WDW and Universal. Who wins?

I assume new vs old was based on copyright lengths.
I'm not sure that would be the reason. You have storm troopers and darth vader, chewbacca, etc at DHS plus Star Tours. It appears by basically all accounts a conscious decision to try and appeal to younger (by that I mean kids) newer audiences but the people who are actually buying the tickets are more likely to have more nostalgia to the old. I'm not thinking you had to necessarily have meet and greets with Han, Leia or Luke but rather that the original world is more far reaching in appeal as in the number of people who are familiar with it.

We've said this...over and over and over...but in 2022 WDW was refusing to sell new APs, and on a surprising number of days refusing to sell day tickets for some or all parks close to the day of attendance.

There's a reason TEA/AECOM did not re-order the list from 2019 through 2022.

Even 2023 is going to be a little wonky, because WDW didn't start selling new APs until after the busy spring break travel season was done and dusted.

Universal tends to do more with less. If Disney has the imagination to push forward and less Bureaucracy, they could easily revamp what's currently there and add to it via new lands, new parks, rides, etc., Trumping what Universal has.

It feels like Disney is more beholden to the share holder and wall street than Universal is, which has led to this swing Over a couple of decades, which ironically IMHO has held back their stock price.

Even once Universal's new land is done, Disney will still have 4 parks instead of 3. Not to mention the multiple water parks, and other venues.

I think Disney's only fear would be until now Universal wasn't enough to devote an entire vacation - it may have been a part of an Orlando vacation that may have included Disney or Sea World or Legoland or outlet mall shopping and nice dining. Does there come a point that people can stay in the "universal bubble"enough that they wouldn't cross over to visit the mouse....

Also, how amazing does Epic Universe prove to be at opening. I'm sure Disney will be watching that as well.

Universal tends to do more with less. If Disney has the imagination to push forward and less Bureaucracy, they could easily revamp what's currently there and add to it via new lands, new parks, rides, etc., Trumping what Universal has.

It feels like Disney is more beholden to the share holder and wall street than Universal is, which has led to this swing Over a couple of decades, which ironically IMHO has held back their stock price.
Interesting take, Universal is primarily IMHO a coaster park with screen rides, they have definitely done some cool things with HP, and Epic looks promising, but lets not overblow it by saying they have done more with less. To land HP they had to be bold and spend a ton of money kudos to them, outside of that they really haven't been crazy innovative IMO

Interesting take, Universal is primarily IMHO a coaster park with screen rides, they have definitely done some cool things with HP, and Epic looks promising, but lets not overblow it by saying they have done more with less. To land HP they had to be bold and spend a ton of money kudos to them, outside of that they really haven't been crazy innovative IMO

This is true to some extend. I mean, I know people laud the Harry Potter stuff (and it IS well done), but for all of that, what else have they launched? Fast & Furious Supercharged? Race for New York? I hear that new Minions ride isn't too special either. They have a lot of misses in their column too. I do hear Velocicoaster is pretty great though.

I'm not saying Universal is bad or antyhing - they are doing some good stuff for sure, but the idea that they are somehow lightyears beyond what Disney is doing just doesn't hold water. They both have their ups and downs.

It'll be interesting to see what Epic brings and what Disney does in terms of additions to AK and MK if they come to fruition (seems AK will at least - desperately needed!)

One thing I feel Universal is doing better - and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one - is the street ambiance and shows in Studios. It seems there are characters or shows on the "streets" around most corners that you can pretty much go from one to the next easily. Disney used to feel like that but not so much anymore. That can't even be blamed on the pandemic since they were cutting entertainment in Epcot and DHS before Covid hit.

Universal has some good stuff and our next trip is to Universal with maybe or maybe not a stop at Disney in December, but they have areas they need to work on too, such as Lost Continent and the comic area. So it's not just Disney in that respect.

This is true to some extend. I mean, I know people laud the Harry Potter stuff (and it IS well done), but for all of that, what else have they launched? Fast & Furious Supercharged? Race for New York? I hear that new Minions ride isn't too special either. They have a lot of misses in their column too. I do hear Velocicoaster is pretty great though.

I'm not saying Universal is bad or antyhing - they are doing some good stuff for sure, but the idea that they are somehow lightyears beyond what Disney is doing just doesn't hold water. They both have their ups and downs.
I agree, they are in Disney's backyard which is why i think there is so much comparing and contrasting. They just aren't the same type of amusement. Universal is more your standard type of theme park with some good "imagineering" sprinkled in. Disney is wholeheartedly imagineering with some standard offering popping up here and there

It'll be interesting to see what Epic brings and what Disney does in terms of additions to AK and MK if they come to fruition (seems AK will at least - desperately needed!)

One thing I feel Universal is doing better - and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one - is the street ambiance and shows in Studios. It seems there are characters or shows on the "streets" around most corners that you can pretty much go from one to the next easily. Disney used to feel like that but not so much anymore. That can't even be blamed on the pandemic since they were cutting entertainment in Epcot and DHS before Covid hit.

Universal has some good stuff and our next trip is to Universal with maybe or maybe not a stop at Disney in December, but they have areas they need to work on too, such as Lost Continent and the comic area. So it's not just Disney in that respect.
i can only speak for myself, but when we were there last week we saw a ton of streetmosphere at Disney. I could have been that my daughter was ready to point any and everything out

Look at it from the perspective of land. universal was landlocked until the purchase of the epic property. They had to work within the confines of what we see today for their entire existence. Disney on the otherhand has all the land in the world but is very conservative about using it to expand. universal is likely to build a 4th park before Disney even bothers.

Quality questions aside, Universal has revamped their entire original park. MK is like a museum by comparison.

According to the best estimates I could find Disney is averaged 11.5 million visits per park and UO 11 in 2022. As we move in to a post pandemic dynamic Disney has better than double the capacity of UO.

However, pricing is commensurate. You can do premium level passes at SW/BG and UO for the less than the price of Disney's premium level.
Who's winning? We are! Especially if you live close enough to fully experience all of them regularly.

I think the "good stuff" that Universal has is that it's easy to hop between the two parks, their boat transportation runs continuously (I've rarely had to wait) and it's easy to get to and from the hotels, I can get in line for a ride whenever I want, I don't need to make dining reservations ahead of time, plenty of places to sit down and people-watch, lots of street entertainers, shorter lines to meet characters, no need to make complicated plans ahead of time, no need to wake up at 7am, friendly workers, and clean parks. It's just an all-around, easier, less-stressful experience.

Look at it from the perspective of land. universal was landlocked until the purchase of the epic property. They had to work within the confines of what we see today for their entire existence. Disney on the otherhand has all the land in the world but is very conservative about using it to expand. universal is likely to build a 4th park before Disney even bothers.

Quality questions aside, Universal has revamped their entire original park. MK is like a museum by comparison.
I think when you boil down how the land will be divided, Universal is adding a 110 acre theme park (in line with most theme park sizes), the rest of the land looks to be divided into parking, hotels, shopping, ect. Competition between Dis and Uni is only good for consumers, but this expansion just isn't as big as people are making it out to be. Disney hasn't been a slouch with expansion either, they have just been focusing on the parks they currently have rather than adding a 5th gate.

I would say that AK needs more of a revamp then MK. MK plays on the classics that are passed on generation by generation. AK on the other hand feels dated, Tough to be a bug isn't relatable to the younger generation because a bugs life never became a classic. Dino land is the biggest bust Disney has ever put out in their parks (completely bungled because of the mythical creature fiasco) Kali River and Everest are both solid, and FOP is fantastic. Navi River is a joke IMO one of the worst Imagineering jobs, feels like it belongs more in Universal just based on the theming and overall ride. Stick to fixing and enhancing that park (which seems to be the next plan), and then we can talk about a 5th gate.

IMO Uni needed to add on, and fix their existing parks in tandem, but EU in a good decision overall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter