will have greater attendance than any Universal parks, including Epic Universe. No way will IOA/UO be able to have more attendance than AK/HS/Epcot. The only way Universal will have a higher attendance is if they have 5 parks.
Thread is a troll question. but if we frame the question in terms of year-over-year growth, then Universal should have a strong year when Epic Universe opens.

I found it interesting to look back over historic park data. Back in 2002, only one US park saw growth that year. It was Universal, and it was due to moving the location of the Halloween parties.

You say that Universal is 3 parks and WDW is 4 (as does OP), but that's only Orlando. Worldwide, both companies are larger. Disneyparks still outrank Universal, but they are both big players.

The chart for 2022 (post #8) kept the 2019 order, but 2022 numbers show:

1 MK 17,133
2 Disneyland 16,881
3 US Japan 12,350
4 Tokyo Disneyland 12,000
5 U's IoA 11,025
6 HS 10,900
7 U's US Orlando 10,750
8 Tokyo DisneySea 10,100
9 Epcot 10,000
10 AK 9,027

AK and Epcot barely make the top 10 list. Universal has moved up quite a bit from up quite a bit from 2019, when they ranked 11 and 12.

The 2022 attendance rankings say otherwise. Both Universal Orlando parks (#5 and #7) had higher attendance than Epcot (#9) and AK (#10).
You aren't taking into account that Disney ran their parks at limited capacity last year which would have skewed the numbers, which is why no one has been using the numbers to compare the 2 the last few years. That also means that the only way UO overtook any of the Disney parks in its neighborhood was for Disney to cripple itself haha.

EU will be a welcomed addition in the area, just don't be surprised if it ends up boosting Disney attendance as well.

To be fair, 2022 was a year in which WDW refused to sell any new APs and turned away day guests surprisingly often.

That's not to say that Universal parks aren't great (they are, and I am a Premiere passholder there) but comparing 2022 (and maybe even 2023 with new WDW APs still not available until well after spring break season ended) is not exactly sporting.

2024 will sure be interesting though.

This is definitely a troll post, but what the hell might as well have some fun. My take is that the two aren't in the same weight class, and won't be anytime in the foreseeable future. Does anyone think that central Florida is the destination it is without Disney? now think about it in reverse if UO wasn't in town. The point is that UO has primarily won off of Disneys success, where Disney has never needed UO to strive

Last edited:
You aren't taking into account that Disney ran their parks at limited capacity last year which would have skewed the numbers, which is why no one has been using the numbers to compare the 2 the last few years. That also means that the only way UO overtook any of the Disney parks in its neighborhood was for Disney to cripple itself haha.

EU will be a welcomed addition in the area, just don't be surprised if it ends up boosting Disney attendance as well.
Yes, I did. :confused3

The piece of that puzzle missing is HS.

AK/HS/EP = 30m
UO/IOA = 22m

I was at WDW for two weeks in March '22. There were many more than just one or two days when Epcot was sold out on the day of and several days before--as were all the others. (I know because I was trying to move park days to no avail.)

In Universal's defense, IOA is a fantastic park. Sure, some parts have aged poorly, but still: it is a fantastic example of themed entertainment, and as good as just about anything Disney had produced by then, with maybe the exception of AK. Since Potterverse 1.0, the UO parks have just gotten better, and by a lot.

My opinion: WDW sells nostalgia. Universal sells a theme park.
Not just nostalgia, but a whole immersive environment. Clearly Universal has greatly stepped up their game in that regard; I haven't seen their Diagon Alley area in either Florida or California, but by all reports it's fantastic. And maybe their other new areas will be similarly impressive. But Disney has been the trendsetter in that regard, and I hope they continue to set a high bar. Personally, I think Galaxy's Edge is wonderful. And I remember when Tower of Terror opened how incredibly better it was than the bare-bones drop rides at other amusement/theme parks. That's the Disney difference that they need to consider every time they make changes in one of their parks.

But Disney has been the trendsetter in that regard
I agree that Disney is the king of the hill, but the gap between "best efforts" is getting narrower.

Disney is also only great when they want to be. DCA 1.0 was...well, not great. There is a story (that may be apocryphal) that retired Imagineers were shown the model of the park, and thought it was a practical joke. Likewise, the Paris Studios park has required a LOT of effort to overhaul into something that is worth visiting.

On the other hand, the Paris castle park is spectacular. There's no other word for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter