WDW with a British accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly I enjoy hearing the British accent, but not 20+ times a day in WDW. Again, that's just me. Of course, in England it's to be expected, and I will have made a choice to go there as I have in the past. (For some, I'm sure, hearing the French accent 20+ times a day is too much...who knows?) Similarly, and I stress "similarly," I certainly wouldn't enjoy hearing the (insert any country/region here) accent 20+ times a day in WDW either, but at this point I'm willing (or, rather, begging) to hear something new. (Dutchmen, if you're reading this, please help!!) One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."

Is this for real???
I'm AMERICAN, right?
I've been to DW 14 times and more times are a comin!. I have no interest in seeing the rest of the US right now and I LIVE HERE! Who are you to say who should come to this country and not go where they want!? If you don't like what you're hearing (20 accents a day!) then don't go to DW!!

I never said British visitors should go elsewhere than WDW--just that there are other things to see right here in Florida, let alone elsewhere in the US. These places can be visited separately or concurrently with WDW. You can actually board a plane in Orlando airport for a domestic flight! How about that!! Isn't that neat? I know of someone who actually, *gasp*, flew from Orlando to Dallas, TX. I was shocked that could even be done. :yay:

If it's warmth you want, as many posters have indicated, the Florida Everglades area is warmer in the winter than the Orlando area. You won't find there, however, audio animatronics alligators and crocodiles. Sorry. Those animals are actually alive. I suppose the experience is more magical when you know the alligator (in WDW) won't eat your forearm as a snack. :scared1:

Certainly I enjoy hearing the British accent, but not 20+ times a day in WDW. Again, that's just me. Of course, in England it's to be expected, and I will have made a choice to go there as I have in the past. (For some, I'm sure, hearing the French accent 20+ times a day is too much...who knows?) Similarly, and I stress "similarly," I certainly wouldn't enjoy hearing the (insert any country/region here) accent 20+ times a day in WDW either, but at this point I'm willing (or, rather, begging) to hear something new. (Dutchmen, if you're reading this, please help!!) One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."

It's not truly a diverse "it's a small world" WDW if the complex is visited overwhelmingly by tourists of one area/region of the world, especially those tourists who have made WDW their only destination in the United States for years. Remember, England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK.

So, there you have it...we welcome your tourist dollars and your accents all over the United States not solely in WDW, for whom that applies. Cheers.

Oh my, I really hope this is a joke... this is discrimination! :eek:

I'll repeat what I said in my earlier post, I'm so glad the many hundreds of very friendly Americans I have come across in my travels (to WDW and Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California, Washington, New England, New York, Colorado and Illinois) don't think like you. I hope too that the Americans who bother to visit us over the pond (and indeed, if they only visit London, whats wrong with that?) aren't like you either.
I have never failed to be amazed at their lovely warmth and friendliness, their curiosity at my culture and their amazement at our travelling bug.

I'll repeat what I said in my earlier post, I'm so glad the many hundreds of very friendly Americans I have come across in my travels (to WDW and Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California, Washington, New England, New York, Colorado and Illinois) don't think like you. I hope too that the Americans who bother to visit us over the pond (and indeed, if they only visit London, whats wrong with that?) aren't like you either.
I have never failed to be amazed at their lovely warmth and friendliness, their curiosity at my culture and their amazement at our travelling bug.

I agree. All of the Americans I met at my trip around the USA (yes, I did travel across the USA, but who cares if people stick to one place? :confused3 ) were very nice and I'm glad I didn't run into people like this topic starter...:sad2:

I never said British visitors should go elsewhere than WDW--just that there are other things to see right here in Florida, let alone elsewhere in the US. These places can be visited separately or concurrently with WDW. You can actually board a plane in Orlando airport for a domestic flight! How about that!! Isn't that neat? I know of someone who actually, *gasp*, flew from Orlando to Dallas, TX. I was shocked that could even be done. :yay:

If it's warmth you want, as many posters have indicated, the Florida Everglades area is warmer in the winter than the Orlando area. You won't find there, however, audio animatronics alligators and crocodiles. Sorry. Those animals are actually alive. I suppose the experience is more magical when you know the alligator (in WDW) won't eat your forearm as a snack. :scared1:

It's not truly a diverse "it's a small world" WDW if the complex is visited overwhelmingly by tourists of one area/region of the world, especially those tourists who have made WDW their only destination in the United States for years. Remember, England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK.

So, there you have it...we welcome your tourist dollars and your accents all over the United States not solely in WDW, for whom that applies. Cheers.

So how many british people are allowed in you little world? I go to disneyworld because I want to and don't get treated like a freak for travelling solo. Don't worry though you will not be hearing my accent next year, Norway and China are my holiday choices next year I "fink".

So how come you know that all the british people you only hear at WDW will not travel to the Grand Canyon after their WDW trip? Maybe there are also thousands of british people at the Grand Canyon, how do you know, do you check all the destinations in the US? And you know that this board is for Disney lovers who are most likely to just go to Disney? And ever thought about that they already might have visited another place in the US but that WDW is more fun to return to or that it`s their first time there? I really do not get your point.:confused3 So why do you go to Disney if the warmth can also be found in the Everglades and alligators are more fascinating than animatronics?
Greetings from the land of the trolls;) :wizard:

This is nasty. I don't detect sarcasm in the OP just ignorance, and hate. Remember the OP is anunhappy and bitter person to carry around that much dislike, so why bother trying to defend. Anyone with an accent should talk louder in the hope it pushes OP right over the end.

Oh my, you really are a sarcastic git aren't you!!!

It's really clever that you have domestic flights in America. I was very impressed when I used them to visit Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago and New York. I have also visited other parts of Florida but I did that in a car. I also travelled to the Grand Canyon by coach when I was in Las Vegas.

If you don't like hearing accents 20+ times a day stay at home. You'll be doing us all a favour.

QUICK!
Everyone run and hide :rolleyes1
Be very quiet, shhhh :rolleyes:
She will find another place to play and we can resume having fun with our friends across the pond :goodvibes

Attn British DIS'ers: The OP does not represent the opinions of the board. We love you :banana: In fact, some of us even marry you ;)

Its not just Florida we love, as you can see from my signature. But Florida does hold a special place as it is like 'being home' when ever we visit. Although for diversity I must say I think my favourite trip of all was last summers from San Francisco to Las Vegas via Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
As for visiting other countries I have been to France, Spain, Greece, Belgium, The Netherlands, Russia and Canada. There are so many places in the world we want to visit but the US is so huge that there are so many places to visit there as well.

Claire ;)

Yup, that last comment did it, WDWPinCollector. You definitely crossed the line.

So, all you British who read this post...come on over again and again! Los Angeles, San Francisco, The Grand Canyon, New York City, Washington, DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Mount Rushmore, Seattle, Boston, New England, New Orleans, Phoenix, New Mexico, the Florida Everglades, Dallas, and other places in the United States--they're all waiting for your tourist dollars! Cheers.

same could be said back... most americans come to the Uk to visit London, come on over again and again!
come to snowdonia,wales, glasgow, edinburgh, stonhenge, york,Liverpool, newcastle, etc come and see all the castles and the beautiful countryside, they're all waiting for your tourist pounds!
How about coming over to the uk community boards in the first place and asking why we brits go to the US of A....

Is this for real???
I'm AMERICAN, right?
I've been to DW 14 times and more times are a comin!. I have no interest in seeing the rest of the US right now and I LIVE HERE! Who are you to say who should come to this country and not go where they want!? If you don't like what you're hearing (20 accents a day!) then don't go to DW!!

well said :thumbsup2

:lmao: amazing isn't it? even George W bush and Tony Blair between them took years to alienate a nation?:lmao:

I have a feeling this one is headed toward lockdown, so I'll hurry to get my two cents in here quick! :laughing:

UK visitors -- in fact, visitors from all over the world -- I, as an American citizen, am delighted to have you visit the United States -- you are welcome here! :welcome: Bring your accents, your cultures, your traditions, your languages. It's the diverse backgrounds and heritages of our people that make America the wonderful, unique country it is.

The idea of global harmony and peace and communication between nations was obviously near and dear to Walt Disney's heart -- just look at the Epcot World Showcase, and the sentiment of It's a Small World. The beloved Disney animated movies are stories from cultures and traditions all over the world: Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Lion King.

We are all posting here because we love the magic of a Disney Vacation -- including the OP who is an AP holder and collects Disney pins? :rolleyes: The OP obviously loves Disney vacations, too...and there is plenty of magic to go around, it's not in limited supply.

So yes, UK visitors (and those from any other countries), please don't be put off by the less than kind comments of a few...or of one. Come visit us!!! :goodvibes

This is a little off-topic, but I'm (MamaBear, actually) laughing because I had completely forgotten (until now) about the time my family went to the Grand Canyon when I was fourteen, and I followed a family from England around because I was totally in love with Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews (Brideshead Revisited had been shown on PBS recently, I suppose) and I wanted to hear their accents. I probably thought I was being subtle, but they must've thought I was a complete nut.

The more diverse things get, the happier we are as parents of a child from another culture. I hope the OP simply made a poor word choice ("difficulty") and didn't mean to insult anyone. Communicating through e-mail can be awfully tricky sometimes.....

England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK.
You're missing the point. We're not so unintelligent as to believe WDW is the "sole" destination in the US, but vacation time is limited and so it is understandable that we, or anyone else, should choose to spend it in places in which we feel comfortable and at ease (and I'm certainly not going to be pressurised into thinking otherwise by anyone, let alone someone as small-minded as you are presenting yourself). I'm assuming you're focusing on Alton Towers because it's a theme park, but that's to totally misunderstand the attraction of WDW. It isn't that it's a theme park, it's that it's a destination in itself. Like it or not, it is on a par with many major cities of the world and it has put your hometown on the map. As a visitor to the UK, you're likely to major on our well-known tourist attractions. It doesn't follow that there aren't many more places more worthy of your vacation dollar, or your attention, but we are big enough to forgive you for not grasping the fact.

One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."
Thats absolute rubbish because most brits do not say "fink". All parks of the UK have different accents just like the US do not everyone say words in the same way!

Remember, England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK..

:rotfl: I hardly think you can compare Alton Towers to WDW - its probably about the size of the Magic Kingdom car park!! And have you not visited the other theme parks? Chessington, Thorpe Park ;)

Certainly I enjoy hearing the British accent, but not 20+ times a day in WDW.

Prehaps you can pop a post on the UK forum when your expecting to visit WDW? Maybe limit some of those pesky British accents - although after readin your comments i would probably hastily arrange another trip just to come to WDW and loudly comment on how "ghastly" the weather is!

I welcome any UK visitors to Orlando and the parks. Please don't think we are all like one poster here! I love meeting new people from around the world.

I have a feeling this one is headed toward lockdown, so I'll hurry to get my two cents in here quick! :laughing:

UK visitors -- in fact, visitors from all over the world -- I, as an American citizen, am delighted to have you visit the United States -- you are welcome here! :welcome: Bring your accents, your cultures, your traditions, your languages. It's the diverse backgrounds and heritages of our people that make America the wonderful, unique country it is.

The idea of global harmony and peace and communication between nations was obviously near and dear to Walt Disney's heart -- just look at the Epcot World Showcase, and the sentiment of It's a Small World. The beloved Disney animated movies are stories from cultures and traditions all over the world: Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Lion King.

We are all posting here because we love the magic of a Disney Vacation -- including the OP who is an AP holder and collects Disney pins? :rolleyes: The OP obviously loves Disney vacations, too...and there is plenty of magic to go around, it's not in limited supply.

So yes, UK visitors (and those from any other countries), please don't be put off by the less than kind comments of a few...or of one. Come visit us!!! :goodvibes

I totally agree with this! And as a WDW CM, let me tell you, I LOVE to walk around and hear ALL the different accents of the world. So come one, come all! You are welcome here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter