WDW or US/IOA, which would you choose?

01Sweetpea

DIS Veteran
Here is my dilema... My boys want to compete at TKD Nationals 10/12 - 10/17 which will be held at WOS. We just got back from a Disney trip (2/27 - 3/6). I'm not sure where I want to stay, kids don't care as long as they can swim and hit some parks. So here's the breakdown of projected expenses:

WDW:
POFQ - for 5 nights W/AAA disc - $682
3 day park hoppers from tourney - $484
Total = $1166
or
Universal:
Hard Rock - for 5 nights w/AAA disc - $1066
3 day passes w/AAA disc - $364
Total - $1430

The food will be a push as we have to eat no matter where we stay. If we stay at WDW we will only need transportation to/from airport (towncar $100), but if we stay at Universal we'll need to rent a car ($100+)

For the extra $265+ is it worth it to stay at Universal?

I just realized you posted over here as well. I do believe that if you call the hotel direct, they will tell you that they will accept the power pass for the discount. Also, you only need one AP for the discount. I checked your dates on the loews site and the AP rate was 146 per night at RPR and $167 per night at Hardrock. Since, your boys will be competing and time will be of the essence, I would go with Universal and FOTL even if it meant a little more money. Good luck no matter whay you choose.:wave2:

I would call and ask about the entertainment rate for one of the Universal hotels. We love Universal and since you were just at WDW you might enjoy a change.

T&B

Right, I would ask about the Ent. rate also, for the RPR, the hotel is beautiful.......... less expensive than hard rock, and you can still pool hop to the hard rock pool, if your sons prefer it.

The ENT rate for all the resorts is higher than the AAA rate.
For HRH: AAA = $191.20, ENT = $249, APH = $167
For RPR : AAA = $167, ENT = $209, APH = $146

So at this point the ENT rate is NO bargain. I'm thinking about getting an AP, but would prefer to get the Power AP, but not I want to take the chance.

Both are great places to visit. If I was given the choice (and having been to both Universal and Disney) I would pick the HRH. We had a less stressful time staying at the HRH and enjoying FOTL. There are great attractions at IOA and US. Disney is great but I felt that I needed more time to see everything and it was stressful. Just my opinion.

Just some advice: Once you go to Universal and experience front of the line (FOTL) privaledges, you'll never enjoy a Disney line, even with fastpass, ever again. So prepare to become spoiled.

If you are checking for Entertainment rates on the UO or Loews website, they are not going to come up. You have to call to find out what the Entertainment rates are for your dates. If you enter ENT, you will get rack rates and some other deals. I think that the $249 for HRH for your dates if for the Bed and Breakfast special - it includes breakfast for two each morning.
The $209 for RPR is the Stay/Play package and includes park passes for two. I would call them and ask about Entertainment rates for those dates.

Good luck.

I asked for room only for HRH, and was quoted for gardenview room $162 for the first 3 nights, then $192 for the last 2.
So that's $970 with the ENT rate versus $931 for the AP rate.

So now, back to the drawing board to come up with the "right combination" of resort discount and tickets. Who knew planning a "quick vacation" would be so exhausting!!!

OK I might sound like a dummy, but how do you get the entertainment rate? I have never been to Universal and was thinking about a quick trip in May for 3 nights. FOTL seems tempting to me, even if costs more to stay at an onsite hotel. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just call the 1-800-BE-A-STAR # and ask about discount rates for your nights. Ask about AAA, Fan Club, and Entertainment (and AP if you would consider an AP). If you get a good ent. rate you can then purchase the card if you don't already have it. You can get the book for your area and bring the actual card with you. If your trip is late fall or later make sure you wait and get the card that will be valid during your stay (I think the current card expires Nov 1 (or could be the 30th, I don't have mine in front of me).

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter