We are losing the Magic

I was told by the Maintenance Manager (or Engineering) that the fans and Jacuzzis were too much trouble to keep fixing. This is one of the smallest resorts. So how do the larger resorts deal with it? She did say the removal was a big complaint from guests.
Ok Jacuzzis I can understand. They do break down and require a lot of labor in cleaning. But ceiling fans can literally be run non stop for 10 years problem free. You don’t fix them, you replace them at around $90. They probably pay for themselves in reduced ac use by creating a 2-3 degree difference in the air temperature via wind chill. They are a must here in Florida.

Ok Jacuzzis I can understand. They do break down and require a lot of labor in cleaning. But ceiling fans can literally be run non stop for 10 years problem free. You don’t fix them, you replace them at around $90. They probably pay for themselves in reduced ac use by creating a 2-3 degree difference in the air temperature via wind chill. They are a must here in Florida.
Yes, but they've fallen out of favor with decorators.

People actually expect ceiling fans? Been to an expensive hotel in the last decade? None of them have ceiling fans. They're out of style, and I would expect them in a cheap motel.

They're dirty and they break. And this is one of the only cost cuts I agree with, another being online check in. Where's online check out?

We can also email dvd management. I have to look up the email address. For the first time in over 20 years (besides covid) I do NOT have any intentions of booking a trip for the upcoming year. That would have already been done if it wasn’t for all these new negative changes. Think we’ll trade out and go someplace new. Who needs this aggravation - it is, after all, supposed to be a vacation.

Jmho
Dee

We can also email dvd management. I have to look up the email address. For the first time in over 20 years (besides covid) I do NOT have any intentions of booking a trip for the upcoming year. That would have already been done if it wasn’t for all these new negative changes. Think we’ll trade out and go someplace new. Who needs this aggravation - it is, after all, supposed to be a vacation.

Jmho
Dee

Good to know. I’ll look around for the email as well.

Im already brainstorming 2022 alternatives to WDW. I’m willing to spend but it’s gotta be worth it! I’ve been other places…I like other places too!

I’m thinking Vegas/Bryce/Zion National parks. My husband has never been to Vegas and either of us have ever been to those two nationals. Or CA Newport coast or SF. We’ll see. I’m done with the mouse until they get it together (outside of my resort only trip in dec!!! Booked long ago!:duck:

People actually expect ceiling fans? Been to an expensive hotel in the last decade? None of them have ceiling fans. They're out of style, and I would expect them in a cheap motel.

They're dirty and they break. And this is one of the only cost cuts I agree with, another being online check in. Where's online check out?

Yes, we have been to disney POFQ alot, last time right before the pandemic. They have fans and they are greatly appreciated. I am surprised to see that some of the deluxes don't have them anymore. We also stayed at POR and had fans there too. We love the fans, and fYI, they were never dirty, and non ever broke for us.

Yes, we have been to disney POFQ alot, last time right before the pandemic. They have fans and they are greatly appreciated. I am surprised to see that some of the deluxes don't have them anymore. We also stayed at POR and had fans there too. We love the fans, and fYI, they were never dirty, and non ever broke for us.
When we checked into SSR in June this year, we were very pleased to see they kept the ceiling fans when they renovated the villas there! We miss them very much when we don't have them!

The magic started going away the Day Iger took control. Looking at him reminds me of a man thinking of stealing the gold in your teeth. Looking at Chapek makes me think that he will steal the gold in your teeth. Magic left soon after Eisner left……..but at least the shareholders are happy.

While Eisner was great in the 80s, he put in place arguably the single biggest catalyst for the corporate greed we are seeing today: executive compensation in the form of stock options. His salary was comparatively low compared to the tens of millions he received in options and grants, which made him a billionaire. It effectively made him one of the largest single shareholders, second only to Sid Bass, who was a board member and one of very few people who could override Eisner. As this form of compensation expanded to the rest of the executive team, the company's leadership was totally aligned to the interest of the shareholders, who obviously demand ever increasing profits.

As an example that Eisner wasn't very different to the current management, one of the very first things he did when he became CEO was to raise park admission prices, which prior to his tenure, Disney was always hesitant to do. Before Eisner, Disney still followed the "what would Walt do?" philosophy. That changed with Eisner. It became all about shareholder's interest and monetizing Walt's legacy as much as possible. Iger continued this and Chapek is the epitome of it. The main difference was Eisner was at least creative. Iger just bought other people's ideas and Chapek does neither. Chapek is all about squeezing every last cent out of what was developed before him.

They got rid of fans at BCV? Ugh. BCV is our first home resort since 2002. I love the villas with an overhead fan. Mine at home stays on year round. Stayed at a value once and hated it because of the beds and no fan. WHy take these away?

I don’t think Disney will gain 2 guests for every loyal customer lost. We brought non Disney quests twice to WDW in the last year and they were not impressed with the value. .,,,No interest in returning.
Loyal Disney customers are realizing we have a dose of Stockholm syndrome. I recently converted old Disney vacation vhs tapes to digital and today’s Disney is arrogant and greedy. We’ll keep our DVC contracts and use it as a home base for Orlando attractions.
I’ve always wanted to do the sea world attraction where you can swim with dolphins but thought it was too much at $200pp😜

it now seems super reasonable. Stay at boardwalk, or even rent out all our points.

I’m not giving up Disney until the youngest is 12. So I guess 4 more years.Then we sell our dvc. The value isn’t there anymore, and I’m sad but life changes.

We were there in April and had a great trip. Split stay between AKL and Boardwalk.
In all the years that we have owned DVC, there have been changes almost every year. Our last trip had the greatest changes. We missed the characters in HS and the entertainment along the Boardwalk. Hoping it will be back for our October trip.

I’ve always wanted to do the sea world attraction where you can swim with dolphins but thought it was too much at $200pp😜

it now seems super reasonable. Stay at boardwalk, or even rent out all our points.

I’m not giving up Disney until the youngest is 12. So I guess 4 more years. Then we sell our dvc. The value isn’t there anymore, and I’m sad but life changes.
Lets see, spend over $219.00 on a light sabre that my get used or broken in a couple of months or give your kids a memory that will last a lifetime for ~ $200.00?
Disney is making other options where you chose to spend your money seem reasonable. If we rent our points out thru an agency at $16.00 , minus the yearly maintenance fees we still would "earn" a little over 7% on what we paid per point so I would not sell my contracts at this time but may rent them out and use that money to travel elsewhere.

I’m not giving up Disney until the youngest is 12. So I guess 4 more years.Then we sell our dvc. The value isn’t there anymore, and I’m sad but life changes.

This is a very valid point. With things like the christmas and halloween party you are now competing with true premiun all inclusive experiences right up the road like Discovery Cove.

Hey kids would you rather get free candy, and some shorter lines, or do you want to swim with the dolphins and have any snacks you want all day?

I’m thinking Vegas/Bryce/Zion National parks. My husband has never been to Vegas and either of us have ever been to those two nationals. Or CA Newport coast or SF. We’ll see. I’m done with the mouse until they get it together (outside of my resort only trip in dec!!! Booked long ago!:duck:

Not a fan of Vegas, but I HIGHLY recommend the National Parks of southern Utah. Bryce and Zion are spectacular, so are Arches and Capital Reef.

I can also recommend the northern coast of CA and the entire coast of Oregon, both are gorgeous.

Dropped our WDW 50th anniversary trip-- doing a Holland America cruise from Boston to Nova Scotia to Iceland. Had done other Holland America cruises and can't say enough good things about them

Last edited:
Hey kids would you rather get free candy, and some shorter lines, or do you want to swim with the dolphins and have any snacks you want all day?
I've thought about his many times when I think about "leaving" Disney for other options. The thing about Disney is they keep growing and adding and changing and they keep piquing my interest and making me want to come back. More so than any other option. And those dolphins deserve to be free from captivity. For at least a little but longer, I prefer a fake mouse😉.

Not a fan of Vegas, but I HIGHLY recommend the National Parks of southern Utah. Bryce and Zion are spectacular, so are Arches and Capital Reef.

I can also recommend the northern coast of CA and the entire coast of Oregon, both are gorgeous.

wow! Thank you!!! I’m looking at summer of 2022 or October (which is doable but a bit more difficult since we’re both 12 month employees of school districts)

wow! Thank you!!! I’m looking at summer of 2022 or October (which is doable but a bit more difficult since we’re both 12 month employees of school districts)

Any suggestions on where to stay with RCI points through DVC? Thank you again😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter