• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Transportation vs. Using Our Car??

Bill From PA

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That
We've always relied on WDW Transportation, using a car only to visit resorts. Last March we noticed long lines leaving AK about 1pm and there were some other waits of longer duration than we're used to. One of our friends swears by the use of her own car, rarely using WDW buses, etc. We stay on site. What's the consensus of opinion as to the car vs. bus question? My concern that the tram wait/ride to and from the parking lots would waste any time savings the car would gain us.

Bill From PA

We drive to WDW, so we obviously have a car, but we never used it. We tried it once or twice and hated it.

Yes, sometimes you do wait in line for the bus. But you can just stand under a shelter with a fan while you wait. You can even lean on the bars if you're tired. If you drive, you have to walk through the parking lot, and sometimes even wait in line for the tram if you're parked far back. If you have kids, you have to hang onto them because parking lots are never a safe place. Then you get in your car, and it's going to be hot, unless you happen to be in Florida the week that it's cool. With the bus, you have to wait, but I think a lot of times it still takes the same amount of time for the bus to come as it would to get to your car, and bus is climate controled. Instead of driving, you can unwind or plan your strategy for the park when you get off.

Sometimes we drive to WDW, so we do use our car, and like the flexability it provides as far as being able to leave the resort/parks when we want to, of go directly to DTD without having to bus hop. BUT, I ALWAYS use WDW transportation when going to the MK, the parking is just too inconvenient.

Every time we use them they are hot, stinky, and standing room only. They cram you in like sardines. If you try to get anywhere from DD, plan on a LONG wait! For a resort area that includes the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, I do not understand why they are using a form of transportation that was invented in the early part of the LAST century! WDW needs to learn a lesson from Vegas! We use our own car, boats, and monorail.

I've noticed the long wait leaving DD and PI in past years but last March AK joined the list of long waits on leaving. I'm leaning toward driving to AK and DD and any other non-park destinations and use the bus for park hopping. I wouldn't want to drive home from a night at PI either. A lot of our travel issues will be solved by our ressie at Dolphin. Thanks for the input.

Bill From PA

Just back from a week in WDW. Stayed at ASMo. The one day the line for MK was long,
We took the bus to epcot then monorail to TTC then ferry or monorail to MK>
didnt take long at all. We used our rental car to go to DD and seaworld. Overall the buses were ok. It was not extremely hot so the buses were ok. But you are packed like sardines.

We always rent a car. We use the Disney transports for theme parks; the car for anything else. We consider the theme park transports to and from hotels to be OK. We consider all others to be the reasons why a car is an absolute necessity. I can drive to another resort in 15 minutes, while it usually takes two busses to get from one resort to another and that often takes over an hour. Also, the busses between the resorts and Downtown Disney with all the stops there take far too long, often a 45 minute or longer trip in total--we usually stay at BW and the drive is 5 minutes to DD.

We just got back tonight (2-20). We always rent a car after flying down from Ohio. We use the busses for the parks only. We never waited more than 15-20 minutes for the busses to pick us up.
We like the convenience of our own car for getting to off-site restraunts,Pleasure Island,etc. :D

I know people who swear by having their own car, but I am very lazy when on vacation and prefer to rely on Disney's transportation. We rarely leave the property except to go to another attraction such as Universal where a shuttle is available. Even tho' it is often a pain to stand in line and to not be able to get a seat at peak times, for me it would be more annoying to have to figure out how to get around in a car, waiting in a line to get out of the parking lot, look for a parking spot, etc. We have been to WDW countless times and have NEVER rented a car.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

The first time we used the buses. But since then we always take our car. Never had a problem. We never had to walk that far to catch the tram or we just walk without taking it. Having your own car is much easier.

We now always use our car. After our very first "car-less" trip, wouldn't even consider taking a bus anywhere again The trams from the lots to the parks run often and very little wait time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter