We’re Still Awake! An August MNSSHP Trip Report (Complete 4/10/21)

What a fantastic whirlwind day! I am exhausted just reading about it! 😂
I love your little photo shoot at Sir Mickey’s. I tried to fit in our trip last year but we completely forgot about it... those happy faces are the best!
and how great that your daughters were able to enjoy their sibling getting picked as the Beast in EtwB - I can imagine how hard it must be on them sometimes when they don’t get the same exact treatment (I know it is for my kids and they aren’t triplets!) - so it’s quite amazing that they were so cheerful about it!
Really enjoying your trip report! Thanks for posting!!!

I am amazed that it stayed so empty for so long! You lucked out big time!

Now that they knew what to expect from the ride itself, it was time to tackle the preshow. We gently reminded the girls that it was “silly-scary” and, though they clung to us a little tightly, they still came out with smiles on their faces. T
The stretching room is def the scariest part of the whole ride.

ext up was a ride Under the Sea, which I just don’t think get’s enough credit. Maybe it’s just because The Little Mermaid was my jam (I had the comforter set and everything) but I don’t see why it’s so unpopular.
We love Under the Sea ride. It def is overlooked a bit.

“He does use antlers in his decorating!” and Hubby and I about lost it. I can’t hear that song now without giggling.
I also love Gaston's Tavern. It is perfect and exactly what it would look like in the movie.

Can I tell you how much I love these photos? That’s what real joy looks like in Disney: hair a mess, face flushed, maybe a hint of early sunburn on the cheeks, but huge smiles all around!
It is true though! The more messy and sweaty the more fun you are having.

As luck would have it, the family in front of us was a dad with college-age daughter and they were happy to take a hitchhiker.
Perfect! It seems strange that you can't have the 2 girls in front of you. I mean, really what are you going to do during the ride.

At 4:00pm, it was really time to leave after a terrifically magical Disney day.
That was a great last day!

I don't think you could have planned a better day at the Magic Kingdom!

We really couldn't have. Part of the fun was how unexpected everything was. If we went in knowing it would be empty, then the surprise factor would be missing.

I also have a Pecos Bill incident from 2019, in which I ended up in the Magic Kingdom First Aid Center for ice and OTC pain meds. :headache:

Oh, dear, that sounds painful! I'm impressed that you didn't scream. If I had done that, they'd have heard me from Pirates :-)

What a fantastic whirlwind day! I am exhausted just reading about it! 😂
I love your little photo shoot at Sir Mickey’s. I tried to fit in our trip last year but we completely forgot about it... those happy faces are the best!
and how great that your daughters were able to enjoy their sibling getting picked as the Beast in EtwB - I can imagine how hard it must be on them sometimes when they don’t get the same exact treatment (I know it is for my kids and they aren’t triplets!) - so it’s quite amazing that they were so cheerful about it!
Really enjoying your trip report! Thanks for posting!!!

It was exhausting and incredible all wrapped up in one.

I was really impressed with how the girls did at EtwB. Don't get me wrong, they can definitely have their jealous and competitive moments. But, as they get older, they seem to be growing into doing more supporting and cheerleading of each other and less fighting for top spot. I'm sure it's just a phase and they'll be at each others' throats at other ages, but I'll take it while I can get it!!!

I am amazed that it stayed so empty for so long! You lucked out big time!

It was empty for so much longer than I could have guessed. We had the best luck!

It seems strange that you can't have the 2 girls in front of you. I mean, really what are you going to do during the ride.

I also find this odd. I can understand more on a ride like Dumbo where a kid could theoretically start trying to wiggle around the lap belt and get up. On Space, not only can they not do that, but there's not a ton I could do from behind them if something went wrong!

August Day Five: Magic Kingdom Extra Extra Magic Hours and Departure (conclusion)

We timed our park exit just right. We had just enough time to collect our bags and use the bathrooms before ME came to pick us up. As we were pulling away, I realized I had once again forgotten to use my gift card to pay off our room charges. After a little searching on my phone, I figured out the actual number to call the Contemporary front desk and explained my situation. The CM was able to pull up our room and charge the gift card over the phone with minimal hassle. She said it was a good thing I had called that day because, if they had charged our credit card overnight, a reversal would have a much more involved ordeal.

When we got to the airport, we had to split up to go through security. Only Hubby has precheck but, so far, that had been enough so that the rest of us booked together had lucked into it was well. This flight, however, was not booked on the same reservation. Earlier in the summer, Hubby had been on a work trip with an overbooked return flight. He opted to get bumped in exchange for a voucher which was enough to fly three of us home. Vouchers can’t be booked on the same reservation as cash with American, so he had A and B on his confirm number with precheck while C and I were on our own.

I arrived at the regular security line at 5:44 and it wasn’t crowded at all. However, that didn’t make this trip through security any less stressful! Taking out all of the electronics, food, and liquids meant I needed three bins, plus we had two personal items, one bag, and a stroller to send through the x-ray machine. Then, on the other side, I was trying to put everything back in the correct spots while C “helped” in that way that only young children can- by making it even worse. I also have a strong dislike of getting in the way or forcing other people to wait for me. The security line wasn’t long and no one was giving me grief for how much time it took me to resituate, but I felt like I was holding everyone up. I might need to suck it up and get my own precheck when we start traveling again.

We met back up, took the shuttle out to our concourse, and quickly realized most of the food options were back in the main terminal. The couple of places that were open were pretty busy, but we managed to find a table at quick service place with surprisingly good sandwiches. Our flight was running on time, boarding with uneventful, and we were soon on our way back to PHL.

The last time we flew into Philly, two thirds of children vomited in the air, so we were doing things a little differently. They could listen to music but no screens were allowed; the attendant on the earlier flight said videos during flights trigger motion sickness sometimes. After a long couple of days, and with minimal distractions, they eventually fell asleep.

nkQQiAMl.jpg

By the time the flight landed, all three girls were asleep and no air sickness bags had been needed. Hubby and I made eye contact across the row for a mini-celebration, but we hadn’t crossed the finish line yet. When the plane was stopped, the lights came on, and everyone started standing up, A and B woke up and started throwing up on and around Hubby. I couldn’t get across the aisle to help him because everyone was standing, but I needn’t have worried about being left out. C was a couple minutes behind her sisters, but also stirred and joined in on the digestive fireworks.

While all of this was going on, the aisles were full of people getting their bags from the overheads, so the attendant couldn’t get to us to help. I started calling out, asking if anyone nearby had plastic bags or wipes they could give us, and fellow passengers were kind enough to pass them to our row. Actually, the bags got there in time that I had one in hand when C started vomiting, so hers at least stayed contained (in a Disney parks bag, no less!). Hubby and I started wiping up kids with someone’s kindly offered Pampers wipes. Eventually, people disembarked and the attendants got to us with real trash bags to collect our messes.

We loaded the half-awake kids into strollers and made a beeline for the bathroom. Hubby had gotten hit pretty hard, so he wanted to wipe up. Meanwhile, I took the girls to rinse and spit a few times and we all washed our hands. By the time we were done in the bathroom, the bag was waiting for us at baggage claim, so we quickly got a shuttle to our car and headed home.

While the flight ended on a sour note, our extra special day in Magic Kingdom was more than we ever could have imagined. As you all know, news spread quickly in the Disney community that EEMH at MK and AK were offering crazy low waits for those lucky enough to partake. However, with it being the first day, we genuinely didn’t know what to expect and were blown away by how few people we encountered until well into the late morning. We felt the same giddiness that we had at the end of our date night when they kept TSL running after park closing. However, this time we didn’t have to suffer through hours of disappointment and a power outage to get there plus we were able to share it with the kids. It was the kind of amazing Disney day you can’t plan for or replicate.

Wrap Up and Final Thoughts

The come down from this trip wasn’t nearly as hard as March had been, probably because we had Labor Day weekend and then school was starting. As we unpacked, we marveled at the sheer volume of Halloween candy we collected…

evbWKI2l.jpg

… and the girls insisted on another fancy photoshoot, this time with their umbrellas from the China pavilion.

SycX4rbl.jpg

In the lead up to our August trip, I kept feeling like we were being terribly irresponsible. We had just had a long, expensive, full trip with the girls and we didn’t need to be going back so soon. Obviously, it didn’t feel irresponsible enough to cancel or anything, just enough to keep second guessing. Hubby was more sure of things. He was committed to working enough overtime so that the trip didn’t tap into our regular salary or savings; he was going to put in the hours to cover this trip in full. I reminded him that the fact that it was overtime didn’t mean it wasn’t real money and that we should consider what else we might spend it on. He countered that he wouldn’t work the crazy hours if he didn’t have this to look forward to. And so it was that he ended up working some insane, 70 hour weeks to make it happen. We also got creative with airline miles, BJs discounted gift cards, convention tickets, you name it! Still, at least for me, it lent the whole trip an edge of feeling like I was getting away with something. My normally reasoned, cautious, prudent, frugal self was being none of those things, and it was fun!

This trip also felt a lot lighter than our visit in the spring. I had planned that for a year, vacillating on which meals to book, how to tour, and how much the girls would be able to handle each day. It was all worth it, as we had an incredible trip, but it all felt like there was so much riding on me to make that a perfect vacation. For August, we weren’t trying to fit it all in, as we’d done so much earlier that year. I still planned the heck out of it, especially the Halloween party, but there were only a few absolute must-dos that I felt pressure to achieve. It also helped that we had better luck than I even thought possible: the EEMH was unprecedented, the girls stayed up hours later than I thought they could, and even a bummer rainy night turned awesome when Disney kept the park open extra late for the handful of us that stuck it out through the storm!

Here, a year into a worldwide pandemic, I am beyond grateful to my 2019 self for going a little nuts and throwing in the second trip. I cherish those memories so much, seeing my sweet little girls hugging the dwarfs and beaming at Mary Poppins. We don’t know yet how much this pandemic will change the parks, our communities, or ourselves in the long-term. While I’m sure we will have other trips to the world that will be magical in their own right, this one will always have a special place as a joyous vacation from “before”.

The ending to your flight sounds absolutely awful! :scared:
However, the rest of that day sounds like it was marvelous, so I guess it all worked out.
Thanks for sharing your trip report - I enjoyed reading it!

thanks for sharing your trip report! It was really fun to follow your crazy adventures!

Sorry you had to deal with vomiting children at landing... I have such a hard time not throwing up myself when I see someone vomit... so having 3 vomiting kids to take care of is my absolute worst nightmare!!! 🤢

The umbrella photo shoot is the cutest 🥰

Here, a year into a worldwide pandemic, I am beyond grateful to my 2019 self for going a little nuts and throwing in the second trip.
Looking back, I am sure it must feel like the greatest decision you made!
I don’t know about you, but I feel like this pandemic has made me appreciate a lot more of what we took for granted... and I know I will be much more likely to seize every opportunity for vacation!

I might need to suck it up and get my own precheck when we start traveling again.
Do it! I did it after our adults only trip and the security at Orlando Airport was literally like cattle all pushed together. And It is the best!!!! We travel with some many electronics and stuff. It is a thousand times better!

When the plane was stopped, the lights came on, and everyone started standing up, A and B woke up and started throwing up on and around Hubby. I couldn’t get across the aisle to help him because everyone was standing, but I needn’t have worried about being left out. C was a couple minutes behind her sisters, but also stirred and joined in on the digestive fireworks.
OMG! Those poor girls! Do they do it only on the way home? Is the combination of being exhausted and motion sickness!?!

Hubby and I started wiping up kids with someone’s kindly offered Pampers wipes. Eventually, people disembarked and the attendants got to us with real trash bags to collect our messes.
Ugh, you would think the people standing in the alseway would move or something?!!?

So cute!

Here, a year into a worldwide pandemic, I am beyond grateful to my 2019 self for going a little nuts and throwing in the second trip. I cherish those memories so much, seeing my sweet little girls hugging the dwarfs and beaming at Mary Poppins
I am so thankful how all of our trips fell right before the pandemic, too! I almost feel like we knew and squeezed in as much disney as we could.

Ahh I'm sorry the girls ended up getting sick right at the very end :(

But I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! And knowing what you know now about the pandemic, it really makes the trip that much more special!

You guys, I’ll be the first to admit that this was not my best moment, but I was getting super upset. Who gets coffee during prime ride time? Every minute we waited was just going to make not only the BTMRR wait longer, but every wait thereafter. Hadn’t they been keeping up with Josh on EasyWDW?? (They had not). This was not the way to optimize our morning touring!
I'm the same way, you can use the bathroom after the morning touring time is over! DH is the worst about it, he drinks lots of water and coffee first thing, which means we are always waiting on him.

he had A and B on his confirm number with precheck while C and I were on our own.

FYI - kids under 11 can use the precheck line with the precheck adult even if it isn't on their boarding pass.

Here, a year into a worldwide pandemic, I am beyond grateful to my 2019 self for going a little nuts and throwing in the second trip. I cherish those memories so much, seeing my sweet little girls hugging the dwarfs and beaming at Mary Poppins. We don’t know yet how much this pandemic will change the parks, our communities, or ourselves in the long-term. While I’m sure we will have other trips to the world that will be magical in their own right, this one will always have a special place as a joyous vacation from “before”.
What a wonderful trip you all had! Hope the world goes back to normal eventually and you are able to take many more like that.

The ending to your flight sounds absolutely awful! :scared:
However, the rest of that day sounds like it was marvelous, so I guess it all worked out.
Thanks for sharing your trip report - I enjoyed reading it!

The ending of the flight was awful, but even that couldn't overshadow the incredible day.

Thanks for reading along!

Sorry you had to deal with vomiting children at landing... I have such a hard time not throwing up myself when I see someone vomit... so having 3 vomiting kids to take care of is my absolute worst nightmare!!! 🤢

I'm also a sympathetic gagger. At home, Hubby is the vomit person whenever possible. I'm lucky I didn't add to the pile!

Looking back, I am sure it must feel like the greatest decision you made!
I don’t know about you, but I feel like this pandemic has made me appreciate a lot more of what we took for granted... and I know I will be much more likely to seize every opportunity for vacation!

100% yes, such a good call to go twice! And, yeah, we're pretty much planning on throwing the budget out the window for future vacations when we can take them safely. :-)

OMG! Those poor girls! Do they do it only on the way home? Is the combination of being exhausted and motion sickness!?!

So far, they've only done it on the way home. Although, we also got to go check out a flight simulator in December 2019 and C tossed. My cousin is a flight instructor for a living, so the simulator was real deal, looked like we were flying, and it got us all a little wonky. We started for home and had to stop at a Wawa 10 minutes later for C to vomit. We're thinking, going forward, we can't have a park day complete with rollercoasters and treats and then also fly that night. Flights will have to be non-park days where only wholesome foods have been consumed. We're also thinking of seabands the day of and kids dramomine the day before to see if that helps as well.

I am so thankful how all of our trips fell right before the pandemic, too! I almost feel like we knew and squeezed in as much disney as we could.

Totally, you guys picked a great year to do APs!

Ahh I'm sorry the girls ended up getting sick right at the very end :(

But I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! And knowing what you know now about the pandemic, it really makes the trip that much more special!

Thanks! It was a great trip, even if the flight home wasn't.

I'm the same way, you can use the bathroom after the morning touring time is over!

In retrospect, it seems silly I was so annoyed given how empty the park stayed. But, in the moment, I didn't know how things were going to work out and those minutes felt so important!

FYI - kids under 11 can use the precheck line with the precheck adult even if it isn't on their boarding pass.

Thanks! We were aware of this, but that would have meant that Hubby would have to take 3 kids, 2 strollers, 3 personal items, and 2 carry-on bags through by himself. If not for the second stroller and the size of the carry-ons, we probably would have done it anyway. But, we decided it just made more sense for me to keep one kid and her accompanying stroller/bags.

Hope the world goes back to normal eventually and you are able to take many more like that.

My goodness, I hope so too!!!

So far, they've only done it on the way home. Although, we also got to go check out a flight simulator in December 2019 and C tossed. My cousin is a flight instructor for a living, so the simulator was real deal, looked like we were flying, and it got us all a little wonky. We started for home and had to stop at a Wawa 10 minutes later for C to vomit. We're thinking, going forward, we can't have a park day complete with rollercoasters and treats and then also fly that night. Flights will have to be non-park days where only wholesome foods have been consumed. We're also thinking of seabands the day of and kids dramomine the day before to see if that helps as well.

I needed Dramamine for travel as a kid (and still take it, especially for car trips when I can't sit up front). I'm not sure how effective it would be the day before - it recommends taking it 30-60 minutes before activity.

I used SeaBands for a long train ride (38+ hours) last summer and it helped on the train, so I tried them on my next flight and they didn't seem as effective for me in the air. I was glad I had Dramamine in my carry-on also. I don't recall ever vomiting on a plane, so I guess it works - I take it just before boarding usually. If I don't, I take it at the very first sign of queasiness.

I needed Dramamine for travel as a kid (and still take it, especially for car trips when I can't sit up front). I'm not sure how effective it would be the day before - it recommends taking it 30-60 minutes before activity.

I used SeaBands for a long train ride (38+ hours) last summer and it helped on the train, so I tried them on my next flight and they didn't seem as effective for me in the air. I was glad I had Dramamine in my carry-on also. I don't recall ever vomiting on a plane, so I guess it works - I take it just before boarding usually. If I don't, I take it at the very first sign of queasiness.

Thanks for this! I think I was confusing the night before Dramamine with the recommendation we found for going on a cruise. We were trying to find nondrowsy options because we didn't want them wiped out the first day of vacation that time. But, I don't mind if they sleep through a flight vomit free. 😉

Thanks for this! I think I was confusing the night before Dramamine with the recommendation we found for going on a cruise. We were trying to find nondrowsy options because we didn't want them wiped out the first day of vacation that time. But, I don't mind if they sleep through a flight vomit free. 😉

They also make a "less-drowsy" version of Dramamine, which I have found very helpful. Regardless, I hope you find something that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter