• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Dining Reviews - August 7-12

Kath2003

DIS Veteran
The testers were:

Me: 21, not a big meat eater but not hugely fussy
Dfriend: 21, practically veggie, fussy eater

August 7th - Magic Kingdom

We tried out Aloha Isle since we'd finished all the major rides at MK that morning. There was a short line at 12noon - they'd run out of pinapple juice so that was slowing down people who wanted floats.

I got a pinapple/vanilla swirl cup. It was OK - the pineapple bit wasn't very nice to be honest. I much preferred the vanilla side. I couldn't finish it - I ate about half of it. I'm not really an ice-cream fan, to be honest - it's too cold! My friend had a plain vanilla cup (she wanted it with sprinkles but they were out). She seemed to like it and ate it all. She hated mine because she doesn't like pinapple. It was like $6 for the two of us or something so we were happy.

Next, Crystal Palace. We had 2pm lunch reservations and showed up at 1.45pm because it had started to rain. We were seated within five minutes. Our server was forgettable but she brought me a water and my friend a coke - what more do you want?

The food was OK. My friend liked the garlic mash potatoes and the kids macaroni cheese. I liked the salads and the curry noodles (my friend ate one bite and complained they were too hot - I thought they were very very mild!). I tried a bit of the salmon and it was nice, too. I liked the Boston Creme Pie for dessert which was so good I had two slices. My friend mainly stuck to cookies and ice cream (she finally got her sprinkles!). I thought the garlic mashed potatoes weren't garlicy at all but my friend loved them. :confused3

The main disappointment here was the character interaction. The characters were OK and posed for photos with us, but they weren't very interactive even when we tried to play with them. Yes, I realise we're two adults at a character lunch but hey, we paid to be there just like everyone else!

There was also a BIG problem with people not waiting their turn. Every time a character came to our table, someone shoved their children at them and started taking photos. There's only so much the characters can do about it and they generally didn't seem to have minders around. We managed to get some photos with the characters after everyone else had taken their turn :guilty: The lady at the next table had two very well behaved children who waited so patiently for the characters and she kindly took photos for us.

CIMG1987.jpg

The food was mediocre and the character interaction poor :(

August 8th - Animal Kingdom

As a surprise for my friend, who loves Stitch, I booked us in for a breakfast at 'Ohana. Our reservation was at 8.30am but I drastically overestimated how long it would take to get to the Poly from our hotel on I-Drive so we ended up arriving at 7.45am. This worked out great - we were seated immediately and the restaraunt was virtually empty.

What a contrast to Crystal Palace! We met Mickey who posed for photos with us - our server took photos. Lilo came along and played with Mickey for a bit which was cool.

We sat down and breakfast arrived - I liked the pinapple bread! The fruit was disappointing - mainly melon which is the only fruit I dislike. There was some pinapple which was nice, though. Then the hot food arrived: the bacon was delicious, the potatoes were OK - I don't really get what everyone raves about here. The sausage was kinda odd - I didn't really eat much but my friend seemed to like them. We got through plenty of waffles! Since neither of us like eggs or biscuits we got a second platter of just waffles, meats and potatoes. We ate loads! We got coffee and orange juice (well, I got OJ since I don't like coffee).

The highlight here was the characters. The place was half empty so we had loads of time with them. We had a round of photos with them all and then they came back for more playtime. Pluto pulled up a chair and proceded to demand coffee from our server and did the whole shaking-cos-of-caffeine routine. He was hilarious.

CIMG2024.jpg

I told Stitch that my friend loved him and he clearly played up to it. He came up behind her later in the meal and kicked her chair and stole the eggs and biscuits we didn't want. We didn't see too much of Lilo but hey...it's Lilo. They did their little parade thing too - that was cute. By the time we were on our second platter the restaraunt was pretty full but this time the other guests were more respectful of each table's time with the characters and waited their turn. Don't get me wrong, it's uber-cute to see little kids meet their favourite characters but at Crystal Palace we just felt ignored.

After 'Ohana we headed off to Animal Kingdom. At about 2pm we popped into Pizzafari and grabbed a pepperoni pizza to share. It was nice - I really don't get why people have a problem with Disney pizza? :confused3

August 9th - Epcot

We headed to Epcot at about 3pm and did a few bits and pieces. We headed to the UK at about 5pm and grabbed some chips to share from England. They were chips. What more can you say? At least they had vinigar readily available for them! We got to see a rabbit while we sat and ate them too. We're British - chips really don't impress us but they're better than thin-cut fries.

After England I dragged my friend to the France Bakery having seen the delicious looking photos here! She got a chocolate croissant and the strawberry mousse. I tried the mousse and it was very strawberry-y! It was nice. I got the creme brulee (can't resist) - it was lovely but big. I felt relatively sick by the end of it ;)

CIMG2073.jpg

A couple of hours later we went to Mexico and I wanted nachos. It had all seemed so simple: walk up to the counter, order what you want. Lemme tell you, the people in front took TWELVE minutes to order the following: two kids meals, nachos and a churro. I'm NOT kidding. It went on and on. They were three grown women who didn't know what they wanted. When two of them decided on the kids meal they wanted NesTea to go with it - obviously NesTea ins't a drink option with the kids meal so that started another 3-4 minutes of deliberation before they both realised they wanted pink lemonade. It took them about eight minutes to order their meals - and then they had to pay for it. How much did each of them owe? Who was having the churro? It just went on and on. One of them kept yelling "uh-uh, that ain't MY churro!" It was like a DOLLAR. Seriously. In the end the one that kept yelling refused to cough up any more cash so they had to put the remaining $1.77 on visa. Even the people serving behind the teller were asking what the heck was going on. It was insanity.

The nachos weren't worth the wait. Oh and my friend got a pink lemonade and paid me back the whole $2 AFTER we got out of the line :rolleyes:

CIMG2074.jpg

Later that evening we returned to Mexico to watch Illuminations and we both got frozen margheritas. They were...standard.

After Illuminations we went over to MK to watch Wishes and I grabbed some Minute Maid Light raspberry drink from the Main Street Bakery for $2.50. It was nice to see some diet drinks other than diet coke.

August 11th - Typhoon Lagoon/DTD

We went to Typhoon Lagoon and grabbed a refillable mug for the day. This was worth it just to hear the British woman in front of us tell her family that they weren't going to "wait around whilst they dealt with foreigners" (in front of them a spanish-speaking couple were buying a mug). Like, where do you think you are?! :lmao:

The mug wasn't worth it - it's incredibly awkward to drink out of because they don't allow lids or straws and you had to stick your hand through a swarm of wasps/bees every time you wanted to fill it up.

We got two pepperoni pizzas for lunch - same as at Pizzafari but they were nice enough.

After Typhoon Lagoon we went to DTD where we went to Goofy's Candy Co. I got chocolate covered oreo dipped marshmallows on a Mickey straw :) It was lovely. My friend got fudge - I don't like fudge but she seemed to think it was good.

August 12 - MGM

Whilst she was waiting for me to ride ToT (she's chicken!) my friend got a frozen lemonade. She loved it but it was too cold for me (even though it was 98 degrees that day).

We went to Mama Melrose at 4.40pm for a 5pm reservation, mainly to get out of the heat. We had some problems with them having our reservation but not having it down as the FDP. I pulled out my reservation number at it showed up on the central reservations as FDP but they hadn't a pass for us. They did get us one, though. I was pleased I'd taken the reservation number with me. We got seated just after 5pm.

We began with the four cheese flatbread which is easily big enough as an entree! It was nice although personally I can't ever get enough gorgonzola on a pizza! The salad was okay - again, I like my gorgonzola and there wasn't a huge amount. My friend liked the pizza and didn't try the salad.

My friend got the Vodka Penne which she loved (without onions/peppers!!). I got the Italian Sausage pasta which was lovely although the sausage was a looong way from being "spicy" as described. The portions were excellent.

For dessert my friend got the tiramisu which she loved. I got the warm chocolate cake which was a decidedly measly portion in comparison to all the other desserts and it wasn't particularly nice either - just chocolate cake?

Our server was cool, he seemed very surprised we were there without our parents (we're 21?!) and gave us his myspace address :rotfl2: He was 18!

Well, that's it! All in all: the food at Disney is "okay". 'Ohana is definitely worth it for character interaction and we enjoyed Mama Melrose.

Thanks for the reviews! I agree with your assessments of both Crystal Palace and Ohanas. We have had the same experiences. JMHO, but the reason most people trash WDW pizza is because it tastes like it was bought from the supermarket. Being from the NY-metro area, you can not get pizza like here anywhere else (some people believe it is the water).

Enjoyed your reviews. The vodka penne at Mama Melrose has peppers and onions on it? I wasn't aware of this. I plan to try this on our upcoming October trip so if anyone has any more info about it or the parm chicken (other possible choice) I would like to hear about it.

disneybound31 said:
Enjoyed your reviews. The vodka penne at Mama Melrose has peppers and onions on it? I wasn't aware of this. I plan to try this on our upcoming October trip so if anyone has any more info about it or the parm chicken (other possible choice) I would like to hear about it.

The first thing we were told is that if we'd like any of the dishes modified, they could do that no problem.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter