WDW wouldn't trade my friend's Sedesma pins..

Well here is the "scoop" I got on these pins....

While I was at World of Disney at DTD this past weekend, I was talking to one of my favorite managers, Jim about this.

He said they are not tradeabe at WDW anymore. Although they may be "licensed" by Disney, because they are not the same "quality" as your Cloissene type pin, they were no longer tradeable. As a matter of fact as I was approaching him, he was taking one off of his lanyard and broke the pin back off. And it was a Lilo pin. That's what prompted me to ask him.

So there ya go!
Winnie

And again they have no right to make that decision. If the quality is high enough for Disney to accept royalties, it should be high enough to trade. Walt would be having a hissy about this. Of course Roy would probably have never licensed Sedesma, but that's not the "guest's" fault, now is it? So now guests get screwed twice? They buy legit Disney product and it's lower quality than they expected and then they can't trade them because the quality is too low for Disney? I suspect the fact that they traded them in the past may set s precedent that they could run into problems with legally anyway.

I hope the policy of not accepting Sedesma pins does not spill over to the pins made in China. Has anyone had any problems trading the Disney China pins? They are of the same quality as the regular Disney pins - not lightweight like the Sedesma pins.

Any thoughts on these?????:confused:

Hey Goofy, I'm sorry for the bad news. Just remember, don't shoot the messenger! Just kidding.

As a side point, for a pin they aren't trading, I sure did see alot of them on CM Lanyards at Tink event. I mean not big bunches but yes, quite a few.

Keep smiling,
Winnie

I think I have seen it all now.
Guess what pin Blaine saw on a CM lanyard yesterday in MK?
Anyone else get the small, cheap plastic flag pin everyone was handed on July 4th? The one that is as cheap as cheap can be and does not read Disney anywhere on it...::yes::
Now since THAT was accepted, a Spain pin should be treated like gold. :jester:

Bear: Not shooting you, just frustrated with the continuous degradation in the Disney experience that has been occuring. Granted, Sedesma can somewhat be considered "cheating the system" a bit, but then again so is All Stars, etc. Not everyone can afford the most expensive Disney experience out there.

If Disney never accepted them, or explicitly stated in their literature that they don't accept them that would be one thing.

The plastic flag comment is hillarious. That is obviously against the trading rules but then again the CM may not be trying to trade it. They often have untradable pins on their lanyard because they like them...

Just to play devil's advocate, Disney has every right to decide which pins they will or will not accept for trading. It's their parks and their pins to trade. The rubber pins have always been against the trading rules and they are Disney copyrighted.

That's not to say I agree completely with it. Maybe they could have the Sedesma tradable only with the kids lanyards, since a lot of people seem to get those to have a lot of traders for their kids.

I'm sure WDW didn't make the decision lightly. They probably received a lot of complaints from guests who were disappointed to see a ton of the less desirable pins on the lanyards and in the books, so they had to make a change to keep them happy. What would have been better is if TPTB at WDW had publicized the change, either through their website or by contacting folks at websites such as dizpins.com, dizneypins.com, or even sites like the DIS that exist for sharing Disney vacation information.

in 2001 with the Sedesma pins at WDW and they temporarily suspended trading with them ....

I think the CM and management does not really care trading for Sedesma pins when they appear once in a while, but i did notice there are some sellers on ebay now offering large amounts of them and when a family starts spreading hundreds of them for "regular " park pins this might cause some problems !

I know for unexperienced traders and ebay buyers it is sometimes hard to see the difference in the pins they are buying !

And again Sedesma is a well known, and honest pin manufacturer in Spain ( large company !!! ) with an official Disney licence. They are producing their style of pins for years ( and not only disney ) and sell them for a small amount everywhere in the country .. ( if i remember correctly they are between 50 and 60 cents retail price ).

So they are totally "legal" disney pins, but WDW might change their rules of pintrading whenever they want and probably will even decline trading for Disney store pins if they want .. WDW park - WDW rules.....

So if they choose to not trade these pins in the future it might be the fault of us pintraders, trading too many of them in the parks ......

For example Disneyland Paris did recently change their trading rules and does not accept the old sponsor pins ( Kodak, BNP... ) any longer for CM trades, even if they have a Disney character and an official copyright on them ...

The reason ??? Some people did get hold of overstock and were cleaning out CM lanyards every other day with these pins ...

So if we all play nice we will all be able to trade any Disney pins in the future at WDW and DL, if not they might limit the trading to park pins only. This seems to be the reason for the park copyright on the pinbacks since 2000 anyway !!!

Stephan

PS: I love some of the Sedesma pins and have them in my collection, but i hate others of them, too ....

I won't claim to be a pin collector I just buy pins for my girls to trade. My question would be why would you want to trade pins if you could only trade for park pins? I understand that there are certain pins that only CM's have and I am sure there are collectors that want those but wouldn't it just be easier for the kids and casual traders to just go into the pin stores and buy the pins that they want?

Also who makes the decision on something like this. I wonder if it is official Disney policy or something just a few CM's decided. One thing I have learned when plannnig a trip to WDW is that if you don't like the answer a CM gave you call back in 10 minutes and talk with someone else and you will get a different answer.

Mike

All this stuff is fine and good. Sure, DIsney can do what they want. My main complaint is that they PUBLISHED the rules and these pins are LEGAL by the rules. So now if I purchase some Sedesma pins hving been told that they are tradable by the seller and friends and knowing that their make-up is legal by the official rules, and Disney changes those rules "UNOFFICIALLY" then they @#$@# well better either trade them or pay me back for them or they are going to lose me as a customer. If this is how they are going to treat their guests, I'll sell off my collection and never buy another pin again. Simply because they shafted me.

It's real simple. Explicitly publish that Sedesma pins are not tradable IN YOUR RULEBOOK (@odpt.com), give it at least a month, then cut them off. You can't just make changes like this willy nilly because you cost people money.

If I go to the park and there is nothing but Sedesma pins on the lanyards, I'm not out any money, I just don't trade as much and maybe have less fun and maybe I complain. (Keep in mind that some Sedesma pins are nice and people would trade for them and just because I don't like one doesn't mean someone else won't). How many times have you traded what you considered to be a "junk" pin to a CM only to have your kid trade for the same pin right after?

If I go to the park with Sedesma pins and they change the rules on me, I'm out money so I definitely have less fun, I'm definitely ticked, and I definitely am going to fight with some CMs, their managers, and whomever else I can go up the chain of command to.

It's not always about the bottom like no matter what Eisner thinks. You still have to consider the ramifications for your decisions.

Hi Mike...

the idea is to find retired pins from 1999 - now and the CM exclusive pins on the lanyards as well and get pins that are no longer sold or never will be sold.
Sure you can probably buy a lot of pins on the racks, but that would be true for ebay as well.

The fun is to hunt for things you cannot find anywhere else, at least it is for me when our family goes to WDW :-)

WDW does a great job refreshing their lanyards with LE, prototypes and all kinds of different stuff every day, so i think they just do not want these cheaper pins on their lanyards every day for their "full price " park pins...

And as always.... this is a fun thing to do , an "extra" that adds to the park experience ...imho

If this would be the main reason for a trip to WDW and my trip would be ruined because i cannot trade any of my pins with a CM my family would probably ask me to find another hobby or go somewhere else on VACATION ;-)

Stephan

"the idea is to find retired pins from 1999 - now and the CM exclusive pins on the lanyards as well and get pins that are no longer sold or never will be sold.
Sure you can probably buy a lot of pins on the racks, but that would be true for ebay as well."

Hi Stephan,

I would agree that this is the idea for collectors but in our case the only people that we will have trading on our trip are my two girls (3 and 7) and my two nephews (2 and 6) and none of them will care about these pins specifically. That's not to say they won't see one that they like and trade for it but they won't search for them. So if I am going to have to pay 6 or 7 dollars for new pins to trade for pins it seems like it would be simpler for me to let the kids spend time in the pin stores at DTD and pick out the pins they want to keep from the thousands available as opposed to having them find some that they want to trade in the store. I would think that the kids and non-collectors would be a very important part of the pin trading process. I would guess that when LE pins get in the collectors hands that is where they stay. On the other hand if one of my kids got an LE last year that they no longer like they will trade it this year and it will be available again. I am not a pin collector but I do collect toy tractors and I do get obsesed about it often so I understand the excitment that people that collect pins get when they find a pin they like but I think if Disney limits the rules too much they will only have the true collectors trading pins and when the pins they want are no longer on lanyards the trading will stop for the day. It wouldn't suprise me to see any of the kids that will be with us trade a nice LE pin of Woody or something that they didn't like for a cheap pin of a princess. I don't think a true collector would do that which isn't wrong but it does limit Disney's ability to trade anything but the most sought after pins.

As I said I am not a pin trader so I haven't really paid attention to what pins are available for trade by CM's so I am curious as to how long the pins you mentioned stay on the lanyards. It would seem to me that there are enough people that are looking for these pins that they would disappear quickly.

Like Goofy42 my concern is that according to the rules you can trade these pins. If you can't they should change the rules and post them where people can see them.

Does anyone know where these pins are sold? Obviously they aren't manufactured just for people to sell on Ebay. Are they sold at Disneyland Paris?

As you said this is just and extra and we will have a great time pins or no pins.

Mike

I agree, I don't think "pins" is going to make or break someone's trip or vacation unless that's all they're doing. We are a couple of hours away from the parks so we go there all the time. I started purchasing pins about a year and a half ago on occasions but never seriously. Then a CM gave my kids a couple of (what I would have called cheapy) pins. we bought my son his lanyard shortly thereafter and started learning about trading. Within a couple of months we all had lanyards but hadn't really traded any pins as we only had pins that we purchased because we wanted them. Eventually we all traded a couple of pins and it was kinda fun so we were hooked. Then my wife bought me a trading book to put pins in. Well, an empty book demands to be filled and it was all over.

Since then I've been searching ebay for people selling off their collections or otherwise closing out pins. Some were to keep and others just to have some to trade. I came across a set of pins that turned out to be Sedesmas. I haven't tried to trade them yet but still believe these to be tradable. Until this thread and a negative feedback shortly after I purchased for the same seller regarding the untradability I didn't even suspect there to be any issue. I knew they were licensed and not bootleg pins and that they meet the tradability guidelines and others have traded them. Since Disney has always accepted these until now I fully expect them to accept them or reimburse me. Frankly anything short of that is not right. I can quit this hobby just as quickly as I got turned onto it. (I think my wife would be glad because I've probably spent too much building my collection).

Oh well. I'm used to having to escalate issues with CMs these days. Far too many CMs don't want to be there and don't care about the company or their guests. Seems I (thanks to my guest-of-honor pin and lanyard that in spite of my "casual" attire apparently makes me look like a CM) end up assisting other guests more than a lot of CMs can be bothered with. I've also put up with a lot of garbage (poor service, low quality, etc) that I may no longer be able to ignore.

Not all CMs are bad, in fact the term "a lot" is probably not even fair, but it has gotten to be much too large of a problem. Walt would be very disappointed. Frankly it's generally not the CMs fault either, usually there's some suit decision behind the problem.

That said, I'd still probably work there given the opportunity so it hasn't lost all of its magic yet.

Hi Mike ..

Sedesma pins are only sold in spain. You can buy them at supermarkets, corner shops .... nearly everywhere.
They are not allowed to sell them in any other country, because disney licenses the rights to manufacture pins country by country and i can tell you you will have to sell a lot of pins to cover just the licence costs ( last figure i did hear was 130.000 USD a year plus royalties just for germany !! )

WDW has thousands of CM lanyards and they yre refreshed during the day and when the shifts change during the day. So even if there are hundreds of pintraders hunt for "good " pins there is plenty of them left for everyone !!

Go look for them in places the average park visitor does not go to .. ( Toontown tent , resort hotels , world of sports, ...)
I know emporium only at main street USA has 100+ lanyards in the shop !

So take a close look and maybe you will find something really nice !
My little boy is 2 years old now and already has his little pin lanyard and as soon as he can speak :-) i am sure he will go for the pin lanyards ...

Disneyland Paris has their own collection of pins and do all their designs with their own artists , quality is like in the US parks.
You can see and search for them at www.pinpics.com !

TTFN

Stephan

Originally posted by megaelch
Disneyland Paris has their own collection of pins and do all their designs with their own artists , quality is like in the US parks.
You can see and search for them at www.pinpics.com !

Can you trade these pins (Disneyland Paris) at WDW? What about pins that say Euro Disney?

Mike

A lot of EuroDisney and Disney Paris pins are bootlegs so check PinPics first, but if they are legit DisneyParis/EuroDisney pins and they meet the requirements in the rulebook, then you should be able to trade them.

Hi Mike...

the pins that say Eurodisney are from 1992 - 1994 where the resort in France had a different name. This was changed to Disneyland Paris and again changed 2 years ago to Disneyland Resort Paris.

These pins are not bootleg pins, or have ever been considered bootleg pins. Some of them are pins from sponsors like for example the BNP bank, Kodak, Nestle and other were made at the resort.

All these pins can be traded at WDW and the CM are more than happy to see anything different to "Movie Poster Disney Store 99 cent pins " and usually as soon as i traded these pins to CM lanyards they were gone 30 minutes later !!!

There are a few bootleg pins known in europe ( especially any character pins with Coca- Cola and / or McDonalds and disney characters together ) but they have nothing to do with the paris resort.

You can see their monthly releases on the webpage :
www.disneylandparis.com and then go to pintrading and the monthly releases. This page will be updated at the beginning of every month !

If you like to trade for them i will be happy to be your european trading buddy !

Stephan

I should have said a lot of the EuroDIsney and DLP pins you find on ebay are bootlegs. Actually, I guess most of my exposure was searching for co-branded pins and almost all of them that said Euro or Paris were fakes (most of them coke). This was all searching on ebay.

I in no way meant to imply that all DLP and EuroDisney pins are bootleg (nor did I say that). There are some eurodisney and dl paris bootleg pins, but not near as many as there are legit. I'm just saying, if you're purchasing a lot on ebay, check it out at pinpics first, if it sounds too good to be true.....you know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter